Jazz

"Not the other way around" is a hard position to take and I think it's a bit of both. Sure, some audiophiles will buy a release without a focus on the music but of course, the music plays an important role in that decision-making process. The conversations that I've seen here regarding the Pablo releases are as if there is a consensus that the music isn't good, and it's just not true to some people.

I guess I'm just out of the loop when it comes to Chad and his practices, but surely the more accessibility we have to records within the hobby is only a good thing. We DONT have to buy every release that comes out after all...
I think reissues done by audiophile labels, or cut by KG/the usual suspects are another avenue for music discovery and that's cool. there have been plenty of reissues of music I never knew before they got a reissue and were cut by someone whose work I enjoy. Pete Jolly - Seasons being one of the recent ones. Didn't know it before a few months ago when someone told me it was going to be reissued and cut by KG.

I'm sure there are people that buy every AP release without even listening to them all beforehand. And if that's how you wanna discover music, go for it. This may also push people to go listen to the Pablo catalogue and buy some OGs when they see them in the wild--that's cool too.

I don't overanalyze it. If it's getting good feedback and sounds interesting, I'll buy it and often wait for a decent sale too.
There's a real kind of enjoyment sitting down during an evening with 2 fingers bourbon and hearing a new album for the first time. The movies suck these days so these types of music reissues are a really fine alternative to start a weekend at the house.

I don't overanalyze it. If it's getting good feedback and sounds interesting, I'll buy it and often wait for a decent sale too.
There's a real kind of enjoyment sitting down during an evening with 2 fingers bourbon and hearing a new album for the first time. The movies suck these days so these types of music reissues are a really fine alternative to start a weekend at the house.
You gotta expand your mediums for movie news if you think movies suck these days! Theres so much incredible cinema running around lately

It's all CG but if you have some recommendations, let me know.
I tend to agree. There have been some great films, but the majority of film investment is in dumbed-down CGI cartoons.

It has seemed to me for some years now that in fact there is much more interesting TV being produced.

It's all CG but if you have some recommendations, let me know.
Some movies that have really stuck with me over the last few years are:

- The Worst Person In The World
- Perfect Days
- The Taste of Things
- Maestro
- Past Lives
- Aftersun
- Poor Things
- Fair Play
- Saltburn
- Triangle of Sadness
- The Holdovers
- Killers of The Flower Moon
- The Fabelmans
- Licorice Pizza
- They Cloned Tyrone
- Marcel The Shell
- Babylon
- C’mon C’mon
- Tar
- The Northman
- The Menu
- The Batman
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Phantom Thread
- Decision To Leave
- Pinocchio
- Close
- The Whale
- The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

I could truly keep going but that should be enough to reignite your love for contemporary cinema!

- Perfect Days
- The Taste of Things
- Maestro
- Past Lives
- Aftersun
- Poor Things
- Fair Play
- Saltburn
- Triangle of Sadness
- The Holdovers
- The Fabelmans
- Licorice Pizza
- They Cloned Tyrone
- Marcel The Shell
- Babylon
- C’mon C’mon
- Tar
- The Northman
- The Menu
- The Batman
- Phantom Thread
- Decision To Leave
- Pinocchio
- Close
- The Whale

I could truly keep going but that should be enough to reignite your love for contemporary cinema!
I check some of these out. So thanks for putting it out there.
Pinocchio was BS. Just my opinion though.

- Perfect Days
- The Taste of Things
- Maestro
- Past Lives
- Aftersun
- Poor Things
- Fair Play
- Saltburn
- Triangle of Sadness
- The Holdovers
- The Fabelmans
- Licorice Pizza
- They Cloned Tyrone
- Marcel The Shell
- Babylon
- C’mon C’mon
- Tar
- The Northman
- The Menu
- The Batman
- Phantom Thread
- Decision To Leave
- Pinocchio
- Close
- The Whale

Poor Things is so good!! I absolutely loved it.

As one of the leads in the fuck Chad brigade, I will say most of that (from me) had to do with his very smug period of “buy now or cry later,” which does not seem to be as prevalent as it was when I was pushing to fuck Chad.

He seems like he really likes music and that is okay by me.

This has got to be one of the best albums I’ve discovered through VMP.

Just gorgeous playing of beloved standards with a great story behind it. The pressing is also great, sounds incredible! My understanding is that this is Charlie Gabriel’s debut album. He is 89 years old and I believe has been a long standing member of New Orlean’s Preservation Hall Jazz Band. He plays like 3 different instruments and sings beautifully on the record as well.

A beautiful reminder that it’s never too late to take a stab at art.

IMG_5967.jpeg
IMG_5968.jpeg

Interesting but odd one for anybody who likes James Brandon Lewis. I found this on a recent trip to Finland, on the great We Jazz Label. It's completely anonymous but it's his old Trio performing live recorded in 2019. The recording is decent but definitely live. Last song is Fear Not, which he played on his last trio record with the Messthetics (the best song for me). Definitely worth checking out.

20240331_205000.jpg

Interesting but odd one for anybody who likes James Brandon Lewis. I found this on a recent trip to Finland, on the great We Jazz Label. It's completely anonymous but it's his old Trio performing live recorded in 2019. The recording is decent but definitely live. Last song is Fear Not, which he played on his last trio record with the Messthetics (the best song for me). Definitely worth checking out.

View attachment 199180

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. This one's going in the cart so it's there for my next JPC order:

Back