June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 2- Off and Running

Joseph Shabason is primarily a saxophonist, but he layers Eno-esque ambient synth & various field recordings to augment his music. This second album is a dedication to his mother who suffers from Parkinson’s disease. He uses interviews with his mother as the field recordings added to the pieces of music here. The result is a largely personal one for him, but an othwerworldly almost David Lynchian experience for the listener. Shabason has provided his talents to both Destroyer and the War on Drugs and has been in a few other bands as a sideman. His unique work as a soloist is fantastic two albums in and the digital only companion EP to this record is well worth a listen too.

Day 2 - Off and Running

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen

I agree with @Yer Ol' Uncle D and others, a ton a great sophomore records to choose from. This is one of my favorites, no question. I can't say it's 100% killer, it sags just a bit towards the end. But there are SO many excellent moments on this record. It features a killer opening track (One Angry Dwarf) and doesn't disappoint as you get in deeper with standout tracks like Song for the Dumped, Selfless, Cold and Composed, Kate and The Battle of Who Could Care Less. And I love Darren Jessee's drumming on this whole record...sometimes subtle, sometimes powerful and bold and always perfectly complimentary to his bandmates' playing.

20190602_142156.jpg

Day 2

An absolute classic nu metal album comes in the form of System of a Down’s second album, Toxicity. Political, visceral, and absolutely fucking awesome, this album showed the world that System of a Down was not a one off, and that they were here to stay. Classics include the self-titled track, Chop Suey, Prison Song, Aerials, Psycho, and pretty much the rest of this album. One of the best follow-ups to an already amazing debut album.

Day 1 - Who Are You?
The Ornette Coleman Trio - At The "Golden Circle" Stockholm (Volume One) (OG 1965 Mono pressing)

I have quite a diverse musical taste but Jazz tends to be my go-to genre. There are far too many options to pick here so I decided to just go for the most recent pick-up to really impress me, and that's this. Im a big fan of live music (both attending gigs and listening to live records) so this is a good pick I think.

Day 2 - Off and Running
William Onyeabor - Atomic Bomb (OG 1978 Ghanaian Pressing on Wilfilms Records)

William Onyeabor is a legendary funk musician that released 9 albums between 1977 and 1985. His albums have taken on a bit of a cult status in recent years, helped by the Luaka Bop reissues and 2 big box sets coving his entire discography. His first album, Crashes in Love (1977) is a great album, but his first (and biggest hit) was Atomic Bomb which was the lead song on this album of the same name. Heres a link to the single, Atomic Bomb, from the album of the same name (Onyeabors second album) released in 1978.

Day 2: Off and Running

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

7438466E-827F-4E4E-92B7-172F7A068F39.jpeg

Though this was Isaac’s second album, this was the first where he had full control, and the end result was one of the best soul albums of all time! I haven’t listened to his first album, but I doubt it could compete with this!

Day 2 - Off and Running

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen

I agree with @Yer Ol' Uncle D and others, a ton a great sophomore records to choose from. This is one of my favorites, no question. I can't say it's 100% killer, it sags just a bit towards the end. But there are SO many excellent moments on this record. It features a killer opening track (One Angry Dwarf) and doesn't disappoint as you get in deeper with standout tracks like Song for the Dumped, Selfless, Cold and Composed, Kate and The Battle of Who Could Care Less. And I love Darren Jessee's drumming on this whole record...sometimes subtle, sometimes powerful and bold and always perfectly complimentary to his bandmates' playing.

View attachment 4251
Soooo happy that you chose this. It’s a fantastic second album. Start to finish, it’s a great album, but I’m more partial to Side 2. BFF is a great band, and Ben Folds solo stuff has (have?) been some of my favorite albums. Well done!

Day 2: Off and Running

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

View attachment 4309

Though this was Isaac’s second album, this was the first where he had full control, and the end result was one of the best soul albums of all time! I haven’t listened to his first album, but I doubt it could compete with this!
His first album is different, closer to piano jazz than soul. It’s actually pretty good, but yeah... this is a masterpiece and it pales in comparison.

Day 2: Peter Bjorn and John - Falling Out

They still hadn’t yet made “that whistling song” but this record showed a continued progression from their debut towards consistently well-written infectious pop. I think I actually revisit this one more than Writer’s Block...

Back