June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.

Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Various Artists - Sounds Of The Seventies 1972: Take Two View attachment 141158

I don't know about you but I'm feeling twent…er…’72.

I picked this tape up at Half Priced Books over the weekend for $1.99 and it is worth every penny. Time Life comp has put me in a very happy mood for my first day back to work after a small break.
View attachment 141159

I am definitely feeling very Seals and Croft today.
And Jim Croce & America too. Some great tracks on here, inspired me to make a playlist to listen to this afternoon, if anyone wants in on it.

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.

Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

So…I uh got some terrible news on my cat today. So the mood is probably no music, but I’ll put on someone who has gotten me through some hard times and is a lot of strength in music. And man do I have some unrest…

Sara Bareilles - The Blessed Unrest

And Jim Croce & America too. Some great tracks on here, inspired me to make a playlist to listen to this afternoon, if anyone wants in on it.

Nice! Yeah, It’s Legit. I was perusing eBay looking for some more of the Time Life “Sound of The Seventies” cassette comps. These comps do a nice job of mixing genres. It made for a very enjoyable start to the day.

So…I uh got some terrible news on my cat today. So the mood is probably no music, but I’ll put on someone who has gotten me through some hard times and is a lot of strength in music. And man do I have some unrest…

Sara Bareilles - The Blessed Unrest
Aw, that sucks. I am sorry. Cat’s are the best.

01 – State of Grace – The lead track is generally considered one of the stronger tracks on Red that didn’t get a true single release and made Billboard’s Best Pop Deep Cuts of the 21st Century List. Play an album that references a state, province, or other regional location.

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Playing for the song ‘La Grange’. A small Texas town I’ve driven by more times than I could count on my way to Austin.

22A91616-3391-4783-97DC-ACC63C383BAE.jpeg

Nice! Yeah, It’s Legit. I was perusing eBay looking for some more of the Time Life “Sound of The Seventies” cassette comps. These comps do a nice job of mixing genres. It made for a very enjoyable start to the day.
I'm gonna pull Gary Glitter from the playlist though. That guy deserves to be forgotten.

It's been cold (10C / 50 F) and rainy for almost a week now.
I'm feeling very introspective today.
This is a perfect album to stare out the window, watch the rain and wonder about every fucking thing.

Hand Habits - Placeholder

21B5B35B-8D31-4359-A70A-FD1381BDD6BB.jpeg

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.
Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Don't have any ink. Don't plan on any. But if I ever had that itch to scratch and wanted something tied to my musical history, I'd likely get something that says Cursed Diamond. For better or worse, I've never heard another song that sums me up better than this one...

Cursed Diamond
Song by The Black Crowes

I lose myself
I forget myself
Sometimes I fault myself
I might fight myself
But then I make amends
I freeze myself
Rain on myself
Ok, so I stone myself
And I might even find myself
But then again what happens if I do
So unzip my pride
Open me up wide
So I can show this to you
I want to shine for you
I want to sparkle too
Just like a diamond cursed
Well you know it don't get worse
You know that I'll save you time
Your trouble now is mine
Hold me baby
Hold me girl
And I will laugh with you
If you want me to
Roll me in your splendor
I'll envy your surrender
And show you victory
I hate myself
Doesn't everybody hate themselves
I scare myself
Then I tell myself it's all in my mind
So I let the poison go
'cause I always know
It will be there for me
I want to shine for you
I want to sparkle too
Just like a diamond cursed
Well you know it don't get worse
You know that I'll save you time
Your trouble now is mine

The Black Crowes - The Tall Sessions

20210505_134014.jpg

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.
Play an album you regret buying

The Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup
(1973 Rolling Stones Records; 2020 half-speed remaster)
This is more about this pressing than the record. Album is a classic. I thought the half-speed masters being released throughout 2019 and 2020 were pretty decent for the price. They sounded ok, even if we can all agree there were better older pressings, but their price was pretty fair. Copies were clean, which is hard to find with vintage copies (this is before I discovered Japanese pressings). So I thought this one would be good too, but I should have known to stay away when I saw this was pressed by GZ. The others I had were not. Anyway, the record is filled with little defects. Swishing, pops etc. I didn't like the remaster so much either for this one. Do people generally find this one ok? It's the first Rolling Stones record I wanted to get a Japanese pressing of but I still haven't found a satisfactory one to order.

