Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

IMG_1310.JPG

The NAD is officially in place, and it is awesome. Dual upgrade between that and the ELAC's. Warmed up with a couple jazz cuts which have never sounded better, and now some Amon Amarth while I watch this playoff game. Even a digital pressing like this is elevated by the new setup, I'd say its money well spent.

And before anyone says anything....yes I know this is less than optimal speaker placement. They're on foam risers to help with isolation, but I can't really separate them anymore until I more out of here...hopefully this year!

View attachment 103390

The NAD is officially in place, and it is awesome. Dual upgrade between that and the ELAC's. Warmed up with a couple jazz cuts which have never sounded better, and now some Amon Amarth while I watch this playoff game. Even a digital pressing like this is elevated by the new setup, I'd say its money well spent.

And before anyone says anything....yes I know this is less than optimal speaker placement. They're on foam risers to help with isolation, but I can't really separate them anymore until I more out of here...hopefully this year!
Looks great. I have mine set up the same way and never thought anything of it. The Kallax shelves are separate and filled with probably 100 pounds of records. I never have trouble with footfalls.

If your near an Ikea you may want to try one of these $20 hard Bamboo cutting boards under your tables, quite a few people use them here. But in general having your speakers on the same surface as your table is not a great idea.

Last edited:
View attachment 103390

Glad the NAD got there in one piece, looks great :)

View attachment 103390

Looks brilliant! I don’t think you’ll have too many problems because the speakers are on different units to the table and are isolated with the foam. If you do want extra isolation the IKEA butchers block isn’t a bad call. I use them on components. Turn it upside down and back to front (so grove is on the bottom and the upside down IKEA logo is on the back) and I super glued a set of these isolation feet to stand it on.

View attachment 103390

You don’t know how close I came to buying that amp to keep as a spare. Well done! Congrats!

So while here in Florida the NAD actually just got it's replacement............you just never know when opportunities come along. Going to be great to come home and have this waiting :)

Marantz PM-14S1 Reference
View attachment 103466

View attachment 103467
I really love the variety between your 2 systems. The tube dominated chain and the solid state. High efficiency, basically crossover less speakers that lean bright, along with less efficient 3 ways that lean warm (I think?). Belt drive vs direct drive tables. You really have a spectrum of gear and it's awesome.

I have similar goals myself (I have the belt vs direct tables, SS and Tube amps) and am really excited to be able to mix and match components. It's a great way to learn more about how your components really sound. I've just swapped back to my PL amp from my SIT-3, and I'm immediately able to better understand both amp's qualities as a result (I already miss the SIT-3). Please share your thoughts on the Marantz. I've been really curious about their higher end stuff.

I really love the variety between your 2 systems. The tube dominated chain and the solid state. High efficiency, basically crossover less speakers that lean bright, along with less efficient 3 ways that lean warm (I think?). Belt drive vs direct drive tables. You really have a spectrum of gear and it's awesome.

I have similar goals myself (I have the belt vs direct tables, SS and Tube amps) and am really excited to be able to mix and match components. It's a great way to learn more about how your components really sound. I've just swapped back to my PL amp from my SIT-3, and I'm immediately able to better understand both amp's qualities as a result (I already miss the SIT-3). Please share your thoughts on the Marantz. I've been really curious about their higher end stuff.
When the bug to build the second rig came along, that was exactly my intention. I really wanted two different systems......honestly, over the last week or so I came close to consolidating down to one, but thought it through and stayed with with both. Oddly enough, I don't find the ZU's to be bright at all, of course it might be the Druid drivers, but they're quite pleasing, different than the Linton's for sure, but both very enjoyable. The Marantz was just luck, but I'm glad it popped up, right place, right time, right price ;)

Let's never do that again, holy crap what a chore.

I didn't think I would get this all done tonight, but I'm glad I did, it was an interesting build/transfer, had a couple minor issue to work around, but I like it. The VTI rack, while a little pricey is very nice, simple, sleek, sturdy and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

I have to play with the speaker placement a bit, maybe, not sure. And of course the stressful part..........firing things up and seeing if I missed a cable or connection, lol
20210709_204954.jpg

Let's never do that again, holy crap what a chore.

I didn't think I would get this all done tonight, but I'm glad I did, it was an interesting build/transfer, had a couple minor issue to work around, but I like it. The VTI rack, while a little pricey is very nice, simple, sleek, sturdy and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

I have to play with the speaker placement a bit, maybe, not sure. And of course the stressful part..........firing things up and seeing if I missed a cable or connection, lol
View attachment 105201
Looks great! What are you doing with your old shelving? Building another setup in another room? ;)

Back