Jazz

This will be separate from the Craft Contemporary Series ?
I’m speculating that it’s a Contemporary series…but the info all lines up. We’ll find out soon enough!

All Craft has said is they are celebrating the 70th anniversary and announced vinyl for that Ornette box. Craft/Concord owns Prestige too and Fremer already said Chad is doing a Way Out West with Bernie Grundman

On the subject of magazines, I very highly recommend the newish We Jazz record label magazine, which has published two issues and a third is on the way in March. Here’s a screen cap from Dusty Groove’s site, which I’m copying bc the description is very good. It’s more like a small book than a magazine. Very high quality presentation, and the writing has been great so far. I’ve ordered all of mine from Europe, which has meant unfortunately high shipping prices to the U.S. But Dusty Groove gets small inventory, and I think In Sheeps Clothing puts up a few copies, so there are options in the U.S., but I haven’t caught them at the right time.

The articles go well beyond the main cover piece. Issue 1 cover was Alice Coltrane, here’s John on 2, and Joe Henderson is the cover piece for issue 3.
View attachment 127667
Anyone with a copy of #1 they'd like to part with or know where to find a copy? How is the Sun Ra article?

My #1 reason for wanting #1!
No idea how the article is thought.
Definitely curious about the Marshall Allen article in #2 too.
Anyone with a copy of #1 they'd like to part with or know where to find a copy? How is the Sun Ra article?
Last fall, I was lucky to find a copy of #1 @ Flur Discos (Portugal store/site, but they’re out now).

The Sun Ra article in issue 1 is good, about 3-ish pages of text in small print plus a bunch of colorful Ra-ish drawings. But if you have the Egypt ‘71 set and have read the booklet, or have read Sun Ra Omniverse by Hartmut Geerkin and Chris Trent, you may know everything in the story. I don’t have that set and i have not read the book, so the article is all new to me.

It’s focused on the ‘71 trip and its aftermath in ‘72, meeting Hartmut Geerkin and Salah Ragab, who hosted and orchestrated shows in December ‘71. It ends w/ a brief summary of the 80s trips, descriptions of the albums that had Egypt material in the aftermath, and ends w/ a longer summary of the 2020 Egypt ‘71 set. There’s detail and color about the people, details about the shows, etc. filtered in the whole piece.

Last edited:
Last fall, I was lucky to find a copy of #1 @ Flur Discos (Portugal store/site, but they’re out now).

The Sun Ra article in issue 1 is good, about 3-ish pages in small print w/ a bunch of colorful Ra-ish drawings. But if you have the Egypt ‘71 set and have read the booklet, or have read Sun Ra Omniverse by Hartmut Geerkin and Chris Trent, you may know everything in the story. I don’t have that set and i have not read the book, so the article is all new to me.

It’s focused on the ‘71 trip and its aftermath in ‘72, meeting Hartmut Geerkin and Salah Ragab, who hosted and orchestrated shows in December ‘71. It ends w/ a brief summary of the 80s trips, descriptions of the albums that had Egypt material in the aftermath, and ends w/ a longer summary of the 2020 Egypt ‘71 set. There’s detail and color about the people, details about the shows, etc. filtered in the whole piece.

Thanks for this. I have the set and the book, so this is good to know. I still hope to check this out, but it's nice to know to expect something familiar.

On the subject of magazines, I very highly recommend the newish We Jazz record label magazine, which has published two issues and a third is on the way in March. Here’s a screen cap from Dusty Groove’s site, which I’m copying bc the description is very good. It’s more like a small book than a magazine. Very high quality presentation, and the writing has been great so far. I’ve ordered all of mine from Europe, which has meant unfortunately high shipping prices to the U.S. But Dusty Groove gets small inventory, and I think In Sheeps Clothing puts up a few copies, so there are options in the U.S., but I haven’t caught them at the right time.

