June 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: 🌈☀️Holidaze 🎶🪐

June 19: World Sauntering Day - Take a stroll with some sauntering tunes.

"My old dad went a walkin' one day,
Pushing tall weeds right outta his way,
My old dad went a walkin' one day,
Hey now, hey now"

Neil Young ~ SIlver & Gold
Our
View attachment 103237
I just picked this album up today!

Fun Fact: the cover photo was take with a Gameboy camera attachment.

I just realized I skipped a day yesterday and jumped to the 22nd 🤦 haha so here's one for yesterday

Day 21 - International Yoga Day - Stretch and relax your musical horizons to get closer to zen. 🧘‍♀️🧘‍♂️

Jeremiah Fraites - Piano Piano

This album would definitely be a great one for relaxing and doing yoga to, and it definitely stretched my musical horizons as I don't have anything else like it in my collection.

World Juggler's Day - Artists are multitalented. What instruments do they juggle to make beautiful music? 🤹‍♂️🤹‍♀️

Sad13 ‎– Haunted Painting

Producer, Engineer, Arranged By, Guitar, Bass, Synth, Organ, Piano, Vocals, Lap Steel Guitar, Marimba, Glockenspiel, Percussion, Drum Programming, Resonator Guitar, Sitar [Electric Star], Baritone Guitar, Autoharp, Theremin, Performer [Toys], Performer [Trash], Performer [Ephemera] – Sadie Dupuis

PXL_20210622_131218228.jpg

June22 - World Rainforest Day - Several days this month are about environment, if you haven't chose one yet, here's your chance! 🌧️🌳

Jarv Is "Beyond The Pale" (2020 Rough Trade)
I'm going to stretch this environmental theme to feature whales. This album opens with "Save The Whale". I probably should have used this for the nature photography theme, but better late than never. I went whale watching on a zodiac several times, in the bay of Fundy and in the gulf of St Lawrence and had the opportunity to observe blue whales, fin whales, Minke whales, humpbacks, belugas and porpoises.

I'm sharing a few photos I took of fin whales (2nd to blue whales in size) on one of my trips near Les Escoumins in the St Lawrence river.

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_0131.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0174.JPGIMG_0175.JPG

Day 20: Father's Day
What would your father choose to listen to? 👨‍👦🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Joe Walsh - But Seriously, Folks…
3D7BA430-E8BB-4EED-B8C9-8EF7AC71A765.jpeg
There isn’t a lot of overlap between my musical taste with my Pop. He tends to enjoy MOR FM late 70s and early 80s rock. Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Styx, Journey, etc… and while I enjoy a few songs from those groups I hardly want to add any of their albums to my record collection. My Dad also enjoyed The Eagles quite a bit and since Joe Walsh became an Eagle I bet he’d enjoy this album a great deal too.

Last edited:
Day 21: Go Skateboarding Day
Spin some tunes for skateboarders. 🛹

The Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
A2A17C3F-3C94-4787-823D-F89A2F77B126.jpeg

The Beasties on cassette is as much part of the local early 90s skater scene in my hometown as a low brimmed Starter cap and some baggie ass Dickey’s cinched tight with a braided leather belt and some Airwalks.

Unfortunately, my skateboarding career ended around 6 years ago when I broke my ankle longboarding.
1E483F2A-7CE8-4EB5-9951-2EB28B4B848A.jpeg

Day 23: World Rainforest Day
Several days this month are about environment, if you haven't chose one yet, here's your chance! 🌧️🌳

The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2
68DC1E79-9BD0-44F8-B555-52CBCD24DCCD.jpeg
Washington State is home to the large deciduous Hoh Rainforest on our lush Olympic Peninsula. It also the birthplace and home to one Phil Elverum and the inspiration behind much of his music, including this his lo-fi masterpiece The Glow, Pt. 2.

June22
National Columnists Day - What records have been written about by renowned columnists? 📰

If you aren't familiar with the Lefsetz letter, it's well worth a free subscription for articles like the one on the 50th anniversary of Deja Vu - he writes not only from the perspective of a fan, but memories associated with songs.

"I’ve got the feeling I’ve been here before. But I haven’t been here for so long, I thought the place evaporated. But then I pulled up this album and started listening and I was drawn through the vortex to a scene, an album, a feeling, a life, fifty years ago, as if it were yesterday."

Déjà Vu 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ~ Deja Vu

1624391733965.png

I just picked this album up today!

Fun Fact: the cover photo was take with a Gameboy camera attachment.

Yeah, I thought that was a great little bit of trivia. I think it was his daughter that took it.

It's one of my favorite 'lesser known' Neil albums. Those last four songs on the album - Red Sun, Distant Camera, Razor Love, Without Rings - so good.

World Rainforest Day

Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Research Arkestra - It's After The End Of The World (Live at the Donaueschingen and Berlin Festivals)
20210622_140835.jpg

While not technically a rainforest, the Black Forest National Park has one of Germany's highest rates of precipitation outside of the Alps so it is a rainy forest. And one which we celebrate today with "Black Forest Myth."

Back