Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

It is hard to detach the record from the intervening 47 years. Back in 1971 this was a weird pan-sexual, androgynous Bob Dylan pastiche. But because something is overplayed does not equate to overrated. He was often foreshadowing his next album with his current. I actually thing HD is a trial run of Ziggy. He also started recording Ziggy in early November 71, over a month before HD was released.

It is hard to detach the record from the intervening 47 years. Back in 1971 this was a weird pan-sexual, androgynous Bob Dylan pastiche. But because something is overplayed does not equate to overrated. He was often foreshadowing his next album with his current. I actually thing HD is a trial run of Ziggy. He also started recording Ziggy in early November 71, over a month before HD was released.

I don't think I'm really saying overrated, more that it just doesn't hit the serious artistic highs that his later catalogue hits. And I'm just not super into its style really.

Thank you! I like to think most people do and a lot of that was kind of faux outrage @botherly he can like and dislike what he likes I’m just kind of a bit shocked at such a negative reaction to that one haha!

I think I'm laying on my dislike a little thick because your faux outrage is funny to be honest! It really is a good album.................... just not that good.

I don't think I'm really saying overrated, more that it just doesn't hit the serious artistic highs that his later catalogue hits. And I'm just not super into its style really.

I think I'm laying on my dislike a little thick because your faux outrage is funny to be honest! It really is a good album.................... just not that good.

Yeah I think you feel about that one how I feel about Diamond Dogs haha!

Last edited:
Queen Bitch is fine. Life on Mars? is good. Overall it sounds like what it is: a record still doing the 60s rock thing but not quite coming up into the modern 70s era.

Changes was probably a good song when I first heard it but now it's just annoying.

I'm also a huge Bowie fan who doesn't really love Hunky Dory. Yes, I also much prefer the Station to Station to Scary Monsters stretch (these bookends being my top 2 Bowie albums). Hunky Dory is fine but it's not a top 5 Bowie album to me.

Edit: maybe not even top 10 (though again, this has more to do with the quality of his catalog).

Totally get that. He was still trying to find himself. Only a few months before he was fiddling with the whole Arnold Corns concept, where someone else would front the band that he would orchestrate from behind the scenes

Watchit Joe, you leave the greatest coke-fueled disco-rock album alone

I mean it’s good and Rebel Rebel is exceptional but I’ve never been the hugest fan of concept albums and I prefer most of the other stuff around it. I still think it’s part of the greatest run of consistently top level albums any artist has done. I consider that to be Hunky Dory to Let’s Dance, not that anyone was asking...

Yeah but Diamond Dogs is an incomplete and incoherent mess. Fortunately, it’s Bowie and that means it’s better than 90% of the rest of music.

That’ll be the mountains of Columbias finest. I think it’s more of a testament to him that he released a series of ultra coherent masterpieces in the midst of an addiction to a drug that seems to destroy the creativity of piles of lesser artists!

Yeah and holy shit is Tonight bad.... Hours is mediocre soft rock easy listening bland but Tonight is legitimately bad (minus Loving the Alien).
Yup, definitely hard to defend that one. Other than Loving the Alien and Blue Jean I can't do it. It is amazing that during a period where he produced so much shit, he still write some pretty great songs; Loving the Alien, Absolute Beginners and Julia are all wonderful I think.

But holy crap, the run from Diamond Dogs (whether you like it or not) in early 74, up the start of recording Low in late 1976 is truly an amazing creative period. Diamond Dogs, (Gouster), Young Americans, StationToStation to starting Low all in 30 months

Yup, definitely hard to defend that one. Other than Loving the Alien and Blue Jean I can't do it. It is amazing that during a period where he produced so much shit, he still write some pretty great songs; Loving the Alien, Absolute Beginners and Julia are all wonderful I think.

But holy crap, the run from Diamond Dogs (whether you like it or not) in early 74, up the start of recording Low in late 1976 is truly an amazing creative period. Diamond Dogs, (Gouster), Young Americans, StationToStation to starting Low all in 30 months

and to think he threw out The Gouster in that period. That album has been a revelation to me since I got the box!

Back