Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

In the name of insurance purposes and posterity (and some requests), I'm uploading my updated collection that spans three rooms in my house. This one is long but I won't do it again for a long time lol

Couch currently storing records:

View attachment 149973

Blurry pic of this stack in my dining room
View attachment 149970

This new piece I got, LAST ONE i swear to god. This one is full and no more records:
View attachment 149972

The OG shelf. Now just a piece of an overall exhibit:
View attachment 149980

The office box set shelf 1:

View attachment 149974

Box set shelf 2 with my dumb camera auto focusing out the glorious Bjork 5.1 surround box set on top.
View attachment 149975

Ok thanks for the tour @nolalady @mawesome @JonnyH and @sarcasticfairyprincess now you see the BDR corporate HQ!
Gotta assume you don't have a wife/partner/significant other! 😀
😀😀

If you have gap between the shelf and the wall I would not recommend noodle pools. I tried for a while but the weird mushy unevenness annoyed me. Those backspacers are not perfect but they do the job! This is in my experience. Some others have better experience with noodles.

If you have gap between the shelf and the wall I would not recommend noodle pools. I tried for a while but the weird mushy unevenness annoyed me. Those backspacers are not perfect but they do the job! This is in my experience. Some others have better experience with noodles.
This is exactly why I switched to the backspacers. Pool noodles never quite worked right for me since my cubes were never fully back.

I've also made some before by cutting these wood pieces i found at home depot. They're solid but I glued them on my shelf. Which i guess I'd never use these shelves for anything else but I wish I hadn't done so. The backspacers have this tape thats good and the spacers themselves are light enough to be held by tape.

20221130_105115.jpg

So, backspacers or pool noodles?
Only thing I'd say about the pool noodles is that if you don't have your shelf against a back wall, you can cut the noodles a bit longer than the shelf space and wedge it in to hold it in place, which might not give you quite as perfect a line as the backspacers, but should work just fine.

I'm sensing an overhaul of the "Music Room" this coming year, I've eclipsed the 1000 mark in the collection and space is becoming an issue.......again. I've purged my collection, I've gotten really picky on purchases, but I still find myself with albums I'm looking for AND not seeing a lot in the collection I really want to part with.

If I had albums that were in the collection just for the sake of having ( I do, but there's literally 5-10), it would be easier to just store those and file the rest, but I really do bounce all over my collection when listening and use the good ole' random button on Cogs regularly.

My wife made a valid point...
"As long as I've known you, you've been all about music, albums, CDs, digital files. Your tastes cover a wide range of styles and genres, did you really think you could set a stopping point? There is too much music to be heard and even at a 1000, your only scratching the surface of what's out there that you might like and want to have. Your collection is organized and neat, you don't have boxes and albums piled up all over, I'm sure you'll figure it out" - She left me shocked and wondering who this person was, and where was my wife ;)

All kidding aside she raised a valid point, and it was also nice to get an update on her thoughts about this hobby in general................still doesn't make the task any easier, lol.

PS - Ya, she's a keeper 🥰

Last edited:
I'm sensing an overhaul of the "Music Room" this coming year, I've eclipsed the 1000 mark in the collection and space is becoming an issue.......again. I've purged my collection, I've gotten really picky on purchases, but I still find myself with albums I'm looking for AND not seeing a lot in the collection I really want to part with.

If I had albums that were in the collection just for the sake of having ( I do, but there's literally 5-10), it would be easier to just store those and file the rest, but I really do bounce all over my collection when listening and use the good ole' random button on Cogs regularly.

My wife made a valid point...
"As long as I've known you, you've been all about music, albums, CDs, digital files. Your tastes cover a wide range of styles and genres, did you really think you could set a stopping point? There is too much music to be heard and even at a 1000, your only scratching the surface of what's out there that you might like and want to have. Your collection is organized and neat, you don't have boxes and albums piled up all over, I'm sure you'll figure it out" - She left me shocked and wondering who this person was, and where was my wife ;)

All kidding aside she raised a valid point, and it was also to get an update on her thoughts about this hobby in general................still doesn't make the task any easier, lol.

PS - Ya, she's a keeper 🥰
Keeper indeed! She knows you and still loves you--can't ask for more than that! 😘 Good luck with the project.

Shifted my Sun Ra section over to the bookshelf below my Sun Ra (and Prince...for now) library to make some room in the cubes for records on the floor. Also shuffled a few of my Sun Ra-adjacent titles back into gen pop.

20221223_104217.jpg
20221223_104101.jpg
20221223_103606.jpg

I dig having it all together for now, though there isn't much room to grow on the record shelf - Prince can shuffle to another shelf as needed. Not all the We Jazz magazines have Sun Ra content and some of the non-Sun Ra-specific titles only have a chapter or so of Ra material - these will shuffle accordingly if, and as, needed once the Prince titles are gone.

Shifted my Sun Ra section over to the bookshelf below my Sun Ra (and Prince...for now) library to make some room in the cubes for records on the floor. Also shuffled a few of my Sun Ra-adjacent titles back into gen pop.

View attachment 162032
View attachment 162033
View attachment 162034

I dig having it all together for now, though there isn't much room to grow on the record shelf - Prince can shuffle to another shelf as needed. Not all the We Jazz magazines have Sun Ra content and some of the non-Sun Ra-specific titles only have a chapter or so of Ra material - these will shuffle accordingly if, and as, needed once the Prince titles are gone.
Record collecting is an exercise in ever-evolving logic. Love it!

There is too much music to be heard and even at a 1000, your only scratching the surface of what's out there that you might like and want to have. Your collection is organized and neat, you don't have boxes and albums piled up all over, I'm sure you'll figure it out"

It definitely is important to have an understanding/tolerant spouse. Speaking of which, I asked my wife a few weeks ago how she would feel about me taking over the spare bedroom for more record storage. I either had to purge or get more rack space. And, the music room was at shelf capacity looking cluttered. No good.

But, with no hassle full spousal approval I’ve been cleaning up and clearing out my son’s old room. This is adjacent to the main music room so the collection will now have a dedicated media storage room. Going to be nice to be able to fully organize and properly display everything. Got a ways to go yet but definitely gaining on it. Pics to come.

Back