July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 3 - I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead.

My first choice would be some Rick Astley...just for fun. But since I don't have that record, this would be #2

AC/DC ‎– Highway To Hell
Atlantic ‎– SD 19244, 1979

Columbia House club pressing

Presswell labels, but this has 1T in the runouts, denoting a Columbia Terre Haute pressing

n0x79a.jpg

nTCr77.jpg

Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

I’d prefer my funeral to be a light occasion if possible. Some nice music and drinks and laughs. And, just remember to play my favorite song plz.

Sinkane - Life & Livin It

20210703_201951.jpg

I think about this quite often and my answer has changed a lot over the years. I generally go for the bigger vaguer concepts now. I think this is a normally haunting and thoughtful duo who are the perfect messengers for a song about how many of the hardest things to deal with in life, including loss, can be weathered through love and music.

My Humps was also I. Consideration for this pick but I went with Emmylou from First Aid Kit's The Lion's RoarPXL_20210704_002509337.jpg

July 4 - I’m so Bored with the U.S.A.
Play a record by a non-USian artist.

Múm - Yesterday Was Dramatic – Today Is OK (1999)

Of all the fantastic music to come out of Iceland, this album has long been one of my favorites. Just finally picked it up on vinyl last week.

Reflected in the cover (if you can make it out) is a painting my dad did in the 80s shortly before he died of a picture he liked in National Geographic. It's just of three guys walking down a road through a field, but it's always been one of my favorites of his paintings.

20210704_095016.jpg

Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

Jimmy Buffett -- Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

I am well aware Jimmy Buffett wouldn't normally be associated with 'funeral music' but my pick is the title track of this album. It is, essentially, the anthem of a life well lived.

"Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places I've been
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure
Makes me want to go back again
If it suddenly ended tomorrow
I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son of a bitches
I've seen more than I can recall"

IMG_4362.jpg

Day 04: I’m so Bored with the U.S.A.
Play a record by a non-USian artist

Blur - Blur
67659225-A56D-4DDD-A514-4F139D489B44.jpeg

She’s Alright, She’s Alright…

Happy 4th of July everybody! If anyone needs me I will be in my backyard drunkenly lighting off illegal fireworks and playing corn hole all while gorging myself on grilled encased meats and deviled eggs just as our founding fathers intended. 🧨 💥 💥 🇺🇸

Day 02: Here comes the summer (in the Northern hemisphere)
play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

Pavement - Slanted &Enchanted
View attachment 104592

I was trying to defer to @gafacaode as I am sure this was on his “Summer” shortlist too but alas I decided just to go for it. This album features “Summer Babe (Winter Version)” a song that would be appropriate no matter what hemisphere you currently reside.

That's a perfect pick and, to be honest, I wish I had thought of it!

July 2 - Here comes the summer winter (in the Northern Southern hemisphere)
play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

Sigur Rós - Agætis Byrjun

B725552B-D35F-41E2-9342-287534C2AB9A.jpeg

EDIT: Aaaaaaand album was cut short by wife. "Why are we listening to whales singing?"

Last edited:
Back