July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

Day 01: Canada Day
Play something by a Canadian band/artist. Bonus points if know what MAPL stands for.

Alvvays - Antisocialite
08604219-3472-4DD0-8FCA-0580A5CD3D0C.jpeg

This should qualify as MAPL (no bonus points, I had to look it up) the whole band is from Nova Scotia and currently resides in Toronto. I think some of the album may have been recorded in LA and Buffalo though. Regardless, the music video “Dreams Tonite” has a bunch of 8mm film shot during the 1967 World’s Fair in Montreal.

July 1 - Dominion Day

Snotty Nose Rez Kids - Trapline
20210701_123126.jpg

While I am happy and privileged to live and love where I do (unceded lək̓ʷəŋən territory, home to the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations) I do not like Canada Day one bit - even preceding any decolonization conversations and education. I'm not a fan of rampant nationalism, especially in the name of being a drunk idiot (I spent years being a heavy drinker, or a drunk, but even then I hated the drunks of Canada and St. Patrick's Days) nor have I enjoyed the annoying influx of tourists in most places I've lived around this holiday. With the 1145+ unmarked graves being "discovered" on residential school grounds over the past weeks, and surely thousands more yet to be located, I'm even less inclined to celebrate Canada today. That said, this is technically CanCon.

This Vancouver-based, Kitamaat-raised Haisla duo have been making some of the best and most important hip hop music north of 49th for the past five years now over three albums (this their most recent and only one currently available on vinyl) an EP and a handful of singles. Their live performances are firebrand electric and worth any ticket price I've so far seen asked and they work tirelessly to uplift indigenous youth, women, people of colour and the queer community. I can't recommend them enough if you aren't already familiar.

Lastly, here's a cut from my favourite SNRK album, which I truly hope receives vinyl release:

Day 1 -- Canada Day (Fête du Canada, parlez-vous Francais?)

Lights -- Siberia Acoustic

IMG_4344.jpg

My cat wanted to join the festivities as well.

IMG_4345.jpg

So this was a tough one because I own A LOT of Canadian albums. However, after figuring out what the MAPL system was, I tried to find one that fit the qualifications. As best I can tell, this one checks all the boxes. Lights is Canadian, it was recorded in Canada, and everyone who worked on the music and/or lyrics were/are Canadian.

I've been a fan of Lights for over a decade at this point and have seen her live a couple times. She puts on a great show. I have to say, my favorite part about Lights is that she almost always releases an acoustic album to go along with each studio album. The acoustic versions highlight just how talented of a singer and songwriter she really is.

I only wish I could track down a decently priced copy of the Siberia studio album because it is the one piece missing from my Lights collection.

July 1 - Canada Day - Time to kick it off with some CanCon

All selections - MAPL

96yXRL.jpg

It's also printed on the rear sleeve.

Rush ‎– Rush
Moon Records ‎– MN-100, Universal ‎– B0020138-01, 1974/2014

From the "ReDiscovered" box set

DMM Cut by Sean Magee

8dffTo.jpg

zf053J.jpg

July 2 - Here comes the summer (in the Northern hemisphere)

So...it hit 117 here this past Monday. It was hot, even in the house with AC. Usually my basement is cooler, but it even got hot down here which made it a bit hard to sleep as I had to work Monday night. It cooled down pretty quickly, though and was about 85 by the time I left for work.

Deftones ‎– Around The Fur
Maverick ‎– 48531-1, 1997/2011

Pressed at Record Industry

v4zI3l.jpg

x1nCaR.jpg

play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

The Coral "Coral Island" (2021 Modern Sky UK)
Coral Island is becoming my favorite release of 2021. This is a double concept album about summer vacations they spent at seaside resorts during their youth - the first LP being about the recollection of summer times spent at these resorts and the second LP being about the melancholy of these resorts during off-season. The whole album is tied with a narrative spoken by the grandfather of a band member. The music itself is a mix of psychedelia and indie pop with timeless songcraft. Not a single dud over two LPs. I'm venturing out on a limb to say this is a future classic.

IMG_1591.JPG

play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

The Coral "Coral Island" (2021 Modern Sky UK)
Coral Island is becoming my favorite release of 2021. This is a double concept album about summer vacations they spent at seaside resorts during their youth - the first LP being about the recollection of summer times spent at these resorts and the second LP being about the melancholy of these resorts during off-season. The whole album is tied with a narrative spoken by the grandfather of a band member. The music itself is a mix of psychedelia and indie pop with timeless songcraft. Not a single dud over two LPs. I'm venturing out on a limb to say this is a future classic.

View attachment 104490
This one has been on my "wantlist" for a bit. Good choice. As someone who lived for several years in a seaside tourist town, I definitely know the off-season feeling.

Jorma Kaukonen - Quah (1974)
It's one of 4 states I haven't visited yet, but thinking of that "Sweet Hawaiian Sunshine" and frozen cocktails on this nasty humid day in Georgia the morning after my A/C burned out.

20210702_100244.jpg

20210702_100302.jpg

July 2 - Here comes the summer (in the Northern hemisphere) - play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

Nicole Atkins - Italian Ice

An album written as "An Ode To The Wild Magic Of Summer On The Jersey Shore" and titled after a great summer treat, what could be more summer?haha

Lunar Vacation - EPs

IMG_3325.jpeg

I got this from a recommendation from someone here and it's been a while since I played it (trying to give my lesser played albums some attention). The cover of this album just reminds me of summer, plus I'm on vacation from work this week so it seemed fitting!

Back