Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

So with the pool noodles, do you slice them in half lengthwise too (to create half circle) or just cut to length and shove in?
Just cut them about an inch more than the length and jam them into the back. If you have a back on the Kallax and really want to save, you can cut them in half longway. I wouldn’t recommend this though.

dont use the pool noodles. i copped the window insulation foam roll (one side is self adhesive, looks like a real skinny rolled up cinnabon, costs a few bucks a roll of 25 feet). simply clean the shelf, measure the tape, peel and stick. provides a nice bumper at the back that still soft enough not to damage your lp corners...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 3
Will need to snap a picture tonight but I got my pool noodles in and it works great! A lot less nerve wracking than gluing backs in.
Current picture of my collection... complete with pool noodle stops on the 4x4!

6yMPZh7.jpg
Just cut them about an inch more than the length and jam them into the back. If you have a back on the Kallax and really want to save, you can cut them in half longway. I wouldn’t recommend this though.

I'm gonna be going the pool noodle route in the summer and need to figure out how many I'll need for 81 squares.

If my math is correct I'll need ~88 Feet worth - about 15 6 footers. - if it's about 13 inches per cube...

@Kris, did you happen to measure how long the noodles are per cube?

Last edited:
dont use the pool noodles. i copped the window insulation foam roll (one side is self adhesive, looks like a real skinny rolled up cinnabon, costs a few bucks a roll of 25 feet). simply clean the shelf, measure the tape, peel and stick. provides a nice bumper at the back that still soft enough not to damage your lp corners...

Although, this may be a better option.

I paint and install backs on mine to keep as much dust out as I can, also use sealing Blake sleeves. I mix some books in as well so when I need more room I can take a book out. The lamp is only a 15w bulb, stays on all the time. Hope to keep the bottom row empty now I can’t get down there to find titles too easily anymore I have another 4 cube on each side of the room, and an 8 cube opposite this, sideways with turntables and amp on it, a couple more 4 cubes in the living room with other decor crap on them until I need them. The top row here are mostly my HS records thru about 1991, mostly in reg poly sleeves, the rest I’ve bought since 2008. The cardboard inserts next to The Beatles in Mono box are slipmats.. sadly the US stereo Beatles box doesn’t fit in the cubes, it sits on a 4 cube off to the side.

F2793E58-420D-402A-8049-95B8A0C61BB2.jpeg065B680F-333C-4518-BA56-6CF013560A08.jpeg68FA9D72-58FC-4B1C-B81E-4682495D1164.jpeg

Last edited:
They come in handy for a bunch of things. They’re good for storing knee high boots. Keeps them from flopping over.
Oodles of Noodles Deluxe Famous Foam Pool Noodles Wholesale 4 Pack Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWZIZ1B

I saw another pool noodle 'hack' recently. They essentially lined the inside edge of a baby crib with 4 lengths of the noodle then laid a blanket on top, tucking it over the noodles in between the noodle and the internal crib face. It basically prevents the baby getting their hands trapped in the edges of the crib.

Edit:

Heres a low quality image I found as an example (this doesnt have the blanket over it though)

I'm gonna be going the pool noodle route in the summer and need to figure out how many I'll need for 81 squares.

If my math is correct I'll need ~88 Feet worth - about 15 6 footers. - if it's about 13 inches per cube...

@Kris, did you happen to measure how long the noodles are per cube?
I cut 13.5" lengths per cube.

I paint and install backs on mine to keep as much dust out as I can,
yeah I'm start to find dusty surface noise on records I havent dug out for a year, guess its dust seeping in as I daftly file them away in the poly bags "open end out" for easy access... which also means easy access for dust.

ps your shelves look so epic. my guess would be 1,500 lp's in that pic?

I paint and install backs on mine to keep as much dust out as I can, also use sealing Blake sleeves. I mix some books in as well so when I need more room I can take a book out. The lamp is only a 15w bulb, stays on all the time. Hope to keep the bottom row empty now I can’t get down there to find titles too easily anymore I have another 4 cube on each side of the room, and an 8 cube opposite this, sideways with turntables and amp on it, a couple more 4 cubes in the living room with other decor crap on them until I need them. The top row here are mostly my HS records thru about 1991, mostly in reg poly sleeves, the rest I’ve bought since 2008. The cardboard inserts next to The Beatles in Mono box are slipmats.. sadly the US stereo Beatles box doesn’t fit in the cubes, it sits on a 4 cube off to the side.

View attachment 3698View attachment 3699View attachment 3700
Nicely done :)

Thank you.

There is some waste, but you can get three stoppers per pool noodle.

The only thing the pool noodles have over the insulation tape method might be width? They are the perfect size to make your records be right at the edge.
Yeah, I got 3 and then a piece too short that was just the right size for my daughter to play swimming with her dolls.

I also like that the pool noodle can be moved and isn't permanent to the shelf. #teampoolnoodle

yeah I'm start to find dusty surface noise on records I havent dug out for a year, guess its dust seeping in as I daftly file them away in the poly bags "open end out" for easy access... which also means easy access for dust.

ps your shelves look so epic. my guess would be 1,500 lp's in that pic?

Thanks.
I do open-end out too but with the flap closed. I top-load Poly bags but too much dust was getting in (lived over a main road, and then next to a construction site), and even though I changed all the poly sleeves every few years, the tops just get too dirty for me. I tried the Blake sleeves and there was no going back, they cost the same, look and feel so much nicer.

Your guess is SO close! 1560

090C21A7-E9C7-4E5A-B75E-D12ADC5BCB02.png

Last edited:
Folks using pool noodles..
What are these noodles made of? Hopefully nothing that will breakdown or cause chemical reactions with your records over time. PVC sleeves have shown us we need to carefully consider anything near our beloved records.

Small apartment in the city so my speakers and receiver are for TV use as well. Collection currently stands just over 200 and I think it's probably about as much as I can fit in this current space. Main "new" purchases in the Kallax, with valuables, 7"s, 10"s, and MoFis starting on the left. A couple box sets on the bottom. Second-hand purchases and duplicates/future PIFs under the receiver, and fresh grabs/high-rotation albums to their right.

IMG_20190531_133117.jpgIMG_20190531_133313.jpg

Small apartment in the city so my speakers and receiver are for TV use as well. Collection currently stands just over 200 and I think it's probably about as much as I can fit in this current space. Main "new" purchases in the Kallax, with valuables, 7"s, 10"s, and MoFis starting on the left. A couple box sets on the bottom. Second-hand purchases and duplicates/future PIFs under the receiver, and fresh grabs/high-rotation albums to their right.

View attachment 3811View attachment 3812
*smacks forhead* Using books as filler, why didn't I think of that?! I've just been buying more records to fill the gaps.

Nice setup though! Always like to see a GameCube getting some love.

View attachment 3811View attachment 3812
Yes for Catan! :love:

*smacks forhead* Using books as filler, why didn't I think of that?! I've just been buying more records to fill the gaps.

Nice setup though! Always like to see a GameCube getting some love.
Thanks! The books are mainly so I can reach my hand behind the records and push them back to the front when they slide back. Worked better when I had fewer records, heh.

Folks using pool noodles..
What are these noodles made of? Hopefully nothing that will breakdown or cause chemical reactions with your records over time. PVC sleeves have shown us we need to carefully consider anything near our beloved records.

All my records are sleeved so I guess I don't think about it....I have to draw the line somewhere at my obsessiveness :)

Back