Kanye

I think his mom passing away really messed him up to be honest. I find it all a bit sad...I think he is an amazingly talented producer/musician.
If only he had some good friends to tell him to shut up about everything else.

I think his mom passing away really messed him up to be honest. I find it all a bit sad...I think he is an amazingly talented producer/musician.
I'm probably not going to word this correctly and not that it's anyone's choice, but I often feel that being a true genius in some capacity results in deficits in some other aspect(s) of that individual's life... as if it's almost a trade-off, but again one that the individual has no control over.

Last edited:
It’s becoming increasingly clear to me that he is, in addition to being a talented musician, someone so rich he’s lost touch with reality, exacerbated by mental illness, and a heaping dose of just being a plain old fucking moron.

This is annoying and frustrating (just as Kanye is an annoying and frustrating human) but if Joe Bidena and the democratic party don't have a better argument than Kanye for the people that are going to consider voting for Kanye then Biden deserves to lose. It's pretty ignorant to suggest, as many people will, that black voters lack the sophistication to see through Kanye and that if they do vote for him it's only out of ignorance. Kanye does get that right in the article... it's about the only thing he gets right... and reading some of the things that he states and relays as coming out of the white house are horrifying (not surprising).

I don't care if Kanye is a genius or not, the guy is dangerous. He has enough money and the platform to be dangerous and he will take some people down with him when he falls. The hanger-ons, the Kardashians, the Wyoming minister will all walk away unscathed and Kanye sadly will not. I still hope the guy can get better but it's becoming increasingly unlikely by the moment.

This is annoying and frustrating (just as Kanye is an annoying and frustrating human) but if Joe Bidena and the democratic party don't have a better argument than Kanye for the people that are going to consider voting for Kanye then Biden deserves to lose. It's pretty ignorant to suggest, as many people will, that black voters lack the sophistication to see through Kanye and that if they do vote for him it's only out of ignorance. Kanye does get that right in the article... it's about the only thing he gets right... and reading some of the things that he states and relays as coming out of the white house are horrifying (not surprising).

I don't care if Kanye is a genius or not, the guy is dangerous. He has enough money and the platform to be dangerous and he will take some people down with him when he falls. The hanger-ons, the Kardashians, the Wyoming minister will all walk away unscathed and Kanye sadly will not. I still hope the guy can get better but it's becoming increasingly unlikely by the moment.
I thought he couldn’t legit run due to some paper work stuff...

im requesting we flag this entire thread until kanye is no longer running for president. has anyone seen the totally uninformed vitriol out of his mouth as to why hes running and what he plans to do? basically just saying that everything is going to be gods plan. please, someone get ye some mental health and good meds without the crazy side effects. mental health problems are real and nothing to be made fun of but this shit is too much; especially now.

I don't know the details about being put on the ballot in individual states. I think regardless, if he does actively campaign, there will be a significant write-in push, which may be more effective than usual given that more and more people will be voting by mail. Also, an active Kanye West campaign could be just as effective at convincing some people to not vote who may have voted otherwise. Of course, that just speaks to how weak the the candidates are and how much the control of the 2 party system has.

He has missed a number of filing deadlines and is quickly coming up on more filing deadlines without any semblance of an organized effort to get on the ballot.

Clearly just a PR stunt. The fall and decline of Kanye from the heights he was at has been without parallel in American music history.

im requesting we flag this entire thread until kanye is no longer running for president. has anyone seen the totally uninformed vitriol out of his mouth as to why hes running and what he plans to do? basically just saying that everything is going to be gods plan. please, someone get ye some mental health and good meds without the crazy side effects. mental health problems are real and nothing to be made fun of but this shit is too much; especially now.

It's really difficult for narcissists to accept that they're ill, and if you can't accept that you're ill and you've convinced yourself that you and your God know more about your health than your Dr. Well you are not going to be able to heal and you're going to continue to make really bad choices.

Anyone that believes Kanye is actually "running for president" is falling right into his plan. This is all just an ignorable stunt by Kanye to get his name in the news before his new album. Hell, this isnt even the first time he used the president angle as a PR stunt.

Also I find it very hilarious that people are worried he will steal votes from Biden and swing the election to Trump. This upcoming election is fully Bidens to lose. If he loses it will 100% be on his dinosaur ass and the out of touch Dems, not Kanye, not even a little bit.

He's made some good music and some okay music and some awful music... sorry, but genius is not a word I would associate him with.

I suppose it's subjective, though. If you count 'extreme creativity,' he falls under that - as do hundreds of other people.

The stuff he says certainly doesn't indicate extreme intelligence.

He's made some good music and some okay music and some awful music... sorry, but genius is not a word I would associate him with.

I suppose it's subjective, though. If you count 'extreme creativity,' he falls under that - as do hundreds of other people.

The stuff he says certainly doesn't indicate extreme intelligence.
I dont think people call(ed) him a genius because hes some kind of great mensa mind. He gets called a genius for his contributions to art, and especially modern hip hop. There is noone from my generation that has a greater or more impactful discography than Kanye.

I dont think people call(ed) him a genius because hes some kind of great mensa mind. He gets called a genius for his contributions to art, and especially modern hip hop. There is noone from my generation that has a greater or more impactful discography than Kanye.
I just wonder if people's assessment of his art will change as he reveals himself to be more vacuous. It's an interesting question, to me: people want thought-provoking art to come from people who have something insightful or profound to express. What does it mean for art to be great or influential if the person who created it is just an empty vessel for inspiration?

^That question is far from being unique to Kanye. It reminds me of this Black painter here in Indianapolis, who paints these sort of otherworldly depictions of Black subjects that all seem like they have some sort of mythology behind them. Like this one:

Strange-Weather-copy-800x798.jpg

I think his work is beautiful and fascinating, and I've looked at buying one of his paintings a couple of times. And then I followed him on IG and discovered that he's a bizarre libertarian/rightwing jagoff who says his paintings are about things like pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and not taking handouts.

They're not about that; they can't be about that. Look at it. How can he not realize that he's wrong about the meaning of his own work? But who can tell him that? He painted the damn things. It's nearly ruined his work for me altogether.

Separate art from artist? Maybe. I can get with theories that the author is dead and that intent is meaningless because impact on the audience is the only thing that matters. But finding out that an artist is a dispshit can certainly refocus your view of what the value of the art was in the first place.

I'll take MF Doom's discography for that title in the 00s, personally. Kanye's influence may be wider reaching due to popularity, but for me personally, that's secondary.

I think you could make some arguments production wise for El-P and Madlib as well, but that's a different group I guess if we're talking rapper/producers instead.

Back