IMG_2593.JPG

Last edited:

Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

I try not to regret a ton of purchases as, usually, I can find a good use for any record (even if it's to a new home), so I'll go for the tattoo (that 50th Maggot Brain though...) I'm not an ink person though I have huge respect and appreciation for those who are. There are a small handful of songs and lyrics that would mean enough to me to where I could conceptualize inking myself up for the right person. The chorus from the song Emmylou is one of those simplistic, perfect messages of love only the best songs give us.

I'll be your Emmylou and I'll be your June
If you'll be my Gram and my Johnny too
No, I'm not asking much of you
Just sing, little darling, sing with me

As such, happy to break this one out of the cub today.

First Aid Kit – The Lion's Roar

PXL_20220603_162744145.jpg

03 - Treacherous - Play an album you regret buying

this really isn't an indictment of the music as I haven't listened to it enough to even hold a solid opinion, it's just that I paid full price for a repress a few years back from the VMP store of an album that can be probably be found for under $1.00 with little to no effort.

HERB ALPERT'S TIJUANA BRASS - Whipped Cream & Other Delights
PXL_20220603_174815200.NIGHT.jpg

I love the idea of getting a song/band related tattoo, but haven't been able to nail a specific design down yet. Given the vast amount of iconography and what they've meant to me personally, Grateful Dead for me would be the place to start. But I could do Pearl Jam or Neil Young easily as well (Maybe something Ocean related or a Mirrorball to combine them). Anyway, when I was younger the idea of dancing bears appealed to me, but I'm glad I didn't go with that. The American Beauty rose would be good, but i incorporated a rose into a recent piece that I got:

Maybe a Bertha / Skull & Roses would be the way to go, just a classic image. Good enough for consideration at least...

Grateful Dead ~ Grateful Dead

1654279158863.png

Dave Matthews Band - Crash
FB4D4341-2690-490D-8BA8-B50652E5619E.jpeg

I had to go with a cassette out of necessity for today’s select as I don’t have any DMB studio albums on wax (yet). I went with DMB because if it weren’t for an overly protective mother, I likely woulda gotten a Dave Matthews Band “Fire Dancer” tattoo at some point in high school…
760DAF80-BA23-4243-B7D4-C02E83FB09F0.jpeg
Anyways, I am very grateful that it never happened as I am fairly certain I woulda likely regretted it. At this point I don’t have any tattoos and doubt I would every get one though if I did I would probably choose something that is either visually appealing but has zero meaning (like an animal) or something that will always be constant (like my hometown).

Last edited:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash
View attachment 141280

I had to go with a cassette out of necessity for today’s select as I don’t have any DMB studio albums on wax (yet). I went with DMB because if it weren’t for an over protective mother, I likely woulda gotten a Dave Matthews Band “Fire Dancer tattoo at some point in high school…
Anyways, I am very grateful that it never happened as I am fairly certain I woulda likely regretted it. At this point I don’t have any tattoos and doubt I would every get one though I I did I would probably choose something that is either visually appealing but has zero meaning (like an animal) or something that will always be constant (like my hometown).

Isn’t that logo thing called a “Dancing Nancy?”

Isn’t that logo thing called a “Dancing Nancy?”
Maybe that’s a colloquial term? We always called it a fire dancer. Per some random fan site I found just now:

“The fire dancer is the Dave Matthews Band logo is an original piece of artwork by Dave Matthews himself. It is what he drew after being asked what he saw when he looked into a crowd at a concert while performing. It symbolizes a person letting go, dancing and enjoying themselves.”

listened to day 1 and 2 last night! Been a while since I won one of these but I need to listen to my records more so I need to really challenge myself!

Day 1 - State of Grace

C887FF15-C01A-4B0B-96EE-38427A3EEA29.jpeg

CMAT - If My Wife New I’d Be Dead

Went with the location theme with the opening track!

Last edited:
Back