Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

buy another shelf. ill photoshop it into this picture for you. when she asks if you did it behind her back you can play the "honey you never pay any attention to me - ive had this shelf for years" move. then show her the pic dated years ago on this forum. were here for you brother!

While it looks mostly the same as last time, I’ve fully outgrown my available storage space. They’re starting to stack up on the right of the cabinet and the wife has said I can’t get another. 😮View attachment 27715

My wife is the best. Gives me a lot of leeway. More shelves. More space. She just plays along but knows the truth. I keep buying records....

For years I used the fact that I was bringing records out of storage into the main music room as I played them for why the shelves were always filling up...

Then she casually mentioned that the storage room still had lots of records in it. So I patiently explained that that was true however I now store all my records behind the jackets in the plastic sleeves. So naturally they now take up twice the space. I don’t think she is really buying it....

My wife is similar. She'll note the new records in the mail, but that's it. We see probably 40 or so bands a year, and she waits patiently after the shows so I can get vinyl and posters signed. If we're at a festival with multiple stages, she'll chase autographs one way while I go the other way. She's persuasive too. One time I went to a meet and greet for Mondo Cozmo. I arrived too late because I had tracked down Courtney Marie Andrews first. They cut the line off and wouldn't let me in. So as I stand there thinking I missed out, someone taps me on the shoulder. It was Joshua, Mondo Cozmo himself. He said he met my wife and she pointed me out. He had jumped over the barriers to talk to me. My wife told him they wouldn't let me in. He introduced himself, thanked me for supporting him, spoke briefly with me. He had a full tent of people waiting for him. As he ran back I see my wife smiling and waving back at me. She got everything signed, stole a hug and a photo with him as well. She always has my back.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a STRONG record storage until capable of holding 500+ LPs. The Ikea Pine (the higher end of their Vinyl related units) began to warp down the center after a couple of years due to a lack of middle legs. I responded (in the summer of 18') by buying and attaching feet that were the same listed stock height as the legs that came with it. BUT they must have been a couple of mm off because my collection proceeded to warp over the course of that summer.

I had thought it was due to a heat wave (no central AC), however, after not touching my collection for about a year (while waiting to move to a more LP friendly location), I recently started going through my collection. Some of the LP's that were bought post-heat wave are now warped. Ironically, some of the ones that had warped are now fine too. So...

I'm thinking of using the portion of the stimulus check that I don't put into savings / stocks on buying a new shelf and hoping that a perfectly level shelf + a hot summer might actually unwarp some of these suckers. Problem is- finding a shelf made of a really strong wood that isn't outrageously expensive.

Last edited:
I own under 250 records and thinking that 500 will be my cap.

giphy.gif

I own under 250 records and thinking that 500 will be my cap.

Yeah, I would say good luck with that. I initially thought that 400-500 would be enough (and certainly my significant other thought that even more so) and let's just say it is well over 600 and counting, even with having slowed down considerably.

Yeah, I would say good luck with that. I initially thought that 400-500 would be enough (and certainly my significant other thought that even more so) and let's just say it is well over 600 and counting, even with having slowed down considerably.
This conversation came up with a few friends just recently and as we talked I came to the realization that if you're a music lover you would have to actually work at keeping your collections small. Even with my "Quality over Quantity" mantra, I'm starting to see that going over the 1k mark is really possible, it make take a while, but it'll happen.

Last edited:
I said my max was 700...I’m slowly creeping upwards and almost in need of more storage soon ...let’s see if the wife agrees tho 😂

This conversation came up with a few friends just recently and as we talked I came to the realization that if you're a music lover you would have to actually work at keeping your collections small. Even with my "Quality over Quantity" mantra, I'm starting to see that going over the 1k mark is really possible, it make take a while, but it'll happen.

Don't worry, the second thousand will take less time! :LOL:

Back