July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 3 - I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead.
Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

"I wanted to write a song that presented a resigned, even joyful look at doom," recalls David Byrne in the liner notes of Once in a Lifetime: The Best of Talking Heads. "At our deaths and at the apocalypse... (always looming, folks). I think it succeeded."

I never thought about this really but, Road to Nowhere could be it.
Are we going nowhere? Are we going to paradise?

Talking Heads - Little Creatures

884EBB40-9954-49B6-83B9-F4F15F17C720.jpeg

July 2 - Here comes the summer winter (in the Northern Southern hemisphere)
play something that makes you think of summer. If you live south of the equator play something that makes you think of winter.

Sigur Rós - Agætis Byrjun

View attachment 104675

EDIT: Aaaaaaand album was cut short by wife. "Why are we listening to whales singing?"
Our copy of this is my wife's, but I get similar response if she comes home to me playing Sun Ra:

"Why are they abusing their instruments like that?"

"Are they beating saxophone players in a hockey bag?"

"Is this the one where they drop a dozen pianos off a bridge?"

Etc.

Our copy of this is my wife's, but I get similar response if she comes home to me playing Sun Ra:

"Why are they abusing their instruments like that?"

"Are they beating saxophone players in a hockey bag?"

"Is this the one where they drop a dozen pianos off a bridge?"

Etc.
Tom Waits scares my dog, all 3 cats and annoys Mrs

July 4 - I’m so Bored with the U.S.A. - Play a record by a non-USian artist.

She was technically born here but lived nearly all of her life in the U.K. This was posted in the non-definitive thread and I can verify it is a robust, strong, great pressing of one of my favorite albums of the year. Kind of irksome that some songs are missing and that it was kinda pricy to get but she feels like a star waiting to happen.

Celeste - Not My Muse

PXL_20210704_215525056.jpg

I need to catch up with yesterday's... but it made me realize that I've never thought about music for my funeral. I was raised in a religion where funerals have only hymns played, and never, ever "worldly" music, so I've never even considered the possibility before! (Same is true of weddings, my wife and I don't have a "wedding song" or anything like that.)

July 4 - I’m so Bored with the U.S.A. - Play a record by a non-USian artist.

She was technically born here but lived nearly all of her life in the U.K. This was posted in the non-definitive thread and I can verify it is a robust, strong, great pressing of one of my favorite albums of the year. Kind of irksome that some songs are missing and that it was kinda pricy to get but she feels like a star waiting to happen.

Celeste - Not My Muse

View attachment 104682

Did you wait for the later pressing that includes "Stop This Flame" or did you pick up the early pressing?

I need to catch up with yesterday's... but it made me realize that I've never thought about music for my funeral. I was raised in a religion where funerals have only hymns played, and never, ever "worldly" music, so I've never even considered the possibility before! (Same is true of weddings, my wife and I don't have a "wedding song" or anything like that.)

I never really thought about it either so it was tough to pick yesterday.

But since I like to think of more useless things, I had given thought to what my entrance song would be (think entrance song for a wrestler, but instead the theme that's played in any room to announce that you're about to enter).

It's this, because you know, I like the incongruity with the actual me.

Sadly, the early press. I took a shot and didn't win. At some point I'll have to pick up the full album even as good as this one sounds

I ended up waiting and it worked out for a change. If it's any comfort, the later press is the one I was referring to in the non-definitive thread, so that pressing is very nice too if ever you decide to update yours.

I never really thought about it either so it was tough to pick yesterday.

But since I like to think of more useless things, I had given thought to what my entrance song would be (think entrance song for a wrestler, but instead the theme that's played in any room to announce that you're about to enter).

It's this, because you know, I like the incongruity with the actual me.

I've yet to have actual need for an entrance song, but this has been my pick for 20+ years anyway!

Play the album/song you want played at your funeral

Clint Mansell - The Fountain

The closing track, "Together We Will Live Forever," would make a great piano solo for a funeral.

20210424_151147-jpg.96823

All my pets have theme music. Elliott the black cat's theme is "Rock You Like a Hurricane"

John Prine - Sweet Revenge

I wouldn’t want anything too sappy or serious played at my funeral, and John’s irreverent attitude feels fitting. Especially on the track “Please Don’t Bury Me”.

335123CD-C0D1-4587-92D5-B34B376ABD8F.jpeg

Back