June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 1 - Who Are You?
Welcome to the June challenge! Play a record from your go-to genre

Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

I listen to a lot of indie rock and folk music, usually guitar-based and with a preference for great lyrics. Iron & Wine is my favourite artist and on this album especially hits the sweet spot of great classic Americana and really interesting arrangements and instrumentation. Quite possibly my favourite album of all time.

IMG_20190601_135900.jpg

I started getting into vinyl almost exactly 2 years ago now. I'm kind of amazed how much that choice has expanded my musical tastes and boundaries. I've delved much deeper into jazz, experimental, hip hop, and R&B/soul than ever before. Focusing on jazz and experimental, I figured this album really encapsulates that musical growth I've been on the last couple years. It is rolling soundscapes of jazzy drone music that just gets better and better with each listen. I never would have checked this album out if it weren't for this here forum. In fact, much of this musical adventure would not have happened for me. Y'all are great for my music listening evolution (but not so great for my wallet).

I almost picked The Books, The Lemon Of Pink, which I also fell in love with because of this place in its past form. That album opened up new listening pathways in my head, and my appreciation of Natural Information Society is a direct result of that experience.

So, thanks to you all for introducing me to such great music!

Jazz is the genre that best defines me...but I grew up spending time (a lot of time!!!) in Cuba so this was my first exposure to “jazz” when I was young (have not visited Cuba since I moved to the USA so it has been a while).

Buena Vista Social ClubView attachment 4097

One of the top album covers of all time too.

01 ~ Who are You?
The Mars Volta ~ Bedlam In Goliath

I tossed and turned with this challenge, asking myself does Post Hardcore really define me? What about Post Rock? But I grew up listening to Hip Hop, is that who I really am? Or is it grunge because that's what my parents were always playing and kind of introduced me to this world of music? Or is it country because my grandpa would play nothing but Gene Autry for me as a kid?

Because at any given moment depending on the day, time and atmosphere, my mood could make me crave a variety of genres that make it hard to pin point what genre truly defines me. So I pondered and I debated and I finally came to the conclusion that the Mars Volta is what makes me, me.

I thrive in the chaos of music and when I think of one of the most chaotic yet blissful bands I always think of the Mars Volta. When I think of the Mars Volta I always turn to my favorite album by them, The Bedlam in Goliath, it was the next step to what Demon Days did to me, it made me question everything I knew about music and forced me to dig deeper into genres I never thought I would want to explore.

The aggressive riffs of Omar, the insane beats of Jon, followed up with Cedric’s vocal manipulation all combine to create one of the most progressive rock albums I had heard up to that point in my life and after that moment I never looked back.

So I guess by definition of the word progressive something that “is happening or developing gradually or in stages, something that proceeds step by step” makes me feel that this is my go to genre, because for every band I stumbled upon or was recommended to check out, I found elements in their tunes that forced me to research other bands that had that sound, thus expanding and forcing me to take a step into a new genre that I would never had thought I would listen to back when I was 11 years old with my Sony S2 Portable G-Protection blaring the Slim Shady LP.

mars.jpg

Day 1 - Who are you?

I would consider myself an all-rounder. I listen to rock, metal, rap, electronic, hip hop, jazz, and pop.
However, I feel that I most frequent rock and metal, as I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, and sing. I love to play covers of many songs that my dad and I used to listen to when I was a kid, and now I can play them for everyone to enjoy.

One record that stuck with me throughout all these years, is Metallica’s Master of Puppets. A record that has stood the test of time for me and my dad, and one that, upon first listen, made me want to pick up a guitar and play along. I think this album reigns high above any album merely because of what it did for me and my musical career.

It sounds like a cliché to say that I do not have a particular favorite style, especially because the music that I write and record would be considered “rock“ or “indie.” It would also be extremely unfair to the music education, both personal and higher level, that I have undertaken over the last 20 years. Further, it also limits me to what I might be expected to produce without taking into consideration influence or a willingness to explore new places and sounds with music.

Because of that, I am following the lead of @gaporter and amending th requirements for this post a touch.

I will buy anything Robert Pollard records, if it doesn’t sell out by the time I get to it.

For this post, I offer the album that started my rabbit hole 24 years ago, Alien Lanes by Guided By Voices.488CBC58-F002-4095-BEDC-584942EC811D.jpeg

Day 2: Second Chance.

