July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 2 - Here comes the summer (in the Northern hemisphere)
play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

To me, summer as a season is the delivery on the promise of change that Spring leads to: an embrace of fun, a chasing of dreams, and the perfect time for change. It's also the perfect time of year to go sit in a dark, cold room and watch movies.

The combination of all of these leads to one of my favorite genres, which is the coming-of-age movie and the last decade was really great for those. This one in particular really combines many of the best aspects of the season: high energy pop and rock music, freedom from tyrannical overseers, and the following of a perhaps crazy dream because there's little else to hold you back.

Plus Drive It Like You Stole It is a straight up bop perfect for any Summer road trip playlist.

Various ‎– Sing Street (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)PXL_20210702_175343575.jpg

play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

The Coral "Coral Island" (2021 Modern Sky UK)
Coral Island is becoming my favorite release of 2021. This is a double concept album about summer vacations they spent at seaside resorts during their youth - the first LP being about the recollection of summer times spent at these resorts and the second LP being about the melancholy of these resorts during off-season. The whole album is tied with a narrative spoken by the grandfather of a band member. The music itself is a mix of psychedelia and indie pop with timeless songcraft. Not a single dud over two LPs. I'm venturing out on a limb to say this is a future classic.

View attachment 104490

"The Ghost of Coral Island" reminds me a fair bit of "Circus" by Tom Waits, but a bit more reeled in.

This one slipped by me when it came out, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit now.

Toots & The Maytals - Funky Kingston

4B3379F1-5D5E-4C75-90C2-3ED8DB1DC2CD.jpeg

One of my all time favorites but finally got it on vinyl today. As a Washingtonian, I was always an advocate of making “Louie, Louie” the official state song but I just realized that this is the first time I’ve ever owned any version of the song, which blows my mind, especially since I used to work with one of the members of The Kingsmen

Toots and the Maytals -- Sweet and Dandy

Reggae/Ska has always been summer music in my mind and this is one that I haven't broken out in a while. I wish VMP would do more of the reggae exclusives that they did a few years ago. Those Desmond Dekker and Toots and the Maytals albums were great.

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

July 3 - I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead.
Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

Iron & Wine - Around The Well
Song: “The Trapeze Swinger”

5DD36462-38DA-490D-AA4F-EBDEEAE7E816.jpeg

Nice pretty song with “please remember me”sung several times but also approaches 10 minutes in duration and has the F-word in it. Don’t edit any of it.

Russian Circles - Memorial (2013)

I'd probably pick Explosions in the Sky - Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, but it's missing from my collection on vinyl. Definitely would go for something in the post-rock genre for funeral music. This Russian Circles one leans a bit too close to post-metal for it to be good funeral music in my mind, but the last track, with the same title as the album, hits the right notes.

20210703_092349.jpg

Tragically Hip "Fully Completely" (1992 MCA; 2016 reissue)
An album that I played repeatedly over the years should be played on loop for the day. Like this one. And maybe lower me slowly sadly and properly and get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy.

IMG_1592.JPG

July 3 - I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead. - Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

Wesley Schultz - Vignettes

Wesley's cover of 'Keep Me In Your Heart' is absolutely beautiful and was included on the album because the family of a dying fan requested him to cover it. I've never really thought about what I would want played at my funeral but I'm thinking I could actually request this one be played now.

Day 02: Here comes the summer (in the Northern hemisphere)

Pavement - Slanted &Enchanted
21F5A9CB-FBBB-4F9B-BC5D-538BA516ED2A.jpeg

I was trying to defer to @gafacaode as I am sure this was on his “Summer” shortlist too but alas I decided just to go for it. This album features “Summer Babe (Winter Version)” a song that would be appropriate no matter what hemisphere you currently reside.

I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead.

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
20210703_093253.jpg

Suits my morbid humour perfectly. I don't like or do the whole Valentine's Day thing but my birthday is February 14th so my corpse could literally be a Blue Valentine. I doubt a lot of my family would appreciate the humour, but I think it's hilarious!

Also, I love Tom Waits and have been a fan for my entire adult life so for those who don't get, or like, the joke it would just be a chance to listen to one of my favourite artists.

Back