June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.
Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Prince – Deliverance
20220604_084151.jpg

I was too broke when Prince died to go with my friend and get a purple love symbol tattoo in remembrance, but still may one day.

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble –This is also one of the handful of songs on the album she brought in Max Martin for as well as a huge single for her. The Max Martin relationship flourished in the coming years. As such
Play a Max Martin album (produced by or involved with in some manner)

Adele – 30
20220604_090329.jpg

Gonna be a long while before I hit this one on my collection playthrough, so happy to have a chance to play it today!
Max Martin was heavily involved in the song "Can I Get It."

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks. Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Ghost - Impera

I don’t have any tattoos but I’ve seriously considered getting a Ghost tattoo. Probably just their logo. I discovered them at a pivotal moment in my life and found comfort and strength in their music. Which sounds weird to say for such a goofy band, but it’s the truth.

View attachment 141390
Their art would make some sick tattoos!

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble –This is also one of the handful of songs on the album she brought in Max Martin for as well as a huge single for her. The Max Martin relationship flourished in the coming years. As such
Play an album that represents a new partnership between musicians (can be a new supergroup, new producer, etc.)

DAVID BOWIE LOW (1977 RCA; 2017 Parlophone remaster, from A New Career In A New Town box)
The only Max Martin album I own is The Weeknd's After Hours and I just played The Weeknd 2 days ago... so going with the second challenge. New partnership between Bowie and Eno gave rise to a pretty epic trilogy of albums at the end of the seventies.

IMG_2594.JPG

Day 4: "I Knew You Were Trouble"

The Weeknd - Dawn FM

190DCBB3-2C31-40A3-B710-1A0EABB9853C.jpeg

Max Martin has been a recurring collaborator of Abel’s going back to Beauty Behind the Madness (or “Love Me Harder” with Ariana Grande if you wanna get technical) but Dawn FM is where he’s made the most contributions so far, having a hand in producing 14 of the 16 songs on here.

Day 3 - Treacherous

92F780DF-CFA0-42F3-8F96-8C81A91D5602.jpeg

AWOLNATION - Megalithic Symphony

I’ve been saying for almost adecade at this point (it’ll be 10 years this September) that the first tattoo I’m going to get is gonna be AWOL inspired and it has yet to happen lol. I was an AWOL concert in 2012 and hearing them perform “Kill Your Heroes “ live honestly changed my life. It was that day I made “Never let your fear decide your fate” my life motto and it is what encouraged me to start coming out! I want that as a tattoo so badly I just haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet

Hi, I am late to the party this time…I’ll try to catch up but I’ll be out of town the last week of the month anyway, so I likely won’t finish. I always dig these challenges though, so I’ll join in for awhile.

Thanks for putting June together @waruv !

01 – State of Grace – The lead track is generally considered one of the stronger tracks on Red that didn’t get a true single release and made Billboard’s Best Pop Deep Cuts of the 21st Century List.

I was thinking too hard about a deep cut, so I went with: Play an album that references a state

1D8E7404-D990-45F4-8ABA-E1ECF93506A5.jpeg

01 – State of Grace –
Play an album with one of your favorite deep cuts.

Wilco - Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Song: “One True Vine”

02FD904E-396A-40CD-AC8C-B892BAA2FAEA.jpeg

Not technically a “deep cut” from an album but it was on the bonus disc that came with Sky Blue Sky. We liked it so much that we picked it as our first dance song for our wedding

Last edited:
02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.
Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Emotionally, I'm here:

Dr-Manhattan-Comic-920x518.jpg

IMG_20220602_192532430_HDR.jpg

Thanks to @yukbon for the PIF!

Day 4 - I Knew You Were Trouble

85FF5123-0345-44D9-A3FB-77E7438EE3C0.jpeg

Taylor Swift - 1989

Honestly I’m really surprised I don’t have more albums produced by Max Martin given how many of his songs I do love! My choices were Taylor, Adele or Robyn so I decided to go with the album that won him his first Grammy for AOTY

Last edited:

Play an album that represents a new partnership between musicians (can be a new supergroup, new producer, etc.)

Grace Jones made two masterpieces when she teamed up with Sly & Robbie: Warm Leatherette and this:

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing

091E8DA1-D15C-4267-B09C-659EACB6F976.jpeg

03 – Treacherous
Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

833454AE-39A5-43D2-8772-80F26C995819.jpeg

Growing up in Western Washington in the 1990s, your favorite band could say a lot about you. If I was allowed to have gotten a tattoo at age 13, I would have probably considered the logo from this album cover

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.

Radiohead - Amnesiac

I don't have a tattoo, but something Radiohead-related might be considered (like the crying Minotaur).

img_20211109_172057776_hdr-jpg.117008

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.

Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Seriously....IMG_1213.JPG

Play an album you regret buying

The Doors - Morrison Hotel Sessions

Not sure why I jumped on this one on RSD...I won't spin this much, if ever again. Maybe if there was an LP of the entire album in addition to the outtakes it would be less of a waste.

IMG_1214.JPG

Play an album with ties to communism (for or against or otherwise).

I have the Nazi Punks Fuck Off! / Moral Majority 7", but figured I'd spin this full EP.

Dead Kennedys – In God We Trust, Inc.
Statik Records – STAT EP2, Alternative Tentacles – VIRUS 5, 1981

UK pressing

Cut by George "Porky" Peckham
Pressed at MPO

Q6g4j3.jpg

7bs0Rg.jpg

03 – Treacherous

It's my one and only tattoo so far...nothing else has really pushed me to get another yet.

20220605_033808.jpg

While I don't mind having the Barnes & Noble clear variant, this one sounds better to me.

David Bowie – ★ (Blackstar)
ISO Records/Columbia – 88875173871, 2016

Cut by Ray Janos at Sterling Sound
Pressed at RTI

jYFBCS.jpg

WMmTM2.jpg

Back