June 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: 🌈☀️Holidaze 🎶🪐

June 21
Go Skateboarding Day - Spin some tunes for skateboarders.

My first "pro" skateboard was the Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp "Eye", purchased in the late 80's as my parents attempted to placate me and my brother before we moved away from our friends to a real small town. (my brother picked some Vision board, forgot who's deck it was)

I think my brother may have this, too. It was still at my parents house when I left for the last time, so I really have no idea where it ended up.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 085556.JPG

I sucked at skateboarding....and just stuck with a bike. My brother and I did get some of our friends into skateboarding, though...we also watched a lot of the Bones Brigade videos to death.

Around this time, as my parents were travelling out of state looking for a funeral home to purchase, we had a very cool babysitter that introduced us to some great music...this was one that I remember.

Pixies ‎– Surfer Rosa
4AD ‎– CAD 803, 1988/2004

Cut by John Dent at Loud Mastering

lrKJwV.jpg

gIJLKS.jpg

Just being lazy this morning and using old images.

June 24
International Fairy (or Faery) Day - celebrate these tiny, magical and mystical beings.

Speaking of tiny, magical, and mystical beings. Been lucky enough to see her live twice. and both were amazing. Once at Coachella after Volta came out, and once at the Hollywood Palladium for Cosmonogy. The Hollywood Palladium was especially great, it was in the round so there wasn't a bad spot in the house. She walked through the crowd to get to the stage, and even with her giant wig she wasn't as tall as me.

Bjork ~ Post

1624551716171.png

Day 24: Swim a Lap Day
Kiddie pool or Olympic pool, spin something about swimming. 🏊‍♀️🏊‍♂️

The Glands - The Glands
FD17E5D4-B16B-46C9-AF24-C7D36A4157C2.jpeg

I love swimming not necessarily laps as much as just being submerged in a giant body of cool water on a warm day, it’s a very meditative experience for me. One they I never do often enough. Anyways; This is The Glands Masterpiece and “Swim” is one of my favorite tracks from the album.

June 22
National Columnists Day - What records have been written about by renowned columnists?

John Peel wrote a column for the underground paper International Times. All are archived at International Times: Perfumed Garden Column

This was his first column after the pirate radio station he was at closed down.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 113654.JPG

Shellac ‎– The End Of Radio (14 July 1994 Peel Session / 1 December 2004 Peel Session)
Touch And Go ‎– TG424LP, 2019

Cut by Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Pressed at RTI

PiQjd0.jpg

ZzXr8n.jpg

Still lazy and using old pics

Take Your Dog to Work Day
Here's to a good boy at work. 🐶🐕

Wings - Band On The Run
7FF37FE1-D086-42E6-9FCE-A8EAFD1AB468.jpeg
Paul was a big “Dog Guy” he wrote songs about both his English Sheep Dog, Martha and later his Black Lab, Jet. Since he was a Rock Star I am sure he literally had his puppers around him occasionally while writing, recording or touring but also took them to work figuratively every time he preformed “Martha My Dear” or “Jet”.

National Pink Day - Pink part 1

There were so many options with this one. It was rather surprising how many pink colored records I've gotten over the years.

I was thinking of just going on the nose with some Pink Floyd, but since I'm late on this day I'm sure some have been played...and I'm too lazy to scroll back through everything.

So it's a toss-up - and since they are actually related to each other I think I'm just gonna spin both for today.

Twink ‎– Think Pink
Sunbeam Records ‎– SBM2LP5104, 1970/2019

Mono (this 2 LP release has the mono and stereo mixes)

#RSD19, limited/numbered to 1000, #284

Pressed at GZ

jW3P2e.jpg

zh1REQ.jpg

Man, going back in to the office after a year at home has made keeping up with this month's challenge a bit harder than previous months, for some reason...
I officially became a permanent remote employee this month. Enjoying my record collection has been one of the best parts of switching over to WFH.

June 23
National Pink Day - Pink part 2

Or

June 24
International Fairy (or Faery) Day - celebrate these tiny, magical and mystical beings.

Twink left the band after their first album, this is their third one. Larry Wallis joined the band for this album, but left to join Motorhead - recording what was going to be the debut album - but went unreleased for a few years - eventually it was released as "On Parole" in 1979. The track "City Kids" was re-recorded by Motorhead on that album.

Pink Fairies ‎– Kings Of Oblivion
Polydor ‎– PD 5537, 1973

Cut at Sterling

CWpD5M.jpg

vHZISh.jpg

Last edited:
Back