Magnolia Record Club

Looking at Facebook, Shakey seems more divisive then I would have imagined. Maybe a straight up country record is a bad idea for the club.

I’ve never really understood Shakey and swapped him out last minute for the Pumas, can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction. I almost kept it because it was gorgeous but I’ll spin the Pumas more.

I’ve never really understood Shakey and swapped him out last minute for the Pumas, can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction. I almost kept it because it was gorgeous but I’ll spin the Pumas more.
I’ve always thought of him as being cut from the same cloth as John Hartford. I listen to a lots of roots oriented music and just love his whole approach.

1618584190876.png

View attachment 95823

I hadn't heard her before and this is SO good. Big old blind spot. The Spotify stream is giving me literal goosebumps. I really wish this was a discovery track for selfish purposes but I've gone from an "I don't know who this is" to "I have to get this right?" in like eight minutes.

I really do like how recently Magnolia has been making, seemingly, a concerted effort to promote releases by more diverse artists. The main track is still very homogenous but lots of really interesting artists in Discovery and the store options.

I hadn't heard her before and this is SO good. Big old blind spot. The Spotify stream is giving me literal goosebumps. I really wish this was a discovery track for selfish purposes but I've gone from an "I don't know who this is" to "I have to get this right?" in like eight minutes.

I really do like how recently Magnolia has been making, seemingly, a concerted effort to promote releases by more diverse artists. The main track is still very homogenous but lots of really interesting artists in Discovery and the store options.
Amythyst is in Our Native Daughters. Her debut is excellent and available through @soulsteprecords

Amythyst is a phenomenal artist. I live about 20 minutes from Bristol (the birthplace of country music). There is a video of her singing a song titled “Firewater” from her time at the Birthplace of Country Music Museum, and it showcases just how mighty her voice is.
I found this and have now watched it about 9.457 times.

For everyone else:

If you haven't created your account yet, you automatically get 25 points for creating it.

I hate to be the pessimist on this, but this really feels like an area that should be linked to the club membership. It feels silly that these two aren't linked and that someone in the club, who is already spending 300+ a year as part of that, isn't getting any of these fringe benefits that someone who spends that in the store would get. Giving a default silver membership to full year subscribers* or crediting money spent as part of the sub even on a monthly basis feels like it would be appropriate. It would have been nice to credit folks who did have a history in the store too to some extent, even if it was within the last 3-6 months even.

If you go into your account you can earn points by following on IG, having a birthday, sharing on FB, making 15 (!?!??!?!) purchases (really, 15 is the bonus?), etc. I am unsure what the anniversary is but you can set a date to have that added it seems (I just did my first purchase date last July). Can't unsub and resub to texts to get those points it seems though a ghost number may have that work.

I feel like 250 and 500 as the tiers is a little rough, but a total over 5% savings overall is pretty nice if you use your points, up to 7.5% if you are gold. It's similar in that sense to the Hot Topic/Boxlunch systems. I think having free shipping as a reward in there would have been a really compelling touch.

*I am month to month, but for those who aren't...

Last edited:
Back