June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Wednesday (03) – Childhood: Your first encounter with music.

My earliest lasting memory of music comes from cartoons. There was some wildly creative use of music in so many of those classic Warner Brothers clips. Later in life I discovered many were inspired by or were actual songs.

A great example from a 1942 short courtesy of Bugs and Elmer and an LP to match with a more modern take on the song...

Neil Young And Crazy Horse - Americana

20200602_232900.jpg

Wednesday (03) – Childhood: Your first encounter with music.

My parents never have been much into music, so I started to explore it on my own. I still remember when and how that happened. It was in the summer of 1989, the time between Elementary school and the next school for me, I was 11 years old. I found a German TV channel that played music videos from the charts. Things like Madonna's "Express yourself", The Cure's "Love song", Bangles "Eternal flame", "Partyman" by Prince and many others. I was completely fascinated by modern music. A short while later MTV was available.

My first music I had still bought on music cassettes. Prince's "Diamonds and Pearls" was among the first albums I got on CD for Christmas 1991. I decide to pick it for today as Prince was one of my earliest influences in listening to music, helped to broaden my musical interests and as this is just a fantastic record. ❤

Prince & The New Power Generation "Diamonds and pearls"

IMG_20200603_072638.jpg

Day 2 Etchings

Yazz Ahmed - A Shoal Of Souls (IXCHEL, 2019 Pressing Limited to 50 Copies)

This is an interesting one as its etched and then painted to give it an extra element. The etching matches the artwork used for all of Ahmed's releases to date, which is designed by the incredibly talented Sophie Bass.

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7656.JPG

Day 03Childhood: Your first encounter with music.

My earliest "musical" recollection is playing my mom's 45's and loving Wipe Out by the Surfaris........wish I still had that box of 45's :(
But my mom loves The Beatles and we always had that connection, I remember listening to their music with her and dancing around our living room as they played on our gianormous stereo console. My mom was already in the US when this was released, she moved here from Italy when she was 16, and I was born that same year ('64) so it's always been my childhood album.

This "press kit" is by far my most valuable piece and it has nothing to do with money. :)

The Beatles ‎– Meet The Beatles!
Capitol Records ‎– T 2047 | US First Press, Mono - 1964
PressKit.jpg

Day 3: Childhood
The Beatles / Magical Mystery Tour
Of everything I’ve ever posted, of this I am most proud. My mom noting in my baby book that at age 4, in 1967, my favorite song was “Hello, Goodbye”. I forgive her the misspelling of Beatles. “Hello, Goodbye" is a perfect children’s song. Simple and buoyant.7DC813F1-8205-4295-BA94-1FC0A8015031.jpegA11052FE-B236-4276-9C90-6454B07CC088.jpeg

Last edited:
I observed the requested blackout yesterday...but I'm thinking maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, I'll catch up today!
No worries, that was partly my fault, some people view this as social media, some view it as a community. I wanted to make sure everyone felt comfortable posting or not posting based on their own personal preferences.

No worries, that was partly my fault, some people view this as social media, some view it as a community. I wanted to make sure everyone felt comfortable posting or not posting based on their own personal preferences.

Very cool...I will catch up this evening. And I'm sure I'll fall behind for other reasons on other days anyway. :cool:

🍻

Back