June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.

Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

I'll probably never get a tattoo. But if I was to do something music related I could see me doing a King Gizzard related one.

Screenshot_20220603-155417.jpg

03 - Treacherous

My one and only tattoo is years upon years old, and while I find many things wondrous and inspirational I haven't felt the need to get anything else inked. Maybe one day..

The art from Russell Mills during this era is something I'd consider.

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

PXL_20220603_155156089.jpg

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks.

Play an album you regret buying

This album was such a let down for me that it soured their next one too.
Meh

Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold

B7CC3146-3B91-4160-9B43-022B3ADF8900.jpeg

Play an album you regret buying

100 gecs - 1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues

16542942457954242993149542790612.jpg

I still don't like this. I remember getting it in a sale a few years ago back when I snatched records on discount without much of a second thought. I also obtained it before I even had the debut itself.

Day 3: Treacherous

Durand Jones & The Indications - Private Space

A5841D5C-E45F-438A-B135-580BF205A0C7.jpeg

My locals were behind in getting this album in and when they did at first, all they had was the black pressing. I got that, thinking the nebula swirl pressing was all sold out by then, only for it to show up at my locals just a couple weeks later. It doesn’t help that my inner sleeve is a bit mangled too. :cautious:

01 – State of Grace – The lead track is generally considered one of the stronger tracks on Red that didn’t get a true single release and made Billboard’s Best Pop Deep Cuts of the 21st Century List.

Play an album with one of your favorite deep cuts.

Since today it it's 26th anniversary, I've always liked this album...even if it's been shit on since it was released.

All my favorite tracks are the ones that weren't released as singles.

Metallica – Load
Elektra – 61923-1, 1996

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Specialty Records Corporation

Y8RoIv.jpg

Bd5dp8.jpg

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble –This is also one of the handful of songs on the album she brought in Max Martin for as well as a huge single for her. The Max Martin relationship flourished in the coming years. As such

Play a Max Martin album (produced by or involved with in some manner)

Ariana Grande - thank u, next

16543459443703439555503672351690.jpg

I was unsure when scrolling through Martin's production credits on Wikipedia that I would have a viable selection in the library. But I do have one.
This remains my favorite of hers by a country mile, although I also do enjoy Dangerous Woman as well.

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble –This is also one of the handful of songs on the album she brought in Max Martin for as well as a huge single for her. The Max Martin relationship flourished in the coming years. As such

Or

Play an album that represents a new partnership between musicians (can be a new supergroup, new producer, etc.)

I have nothing Max Martin related in my collection so going with the second prompt today. As a big fan of all things Steven Wilson, I went from liking Opeth to loving them when he produced Blackwater Park.

Screenshot_20220604-091419.jpg

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write.
Play an album with ties to communism (for or against or otherwise).

Artie Shaw – In The Blue Room / In The Café Rouge
20220604_063447.jpg

The album itself has no direct ties to communism, but Artie Shaw was forced to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee for his leftist activities. While six auto-coupled 7" records may prove slightly annoying, I imagine it'll be less annoying than the House Un-American Activities Committee proved to be!

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write. Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Gabor Szabo - Dreams

This album is definitely hitting the spot this lazy Saturday morning.

1B780791-984D-4675-930C-9F528D170AF6.jpeg

02- Red – The title track and one of the singles off the album really tries to hit at an emotional angle as opposed to some of the more descriptive songs she tends to write. Do a mood check! Play an album that fits where you’re emotionally sitting today.

Gabor Szabo - Dreams

This album is definitely hitting the spot this lazy Saturday morning.

View attachment 141381

Pretty sure this is the most spun record on our shelf.

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble
Play an album that represents a new partnership between musicians (can be a new supergroup, new producer, etc.)

George Russell - New York, NY
Not sure if jazz albums count as a supergroup, but this one has quite the list of A-listers. Bill Evans, Art Farmer and John Coltrane to name just a few. I only heard this album for the first time a year or so ago when it was reissued, but it encapsulates my concept of what jazz and New York City was for much of my youth.
IMG_1228.jpg

03 – Treacherous – As is all too well known, many of Taylor Swift’s tracks are about individuals she has dated and there is endless speculation on this. The endless speculation leads to some fun facts. This song is believed by many to be about former One Direction singer and current pop megastar Harry Styles “won’t stop ‘til it’s over”, which is a tattoo he has from the song Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap. It’s pretty rough folks. Play an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Ghost - Impera

I don’t have any tattoos but I’ve seriously considered getting a Ghost tattoo. Probably just their logo. I discovered them at a pivotal moment in my life and found comfort and strength in their music. Which sounds weird to say for such a goofy band, but it’s the truth.

332D2923-8DD2-4D99-BDB9-595E41CE4CCA.jpeg

03 – TreacherousPlay an album featuring a lyric, artist, or music you’d consider (or have) gotten a tattoo about.

Ghost - Impera

I don’t have any tattoos but I’ve seriously considered getting a Ghost tattoo. Probably just their logo.

This was going to be my second choice! Glad to see it posted. Impera is 🤘

04 – I Knew You Were Trouble –This is also one of the handful of songs on the album she brought in Max Martin for as well as a huge single for her. The Max Martin relationship flourished in the coming years. As such Play an album that represents a new partnership between musicians (can be a new supergroup, new producer, etc.)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

The first Neil Young album with long-standing backing group, Crazy Horse. The beginning of a legendary partnership.

7E02482E-F4C9-4606-8A96-63312F0107E7.jpeg

King of the pop banger, there are a lot of hidden gems on that production list. CRJ has established her impeccable pop reputation largely separated, but he got a credit on (imo) her best pop song prior to Emotion, so spinning Tonight I’m Getting Over You from…

Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss

image.jpg

Or

Going with a new partnership. Still riding a high from seeing Hadestown the other night. This group features Anais Mitchell (who wrote Hadestown), Eric D. Johnson (Fruit Bats) and Josh Kaufman (Hiss Golden Messenger). Its an absolutely gorgeous record, perfect for a Saturday morning. And probably the most spun record in my house.

Bonny Light Horseman ~ Bonny Light Horseman

1654356411833.png

04 – I Knew You Were TroublePartnership

Max Martin is a straight up hit making machine, but I have nothing in my meager collection from his many collaborations.. so I'm going with..

The Oath - The Oath

A short lived collaboration of doomy occult rock formed by Johanna Sadonis and Linnéa Olsson. This is their only album as they disbanded a month after its release. Johanna would go on to front one my current favorites, Lucifer.

PXL_20220604_112358283.jpg

Last edited:
Back