Jazz

Somehow I missed that ACT re-pressed a bunch of E.S.T./Esbjorn Svensson Trio albums last year. The prices on some had crept up pretty high. My local had this Live in Gothenburg re-press for $29, and it’s absolutely pristine from a pressing perspective — flat silent vinyl, which I was nervous about bc there are scattered complaints about ACT’s pressing quality for the E.S.T. stuff.

It also sounds nice to my ears, but that’s not surprising for an E.S.T. release. I know the Nordic jazz sound isn’t for everyone, but I like it.

Anyway, $29 for a nice 3 LP set is pretty good these days, especially considering the current Discogs price for this, which doesn’t make much sense bc it’s available on amazon for $29

Last edited:
Somehow I missed that ACT re-pressed a bunch of E.S.T./Esbjorn Svensson Trio albums last year. The prices on some had crept up pretty high. My local had this Live in Gothenburg re-press for $29, and it’s absolutely pristine from a pressing perspective — flat silent vinyl, which I was nervous about bc there are scattered complaints about ACT’s pressing quality for the E.S.T. stuff.

It also sounds nice to my ears, but that’s not surprising for an E.S.T. release. I know the Nordic jazz sound isn’t for everyone, but I like it.

Anyway, $29 for a nice 3 LP set is pretty good these days, especially considering the current Discogs price for this, which doesn’t make much sense bc it’s available on amazon for the same price
Not many better things than EST live. I'm hoping they're going to release more live stuff as I've got Hamburg / Gothenburg / London. Also, I'm v happy as I picked up 301 in Helsinki recently (my last missing EST release).

Actually enjoying the easier bluesy vibes of Pablo than I was expecting. It's a jazz vibe that I'm mainly missing from my collection, I feel like I'm so overstocked on that Blue Note sound and I'm desperately under indexed on other styles/signature sounds.

Actually enjoying the easier bluesy vibes of Pablo than I was expecting. It's a jazz vibe that I'm mainly missing from my collection, I feel like I'm so overstocked on that Blue Note sound and I'm desperately under indexed on other styles/signature sounds.
If you’re interested in more of that style, I’m sure there are a ton of options, but I really like Gene Ammons (AP Prestige - Boss Tenor and Nice ‘n Cool are the two titles I have in this realm — bluesy, soulful, a fat tenor sound, and super chill). Jimmy Forrest “Out of the Forrest” is also good for this (and the AP sounds phenomenal), although there are a couple more upbeat tunes on it.

Lastly, I cannot recommend highly enough the Archie Shepp/Harold Mabern duo recordings — Goin’ Home and Trouble in Mind. Goin Home is gospel tunes, and Trouble in Mind is blues. I think Goin’ Home is clearly superior, but that’s bc I prefer the gospel tunes and mood/feeling, but they are both fantastic.

If you’re interested in more of that style, I’m sure there are a ton of options, but I really like Gene Ammons (AP Prestige - Boss Tenor and Nice ‘n Cool are the two titles I have in this realm — bluesy, soulful, a fat tenor sound, and super chill). Jimmy Forrest “Out of the Forrest” is also good for this (and the AP sounds phenomenal), although there are a couple more upbeat tunes on it.

Lastly, I cannot recommend highly enough the Archie Shepp/Harold Mabern duo recordings — Goin’ Home and Trouble in Mind. Goin Home is gospel tunes, and Trouble in Mind is blues. I think Goin’ Home is clearly superior, but that’s bc I prefer the gospel tunes and mood/feeling, but they are both fantastic.
Thanks for taking the time to recommend some things. Going to start with those Archie Shepp records! Will report back.

People were shitting on Chad’s choice to do Pablo records but I really like a lot of their sessions.

People were shitting on Chad’s choice to do Pablo records but I really like a lot of their sessions.
I think I’m picking up the following:

- The Alternate Blues
- Ella & Joe Pass Again
- Take Love Easy - Ella Fitzgerald
- The Gifted Bones - Count Basie, Dizzy
- A Celebration of Duke

I would happily spin all of those somewhat frequently I believe

The husband of one of my wife's colleagues is a music teacher at one of the high schools here in town, and she's long suspected he and I would get along quite fine. I've only met him once, at the office "holiday" family gathering back in January, and this album came up in conversation (although not as a recommendation, he was relaying a funny anecdote about someone trying to get a CD copy of the album to him and some mishaps that occurred along the way). I was unfamiliar and set off to remedy that by ordering a copy the next day. I've been mildly obsessed with it since and wound up ordering a second copy to pass along to my buddy, which I just did this morning. Any other fans here?

51aKYXnOtyL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

In a rarity for me, I didn't really look at the credits to this one when I first spun it, nor on subsequent spins, so I was surprised and THRILLED to discover that it's Pat Patrick playing baritone on this one. Very cool.

The husband of one of my wife's colleagues is a music teacher at one of the high schools here in town, and she's long suspected he and I would get along quite fine. I've only met him once, at the office "holiday" family gathering back in January, and this album came up in conversation (although not as a recommendation, he was relaying a funny anecdote about someone trying to get a CD copy of the album to him and some mishaps that occurred along the way). I was unfamiliar and set off to remedy that by ordering a copy the next day. I've been mildly obsessed with it since and wound up ordering a second copy to pass along to my buddy, which I just did this morning. Any other fans here?

View attachment 200543

In a rarity for me, I didn't really look at the credits to this one when I first spun it, nor on subsequent spins, so I was surprised and THRILLED to discover that it's Pat Patrick playing baritone on this one. Very cool.
I haven’t heard this one, but the Kirk album that VMP did I really enjoyed, but wound up PIFfing sometime last year

Back