Magnolia Record Club

He’s one of those ones that I circle like a vulture but hasn’t landed yet.

When I saw the preorder this morning on Dualtone, I thought it might be a discovery pick but Magnolia had other ideas. But keep those store exclusives coming, they are ok by me.

Got my Kathleen and CMA today. The mailer had an extra piece of cardboard in it today to prevent too much movement. That was nice to see, not that I've ever had any issues with damaged items coming in from them. Looking forward to a couple new spins

Same here - unfortunately another MRC signed album where it looks like the marker was running out when CMA signed it. That's at least the 3rd from them that have been that way!

Same here - unfortunately another MRC signed album where it looks like the marker was running out when CMA signed it. That's at least the 3rd from them that have been that way!

That's a bummer. If you wanted to raise a fuss I can verify it's the not the case on mine so they may have a clearer signature in the warehouse available (it's a short signature but clear). You wouldn't think markers would be in short supply but...

That's a bummer. If you wanted to raise a fuss I can verify it's the not the case on mine so they may have a clearer signature in the warehouse available (it's a short signature but clear). You wouldn't think markers would be in short supply but...

Nah, not a big deal. Glad yours looks clear!

So, I’m thinking my ROTM was stolen on Friday. I received an email saying it had been delivered, but I have been unable to locate it on the premises. I reached out to CS and they wished me luck, and hoped it turned up. I don’t like being petty, but may cancel over the response if I can’t get them to ship out another copy. They’ve always been good with damaged records, so I’m not sure why this can’t be handled as such.

That's an interesting response for sure. I definitely get that this is less their "fault" than potential packaging causing damages or records being warped or the like but I wonder if you got a grumpy CS rep or something. Hopefully they can work it out for you and I guess now we know? Yeesh.

Does Magnolia charge a month in advance for shipments? I could have sworn I cancelled my sub last month (I know, it hurt to do, but my salary was reduced and I have to reign in my discretionary spending), but I just received CMA and Kathleen. Was my payment at the beginning of July for August's shipment? Or was this a mistaken shipment that I need to check into?

Does Magnolia charge a month in advance for shipments? I could have sworn I cancelled my sub last month (I know, it hurt to do, but my salary was reduced and I have to reign in my discretionary spending), but I just received CMA and Kathleen. Was my payment at the beginning of July for August's shipment? Or was this a mistaken shipment that I need to check into?

Usually payments come out on the 26th of the month for the following months box. So they would have charged in late July for your August box.

Usually payments come out on the 26th of the month for the following months box. So they would have charged in late July for your August box.

Ahhh, that makes sense. My sub always charges on the 2nd of the month, which is before I receive that month's shipment, hence my confusion about what month each payment is in relation to. I forgot that people had different billing dates/was thinking on a VMP billing timeline where they bill on the 2nd for the record that is (supposedly) arriving that same month. Thanks!

How did you guys find the sound quality of this pressing? While the album is absolutely brilliant, I found the sound of the vinyl a little dull, slightly muffled. I dip in and out of Magnolia, but am curious how their exclusives sound on the whole....?
I mean they’re like most clubs. The source is the source. They aren’t commissioning different pressings, they are commissioning variants of the same presiding. I love Dualtone’s (Mag’s parent company’s) roster but they are not a company interested in making Audiophile pressings. So, pressing varies each month depending on the source company and their choice of mastering, lacquer cutter, and ultimate pressing plant.

Last edited:
We have to be getting a comp this month. I know of no big albums being released this coming month that would be on Magnolia’s radar. This would be a good month to do some kind of classic county release.

Last edited:
Back