Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

The move to the new room didn’t materialize, but I get new floors (ignore the lack of moldings, contractor is coming back.. lol) a fresh coat of paint and a new rack to go with the new P6 and Musical Fidelity M6x Vinyl. Room is empty, no room treatments.. so sounds like an echo chamber but enjoying hooking everything up with a cold beer. Sitting on the floor listening to some Boz. 1B4AC195-4697-4E06-B886-845569316A3C.jpeg

Obviously not mine. I stopped by a dealer close to my house today to check out some Linn turntables. Big mistake. I think I may have just ruined my baseline of what sounds good. 🤣 They let me sit in there for a couple of hours just playing and listening. OMFG the imaging of the Wilsons was next level.

1634334807358.png

1634334844301.png

Obviously not mine. I stopped by a dealer close to my house today to check out some Linn turntables. Big mistake. I think I may have just ruined my baseline of what sounds good. 🤣 They let me sit in there for a couple of hours just playing and listening. OMFG the imaging of the Wilsons was next level.

View attachment 114957

View attachment 114958
You could slip a microwave into that right rack and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

View attachment 114957

View attachment 114958
OMG NEVER DO THIS, DO NOT EVER DO THIS

What's the limit on night Mathers credit cards?
Dude, I mean my general rule is NEVER listen to a system that severely outpaces my own, unless I'm specifically in the market for one of the pieces of gear contained therein. When I was testing cables I specifically told the rep NOT to send me the top of the line stuff, just low/mid. He sent me all top line. And now I own $6000 worth of cables. Because the difference between them and the low/mid was so stark that I couldn't go back once I heard them in my system. NEVER AGAIN

Dude, I mean my general rule is NEVER listen to a system that severely outpaces my own, unless I'm specifically in the market for one of the pieces of gear contained therein. When I was testing cables I specifically told the rep NOT to send me the top of the line stuff just low/mid. He sent me all top line. And now I own $6000 worth of cables. Because the difference between them and the low/mid was so stark that I couldn't go back once I heard them in my system. NEVER AGAIN
I am not a wise man. "How much fucking better could it honestly sound?", "oh yup that's a lot fucking different.". --Me :ROFLMAO:

I will say though, it was pretty cool to head to my fancy pants audiophile local to check out the JBLs, and they fired them up with their audiophile listening rig and my first impression was: meh my system is better. Like I could tell the speakers were gunna rock with my rig but I could also tell there's was below mine.

Now that being said they absolutely had the gear there to crush my system, but for some reason they didn't have it running in their listening room.

I had a similar experience with the Wilson Sabrinas a couple months ago, which might be 1/10th the cost of the Wilson's you listened to, along with an entry level Luxman integrated. I've never "seen" music like that before. Like, I could see the drum set and exactly how it must've been mic'd and mixed because it was right there. Same for the singer and rest of the band - layered dimensional images in front of me.

The fact the Sabrina's are reasonably sized and appropriate for regular rooms has led me to some pretty irrational attempts of rationalizing actually getting a pair (used). On the flip side, knowing what's possible sound quality wise let's me know future upgrades may not really be just a few % points better, but potentially significantly bigger.

20210910_125014.jpg

I rember the old
I had a similar experience with the Wilson Sabrinas a couple months ago, which might be 1/10th the cost of the Wilson's you listened to, along with an entry level Luxman integrated. I've never "seen" music like that before. Like, I could see the drum set and exactly how it must've been mic'd and mixed because it was right there. Same for the singer and rest of the band - layered dimensional images in front of me.

The fact the Sabrina's are reasonably sized and appropriate for regular rooms has led me to some pretty irrational attempts of rationalizing actually getting a pair (used). On the flip side, knowing what's possible sound quality wise let's me know future upgrades may not really be just a few % points better, but potentially significantly bigger.

View attachment 114980
I remember the old Wilson Watt Puppies, they were excellent as well, need allot of power of course, I think they were driven with 200W mono blocks. Right up there with 803's maybe better in some ways. Ended up with Von Schweikert VR-4's. Also great.

I don't post that often here anymore, because life and things...

But, I have upgraded my turntable and this is now my current setup: One of the few (only?) all-Rega systems on these forums.

The upgrade is the addition of the RP8 which I bought second-hand for quite reasonable price.

The system is now: Rega Elex-R, Rega RP8, Rega Neo PSU, Rega Ear, Rega R5.

IMG_20211017_114258.jpg

Things starting to get back together. Decided to go for a better WAF once the remodel was completed. The old furniture just didn’t go with the new look. It’s a work in progress. Replaced the leather couch with a pair of recliners. Added additional record storage, removed a bookcase.. Need a new carpet, floor reflections are real.. lol. Still trying to figure out wall hangings and other touches. For solo listening sessions, I’ll slide a chair to the sweet spot. 66616C68-57F4-452D-BF39-6685E7AF688E.jpeg

As for the system, got the new P6/Ania set up on the new rack and connected to the Musical Fidelity M6x Vinyl. Happy all around.. EEB42485-08FF-47DD-A893-C61F6E38641E.jpeg

View attachment 114957

View attachment 114958
It shouldn't ruin your baseline. It's fun, but the price is just SO unreasonable. That's like saying driving a Lamborghini on a track makes all other cars less fun to drive.

I've found that exposure to the ultra-high end helps me to better identify what I like about my system, and what I'd like to change. It can help you actually appreciate what your system can really do, and usually it can be done for a price that comes in less than the cables of the super system. Let the experience guide where you want your system to go, and diligently buy used and trade up. You'll be surprised how close a system can get to those will diligent system matching and learning to work with your room.

It shouldn't ruin your baseline. It's fun, but the price is just SO unreasonable. That's like saying driving a Lamborghini on a track makes all other cars less fun to drive.

I've found that exposure to the ultra-high end helps me to better identify what I like about my system, and what I'd like to change. It can help you actually appreciate what your system can really do, and usually it can be done for a price that comes in less than the cables of the super system. Let the experience guide where you want your system to go, and diligently buy used and trade up. You'll be surprised how close a system can get to those will diligent system matching and learning to work with your room.
You know what else works really well, don't listen to your system for a few days. Honestly, and I've done this, when you feel your system is lacking, regardless of whether it actually is or you've created it in your head, step away from it for a while. If you can avoid it for like a week, even better. You'll be surprised at how it sounds when you come back to it. ;)

I'll be the first to admit chasing imaginary issues can happen in this hobby. When you're a "tinkerer" even worse, lol. Take a break and reassess the "problem".

You know what else works really well, don't listen to your system for a few days. Honestly, and I've done this, when you feel your system is lacking, regardless of whether it actually is or you've created it in your head, step away from it for a while. If you can avoid it for like a week, even better. You'll be surprised at how it sounds when you come back to it. ;)

I'll be the first to admit chasing imaginary issues can happen in this hobby. When you're a "tinkerer" even worse, lol. Take a break and reassess the "problem".
I was so close to buying an extremely well-kept Dual 1229 someone nearby was selling for $250, even though I am perfectly happy with my Ultradeck.

Addiction to novelty is a disease.

I was so close to buying an extremely well-kept Dual 1229 someone nearby was selling for $250, even though I am perfectly happy with my Ultradeck.

Addiction to novelty is a disease.
True. And much like the urge to replacing my PLX with a 1200 kept leading me to the inevitable questions of "WHY?", I've even canceled my speaker order and keeping the ZUs.

Back