Louisiana

Start leaving your phone on the charger now, even if you’re going to use it.

When power goes out , bring down brightness turn off wifi and Bluetooth as your device will make attempts to look for the bands / provide the bands. Turning these two off can help extended battery life. This of course is assuming you will still have cell service.

Start leaving your phone on the charger now, even if you’re going to use it.

When power goes out , bring down brightness turn off wifi and Bluetooth as your device will make attempts to look for the bands / provide the bands. Turning these two off can help extended battery life. This of course is assuming you will still have cell service.
I know it's a little late for this advice but I've also made great usage of the iPhone's accessibility settings that allow you to triple-click the righthand button to toggle the "low light" zoom filter. I don't know why that feature is housed under Zoom, but basically it gets the screen dimmer than any setting you can get through the normal brightness controls. I'm not really sure how much of a boost it gives battery life, if any, but it's much easier on the eyes in the dark.

Settings --> Accessibility --> Zoom --> Zoom Filter --> Select 'Low Light.' (also make sure your Zoom Region is set to 'Full Screen Zoom.')
Then go back out to Accessibility, and scroll down to 'Accessibility Shortcut' --> Select 'Zoom.'

That should set you up to be able to triple-click that righthand wake button to switch between low light/standard light. On occasion, my phone seems to get confused and will actually start to zoom in at the same time it's going to low light. If that happens, the only thing I've found to reset the controls is to reboot the phone.

Dumb tip at this point in a natural disaster, I know. I hope you all are safe and sound.

Last edited:
My hometown got a direct hit, and for a couple days there I was expecting that my parents would return to a destroyed house, but from what I'm hearing my dad made it back this morning and the damage was thankfully not extensive...which is more than I can say for the rest of the area. The St. Charles parish president said last night that he's "confident that every structure in the parish has sustained some level of damage"

It'll be a while before the river parishes are back on their feet again, it seems.

We’re okay. We still don’t have power so I took the kids to my parents because they have a big, fancy house generator. My husband talked to a neighbor who said he talked to someone with the power company who said we’re supposed to have power by tomorrow. I’m interested to see how these new fiber lines held up to the storm.

Don’t worry, the record collection kept dry.

Back