June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

01 – State of Grace – The lead track is generally considered one of the stronger tracks on Red that didn’t get a true single release and made Billboard’s Best Pop Deep Cuts of the 21st Century List.
Play an album that references a state, province, or other regional location.

Why is Mattiel still a something of a hidden treasure? Her 3 albums are great but, this new one is her best yet.

Mattiel - Georgia Gothic

3F9312E5-CF42-4C6A-99C5-0F11D4EEE9A9.jpeg

01 – State of Grace – The lead track is generally considered one of the stronger tracks on Red that didn’t get a true single release and made Billboard’s Best Pop Deep Cuts of the 21st Century List.

Play an album that references a state, province, or other regional location.

ELO - Eldorado

After a month off, I'm back! I just got this as a PIF from @Sonicpharmacist (thanks again!), and it fits with a reference to the fictional city of El Dorado and a song named after the (supposedly) real city of Laredo ("Laredo Tornado").

IMG_20220601_175714590_HDR.jpg

Day 1 - State of Grace

Sigur Ros - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust

I always felt like this album was a little bit of a deep cut compared to Ágætis Byrjun and ( ), both of which were stone cold classics and huge deals when I was in college. This one is one of my favorites by them though.

Also, any Sigur Ros instantly calls to mind both Iceland and whatever mystery world hearing Icelandic sung makes me think of.

20220601_211148.jpg

Play an album with one of your favorite deep cuts.

Charles Mingus – Cumbia & Jazz Fusion

20220601_201136.jpg

A lot of Mingus pieces get talked about by a lot of people, and with damn good reason. But rarely do I see "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" enter the conversation. I bought this album blind at the only record show I've ever been to, having never seen it before. While "Music For 'Todo Modo'" is just okay, "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" is just fantastic stuff!

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.
Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Sadly, I find myself retreating to this one more and more often these days.

Nick Lowe penned one of the most perfect songs ever written; Declan MacManus gave it a sublime emotional charge...

Elvis Costello And The Attractions - Armed Forces

20220602_002934.jpg

Last edited:
02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.

Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Patricia Wolf - I'll Look for You in Others
(signed)

16541548007117694299073876963587.jpg

I'm shamelessly shilling for a Portland artist, but ambient/drone music has been the vibe as of late. More importantly, apropos to reflect on the damaged state of this week.
I am seeing her perform tonight along with a few other local artists at a free event held at one of my favorite small venues.

It's pretty rare that I put an album on and don't listen to the whole thing, but this morning I kept finding myself not in the right mood for a lot of music and I stopped three records in a row after a couple minutes cause they weren't hitting right. I finally settled on this album by this incredibly underrated band and it fit my mood very well. Then I happened to look at what the challenge was today and realized I was already playing it.

IMG_20220602_093054__01.jpg
IMG_20220602_093038.jpg

The Weeknd dawn FM
(2022 XO/Republic Records)
I was struggling to find a record that reflects my mood today. Basically, I don't feel "present". I've got a bunch of little things to balance with work, family, house things, planning for a trip next week, errands and such. I just have all of these things swimming in my head and I don't feel like I'm here, if you know what I mean. I think The Weeknd's latest is the closest to how I feel. DAWN FM is themed around the idea of someone getting lost in his thoughts and listening to FM radio while being stuck in traffic.

IMG_2587.JPG

02 - Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

simply keeping it simple, I just find myself becoming more and more upset with what's going on everywhere wishing things were just better... also "Imagine" may be Communism adjacent?

GEMS - Imagine (John Lennon Cover Album)
PXL_20220602_151539741.NIGHT.jpg

The Weeknd dawn FM
(2022 XO/Republic Records)
I was struggling to find a record that reflects my mood today. Basically, I don't feel "present". I've got a bunch of little things to balance with work, family, house things, planning for a trip next week, errands and such. I just have all of these things swimming in my head and I don't feel like I'm here, if you know what I mean. I think The Weeknd's latest is the closest to how I feel. DAWN FM is themed around the idea of someone getting lost in his thoughts and listening to FM radio while being stuck in traffic.

View attachment 141144
I definitely know what you mean

hope your trip is awesome!

I definitely know what you mean

hope your trip is awesome!

We're heading to Quebec City - my daughter has a competition there next weekend (well, thurs-sun). Bonus is that my folks live there so we'll be able to visit too. Really looking forward since I haven't seen them in person since last summer. It's a really pretty town too.

We're heading to Quebec City - my daughter has a competition there next weekend (well, thurs-sun). Bonus is that my folks live there so we'll be able to visit too. Really looking forward since I haven't seen them in person since last summer. It's a really pretty town too.
sounds great! good luck to your daughter, but more importantly I hope she has a wonderful time at the competition!

I've been working for the same company for 20+ years, but recent management changes/decisions in the last year or two have reached a head and I find myself interviewing for new opportunities - which is actually pretty refreshing and I wish I had done it sooner. Just had a good interview this morning, and thinking that it may be sooner rather than later that I switch jobs.

To that end, at this point I won't be upset at leaving. Rather, I expect it will be similar to the note that Neil Young sent Steven Stills when Neil decided to drop off the 76 Stills~Young tour without telling anyone: "Dear Stephen, funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way. Eat A Peach. Neil."

The Stills-Young Band ~ Long May You Run

1654184210145.png

02- Red
Play an album with ties to communism (for or against or otherwise).

Redskins - Neither Washington Nor Moscow

Band name no longer appropriate but this was a group of Northern Soul obsessed UK skinheads who were also card carrying communists, hence the name.

Sloganeering at its best! About 8 out of the 11 songs have an exclamation point in the title, including ‘Kick Over the Statues!’, ‘Take No Heroes!’ and ‘Go Get Organized!’
D98083D2-6839-417C-AE4F-8C2F53F8C502.jpeg

Various Artists - Sounds Of The Seventies 1972: Take Two 9E6ED99D-E5BD-4D5C-A8CA-755954F64B2E.jpeg

I don't know about you but I'm feeling twent…er…’72.

I picked this tape up at Half Priced Books over the weekend for $1.99 and it is worth every penny. Time Life comp has put me in a very happy mood for my first day back to work after a small break.
FD04C992-5200-4C34-9FDE-27D800929239.jpeg

I love, and I do mean love, Quebec City. One of my favorite cities in the world. Enjoy!

Various Artists - Sounds Of The Seventies 1972: Take Two View attachment 141158

I don't know about you but I'm feeling twent…er…’72.

I picked this tape up at Half Priced Books over the weekend for $1.99 and it is worth every penny. Time Life comp has put me in a very happy mood for my first day back to work after a small break.
View attachment 141159

I am definitely feeling very Seals and Croft today.

Back