Louisiana

Looks like parts of NY/NJ got their bippy kicked with flooding last night. The scenes from the U.S. Open were pretty bizarre.

First timer, taking the wife for her birthday. Any suggestions on my itinerary so far:

4/28 -

Fly in AM

Explore the FQ

Po Boy Lunch

Dinner at Restaurant R’evolution 630pm

Claypool’s Bastard Jazz 10pm at the Orpheum.

4/29 -

Cafe Du Monde for Coffee and Beignets

Lunch at Cochon 12pm

Fairgrounds

Dinner at Seaworthy 6pm / Restaurant at Ace so that we can shower before Galactic

Galactic 9pm at Tipitinas

4/30 -

Hang at Ace / Walk FQ for Coffee

Fairgrounds Lunch

Dinner at Herbsaint 545pm

Preservation Hall 730pm

Glass of wine at Bacchanal

5/1 -

Atchafalaya Brunch 10am

Fairgrounds

Whatever we stumble into at night

First timer, taking the wife for her birthday. Any suggestions on my itinerary so far:

4/28 -

Fly in AM

Explore the FQ

Po Boy Lunch

4/29 -

Lunch at Cochon 12pm

Fairgrounds

Dinner at Seaworthy 6pm / Restaurant at Ace so that we can shower before Galactic

4/30 -

Fairgrounds Lunch

Preservation Hall 730pm

5/1 -

Atchafalaya Brunch 10am

Fairgrounds

Brunch at Elizabeth’s was always my go-to when I lived in New Orleans and people came to visit.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into Elizabeth’s. Part of me feels like we’re not giving enough attention to the fairgrounds, but I think both of us are more of the mind to just pop over there to check out some local acts and then hit a couple of these restaurants my wife really wanted to go to. I guess time will tell for us newbies.

4/28 -

Fly in AM

Explore the FQ

Po Boy Lunch

4/29 -

Lunch at Cochon 12pm

Fairgrounds

4/30 -

Fairgrounds Lunch

Preservation Hall 730pm

5/1 -

Atchafalaya Brunch 10am

Fairgrounds

Can I suggest that when you are in the French Quarter that you look in on the French Market? For the longest time it was mostly produce sold in the middle part--before you get to all the non-food vendors, but I was looking for gluten free eating in the city and there's a crepe place that's there now. I'm sure there are several other neat places to eat.

I'm very jealous that you are staying at Ace. I did a day long yoga retreat there and I thought it was really nice.

Also, though it looks like your dance card is rather full, Magazine Street is another place that I often recommend to people. There are tons of cool little places to shop and eat. There's even a place where you can order a picnic basket and eat it in City Park. And we're going to make a trip out to the city with the kids very soon to see the Egyptian exhibit at NOMA. If y'all are big on art then I would suggest this and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.

4/28 -

Fly in AM

Explore the FQ

Po Boy Lunch

4/29 -

Lunch at Cochon 12pm

Fairgrounds

4/30 -

Fairgrounds Lunch

Preservation Hall 730pm

5/1 -

Atchafalaya Brunch 10am

Fairgrounds

Looks like your food card is pretty full, but if you have a chance, go get a sandwich from Turkey and the Wolf!

Walk down Royal and duck into the art galleries.

And while it's pretty touristy, and I usually hate doing the obvious touristy things, I'd recommend doing one of the Haunted History tours if that's at all interesting to you, because they're actually pretty cool tours...I've only done the standard FQ walking tour before, but the cemetery tours are popular too.

Also I +1 @nolalady's French Market suggestion, it's a fun way to kill some time (and there are public restrooms, which smell terrible but you *will* need them at some point)

@nolalady Will definitely check out the French Market, sounds like something we’d really enjoy.

Will try to squeeze in some art, but maybe that could be the focus of our future return trip!

Thanks all

I'm in NOLA now since end of Jan. Its been a wild time and I love it.
Where y'at?

I'm in the burbs. Hubs won't let me drive in NOLA alone because of all the women getting targeted for carjacking, but we should be going out to the city once football starts since we're splitting season tickets with a friend.

Where y'at?

I'm in the burbs. Hubs won't let me drive in NOLA alone because of all the women getting targeted for carjacking, but we should be going out to the city once football starts since we're splitting season tickets with a friend.
YAY! I've been thinking about ya since I moved out here. And now that I'm mentally back, its good to talk to you again! I'll leave the specifics of where I'm at vague since ya know, interwebz weirdos, but suffice to say I spend a lot of time in the Quarter and in the Garden District.

My partner works in the quarter so I'm there a lot. Would be cool to see ya one of these days for coffee, food, music, super hangs.

Back