July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 27 - Scotch Whisky Day
Play something connected to Scotland

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Not the Glasgow band's best album (but near the top), but definitely their best album title.

View attachment 107080
They definitely have a way with song titles as well. I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead is one of their best

July 30 - The Walkman was first introduced in 1979.
Play some headphones music

This isn't the first Walkman I owned, but it's the first unit I bought to record live shows in better quality.

I've still got that deck and here's one of my favorite shows she captured...

20210730_011544.jpg

For the cans, I'll go with The Black Crowes most sonically dense record. As Steve Gorman said in his book, The Crowes recorded track upon track upon track for the songs on this one and pretty much everything is there because Jack Joseph Puig can mix the hell out of a record...

The Black Crowes - Three Snakes And One Charm

20210311_003436.jpg

July 30 - The Walkman was first introduced in 1979.

Grateful Dead "From The Mars Hotel" (1974 Grateful Dead Records; 2019 MOFI 2x45rpm remaster)
Pulling out a big gun for this. The soundstage on this is amazeballs. I swear some of the sounds are being projected from phantom speakers in other rooms of the house.

IMG_1671.JPG

July 25 - All of you are the best.
Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Picked up this Tone Poet reissue on the basis of all the buzz it was getting in the Blue Note thread here. On my initial stream, it didn’t really jump out at me. But I kept seeing people praising the pressing, so I picked it up. I am SO glad I did. This is an incredible sounding record and the music is fantastic.

C1A9AAF6-133B-4EE0-AA72-D328ABDBADFD.jpeg

Day 30: The Walkman was first introduced in 1979

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
View attachment 107150

I don’t yet have a Walkman yet, it’s on my waitlist though as I have been accumulating a decent amount of cassette tapes recently. Until then, here’s some some cassette love on my tape deck…

Damn hipster with your tape decks and riding your penny farthings while wearing plus fores
shsshshshshs.png

Damn hipster with your tape decks and riding your penny farthings while wearing plus fores
shsshshshshs.png
777FE384-1EBD-40DC-9C26-7F3A3C4E2C21.gif

I drove a 91 Subaru Legacy wagon for about a year 3 or 4 years back that had a working tape deck that started me on collecting tapes, unfortunately the car deck outlived the car so I had all these tapes and nothing to play them on. Also, outside some Hip-Hop/Metal/Punk titles the vast majority of tapes can be had for a fraction of the cost of the vinyl LPs.

I've been meaning to pick up a new cassette deck.

The Sony RX77ES i found about 10 years ago that kinda worked back then is in need of new belts....as they are now all goop. I took it apart to see what it needs and it's a fairly complicated looking. From what I've read on other forums its also a PITA to work on.

Any new cassette decks out there are crap...as there is only one cassette mechanism being made now and it's crap.

Day 30: The Walkman was first introduced in 1979

There were about 50 albums I wanted to post for today's challenge. Especially since my Schiit Mani upgrade arrived this morning and I've been enjoying eargasms since. Finally settled on a Porcupine Tree favorite of mine, Voyage 34. Felt right to bring this one out after the talk of grilled cheese and acid yesterday.

16276661667386156623278373977103.jpg

Back