The articles go well beyond the main cover piece. Issue 1 cover was Alice Coltrane, here’s John on 2, and Joe Henderson is the cover piece for issue 3.
View attachment 127667
I have really enjoyed the 2 that have been released so far. I saw that they set up a one-time-payment subscription through their bandcamp which I'm tempted by but it's still quite pricey. I might just end up waiting for them to trickle into UK shops which is how I got the first 2 vols.
Nice article, as @Portland Sheriff said, if you have the Egypt ‘71 set you wont be missing much by not getting this. The illustrations are nice though, very fitting with Ra's "DIY" style.

IMG_4429.jpg

My #1 reason for wanting #1!
No idea how the article is thought.
Definitely curious about the Marshall Allen article in #2 too.
Again, the illustrations are nice and fitting. The article is from a 2017 interview with Francis Gooding so you might be able to find it. Its 4 sides long (2 pages)

IMG_4430.JPG

Speaking of found tapes, does anyone have any comments on The Lost Recordings label? I’m sure their quality is good on the backend, but I listened to the online samples of Art Blakey, and it doesn’t sound so great to me. The Sarah Vaughn samples sounded much better, though.
They are cheaper from AS ($60 a piece) than from the LR site. I don't believe they are AAA but some (not all) are cut by KG and pressed at QRP. I have heard that overall they sound very good. I've been hemming and hawing over the Sarah Vaughan/Ella Fitzgerald/Blossom Dearie releases but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I have the Sarah Vaughan & the Art Blakey. They both sound pretty great, both are great shows. I don't think they are AAA, I think they are digitally enhanced, probably something like the Plangenat process but don't know for sure.

They are plated by QRP but pressed by Optimal. I did have an issue with some ticks on the Sarah Vaughan, but I'm sure that's just my bad luck. I'd buy more from them.

Great choice. I’ve been really into Toussaint lately. I need to get that RSD pressing if I can find it…

Speakers corner just did an awesome AAA reissue (cut by BoomBoom) of Life, Love and Faith. I highly recommend if you haven’t picked it up:

Southern nights is probably a top 10 album of all time for me. I’m hoping that the recent SC pressing means that Southern Nights AAA reissue or some of his other items may be on their way.
Read in the Plaid Room newsletter that they have the Toussaint: "Life Love and Faith" Speaker's Corner release in stock ($35).

Just announced by the Criterion Collection...

Thanks for the heads-up on this one! What a gem of a film!

Ended up going down a rabbit hole on American jazz artists who spent much of their lives abroad - never feeling accepted or appreciated in their home country. And who could blame them? Bought the "Round Midnight" OST and a couple of Don Byas titles for less than a fancy cup of coffee. I've really enjoyed reading up more on some of these amazing musicians.

Also came across this great little documentary on Jaki Byard done in 1980 by a Harvard film student on a shoestring budget.

I'm not very familiar with every pressing of this album, but I have the OJC and it sounds incredible. Great jazz album, check it out.

View attachment 127896
What a coincidence, I smoked a joint and blasted off with this album last night 😂. I found a pretty stellar sounding Japanese pressing at a local for a good price! The way Red kicks off his solo on Birks Works is incredible, sounds like a giant angry spider running at you. image.jpg

Cross-post from the Bandcamp Friday thread:

I know BC Friday is over, but I thought some of you may enjoy this upcoming release on the TruThoughts label. Its a colaborative album by Brooklyn-based saxophonist/producer Sly5thAve and Mexican keyboard extraordinaire Roberto Verastegui. The teaser track shows a cool blend of jazz, funk and Hip Hop which I think fans of Herbie Hancock, Joe Armon-Jones and Makaya McCraven will enjoy.

Preorders are up both for the digital and the 2LP release.

What a coincidence, I smoked a joint and blasted off with this album last night 😂. I found a pretty stellar sounding Japanese pressing at a local for a good price! The way Red kicks off his solo on Birks Works is incredible, sounds like a giant angry spider running at you. View attachment 127899
Hell yeah! Nice copy. Yeah, his soloing is great on this album, especially on the title track. Then Coltrane and Byrd paired up... 🤘

Back