This album is one of my favorites from Genesis, but it's not really thought too highly, but most people think it is better than their debut, as do I.

On the Impulse label in the US, this releases catalog # falls between Gabor Szabo - His Great Hits (AS-9204-2) and Pharoah Sanders - Thembi (AS-9206). They were on the Charisma label in the UK, and they kept them on that label for future albums.

Genesis ‎– Trespass
Impulse!/ABC Records ‎– AS-9205, 1970

iA2aO0.jpg

kU82iL.jpg

Day 2 - Off and Running

Arctic Monkeys - "Favourite Worst Nightmare"

20190602_042710.jpg

I'm a pretty big fan of this band, as they're one of the few artists where I own all of their albums on vinyl. But outside of my fondness for AM, I wanted to do this one as the pick for my sophomore album because it's also the album from them I've listened to the least. And really, there's not much of a reason for that beyond the fact I just haven't found myself ever really itching to re-listen to it unlike the rest of the band's discography. But this challenge gave me the perfect opportunity to dig out my copy and give it another go for the first time in a while.

Upon listening to it in full again, the record revealed itself as much more emotionally mature and musically diverse album than I've given it credit for. After the band's 2006 dynamite debut, AM had a tough act to follow, and they neither completely abandoned their signature sound (that wouldn't be until the next album) or tried to mindlessly recapture the sound of their debut. The progression is subtle at first, but it's there. Where WPSIAMTWIN was rebellious, punky and centered around the nightlife of the British youth, FWN feels slower and more brooding, almost foreshadowing the slower, trippy desert rock of Humbug. Lyrically, Alex Turner is no less sharp-tongued and witty than ever, but the characters at the center of his songs this time around are darker and more somber than those on the previous album, with songs about aging, heartache, adultery and addiction, as well as references to the darker sides of fame, likely influenced by the massive indie boom the band had experienced in the last year. The biggest deviations on the album are the two ballads that close out the first and second halves of the album. "Only Ones Who Know" is flavored with a melancholic, almost country-sounding twang, while "505" spends the first half of the song with Turner accompanied by an organ before the rest of the band begins to join in and the song eventually explodes into a more fast-paced affair, while Turner delivers some of the most emotionally rich and vivid lyrics of any AM song up to this point. While I can't say I prefer it to their debut, it does feel like an important stepping stone in the group's evolution as a whole.

Day 2 - Off and Running

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Looking over my collection, I confirmed that for most of the artists I listen to, I prefer their second record to their first. Dylan, The Band, Iron & Wine, The Mars Volta, Coheed, My Morning Jacket, all of their sophomore efforts if not entirely blow it out of the water, at least top their debuts in some ways. I've always thought that some artists tend to do a bit too much imitation on their first records, maybe out of fear of failure from venturing too far or subconsciously trying to ensure success by sticking with what works. By their second, they're a little more comfortable in their own skin, they've played a couple hundred more shows together, and they're willing to change it up a bit and try things they aren't sure how they'll work out.

Fleet Foxes stormed on the scene in 2008 with their self-titled. It ended up at or near the top on most year-end lists and even now stands as a truly remarkable folk-rock record, one that sounds of a very particular bygone time and place. I've always pictured, like, pioneers singing most of its tracks. But it was maybe a little too pretty for its time, too anachronistic. By spring 2011, they followed up with this album, Helplessness Blues, which retained a lot of their multi-part vocal harmonies and arrangement choices but truly sounded part of its time and place. For me, anyway. I was an anxious 22-year-old nearing the end of my time at university and entirely unsure of what came next. The title track seemed to speak to the entire generation's malaise and lack of optimism, graduating into a world where sub-prime mortgage lenders and "men in dimly lit halls who determine my future for me" had seemingly robbed us of much of one. Musically, the band experimented with different song structures, sometimes ending a song way before you would expect and sometimes adding a saxophone freakout to the end of an eight-minute freak-folk masterpiece. Lead singer Robin Pecknold mentioned Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Roy Harper's Stormcock as large influences when he was writing this album, which soon led me to those records, too. (As was often the case before streaming, and being on a limited student budget who could only afford or justify so many CDs, artist recommendations was mostly how I got exposed to and learned about new music.) The songs flow and amble like Van's and Roy's, and you can especially hear Roy's distinct guitar sound all over the album. Eight years later, this still stands as one of my favourite albums and one of the best of the decade, in my opinion.

IMG_20190602_112241.jpg

Back