June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

DAY 2.

I had a lot to pick from......... from a number of genres and eras.

It's a tie between the low-end heavy beauty that was Morphine's Cure For Pain and, more recently, Flatbush Zombies' Vacation In Hell (one of my favorite rap albums of 2018).

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

Day 2 - Off and Running

I know that the Alan Parsons Project gets panned even by fans of prog rock, but I have always loved their second album, I Robot. It is a prog rock tribute to the short stories by Isaac Asimov... and while there is some cheese here and there, I can hear echos of Parson’s work with Pink Floyd as well as theatrical scores and premonitions of Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories.

Like others have said, there are so many artists with fantastic second albums, but I’ve had a few beers and this one feels right.

Doggo added for cuteness.

Last edited:
Day 3 - You Move Me
Play a record that features a vocal performance that really moves you

We've all got songs that give us goosebumps every time we hear them. Here's one of mine.

Bowie builds from reserved optimism to cathartic doomsday emotion in the span of 6 minutes. Crushingly beautiful.

Hooray music.

FECA3862-6A57-4FD4-A066-91781A326441.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems as though me and @Yer Ol' Uncle D are on the same wavelength tonight.

Day 3 - You Move Me

David Bowie - "Station to Station"

20190603_010822.jpg

"Station to Station" is my favorite Bowie record and, by extension, one of my favorite albums of all time. From the sprawling groove of the title track, to the funky and eccentric "Golden Years", or the absurdist "TVC 15" or the ominously rollicking "Stay", in just six songs, Bowie delivers an album that worms itself into your brain and refuses to let you go. According to Bowie, the album was produced in such a cloud of cocaine that he barely remembers writing or recording the album at all. A tremendous period of transition for Bowie artistically, the album was anchored to yet another character Bowie adopted, the Thin White Duke, a much darker figure than the flamboyant Ziggy Stardust, who displayed a cold demeanor and an unfortunate penchant for fascism.

Much like many of other Bowie's other works, however, even taken out of such historical context, it stands as its own as a grand statement. And the record features two of the artist's finest and most emotional vocal performance of his whole career. The first is "Word on a Wing", a soulful closer to side one that seems to show the singer desperately grappling with a higher power of some sort.

However, the real star of the show on this album is Bowie's remarkably moving version of "Wild is the Wind." This song has been taken on by some of the greatest voices in history, perhaps most notably Nina Simone, who its said inspired Bowie to take the song on for himself. And his rendition is absolutely incredible, something that must be heard to be believed. It never fails to make me feel drenched in emotion and it's the perfect to end an album. A ballad for the ages.

Day 3 - You Move Me
Play a record that features a vocal performance that really moves you

Maybe a bit too literal with the song titled 'Do I Move You?' but Nina Simone definitely has a fantastic moving vocal performance.

Nina Simone ‎– Nina Simone Sings The Blues

IMG_20190603_082242.jpg

Ok, I’m gonna try to play this month. Gonna post a day 1 and day 2 combo. I would say I’m most known here for loving country music. This is Ashley Monroe’s sophomore album “The Blade”. I could listen to this every day.
View attachment 4418
So, did you know about Satisfied, her Columbia debut from 2009? Predating that is a self titled ep and and ep with Trent Dabbs.

This is for sure her sophomore Warner Bros Record. ;)

Day 3 - Vocal Performance

Alison Moyet is my favorite voice in pop music. I don’t have my favorite song on vinyl, so here’s my second favorite. It’s “God Give Me Strength” which was written by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach for the movie “Grace of My Heart”. It’s loosely based on the life of Carole King and I highly recommend the movie and the soundtrack.
5711C790-8246-46A7-8F6F-3262DF269DDB.jpeg

Day 3 - Vocal Performance

Alison Moyet is my favorite voice in pop music. I don’t have my favorite song on vinyl, so here’s my second favorite. It’s “God Give Me Strength” which was written by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach for the movie “Grace of My Heart”. It’s loosely based on the life of Carole King and I highly recommend the movie and the soundtrack.
View attachment 4419

Wow, excellent choice! I love the song and the movie it's from, but I haven't heard Alison Moyet's version yet...heading to the tubes to check it out.

The version that was used in the movie is stunning. (Kristen Vigard)

Wow, excellent choice! I love the song and the movie it's from, but I haven't heard Alison Moyet's version yet...heading to the tubes to check it out.

The version that was used in the movie is stunning. (Kristen Vigard)

You can understand then how excited I was when Alison covered it. It’s such a pivotal point in the movie and Kristen’s version is wonderful. Hate to say it but I never cared for Elvis’ version.

Day 3 - You Move Me

Whether it's a first listen or a hundred-and-first listen his voice, sensitive yet powerful, still raises hairs and gives goose bumps. I grabbed this on RSD this year. Listen to his cover of Nina Simone's "If You Knew" and, even after his Tony Montana impression introduction, see if you don't cry.

Jeff Buckley - In Transition

You can understand then how excited I was when Alison covered it. It’s such a pivotal point in the movie and Kristen’s version is wonderful. Hate to say it but I never cared for Elvis’ version.

I get that. I love Elvis and most of what he does, but after hearing/seeing it in the movie first, his version didn't move me nearly as much either.

Back