Jazz

I saw that Khan Jamal passed and started looking into his music.

The influential jazz vibraphonist Khan Jamal died in Philadelphia on Monday (January 10), WBGO reports. He was 75. Khan played with Sunny Murray in the ’70s, in Ronald Shannon Jackson’s Decoding Society in the early ’80s, did time with the Sun Ra Arkestra and later formed Cosmic Forces with some of its former members. An avant garde experimentalist, he helped bridge the gap between free jazz and fusion.

I need some Sounds of Liberation, and of course the vinyl LPs are scarce, even though they were reissued a few years ago.

Heard through the Grapevine Sam Records is really struggling with pressing plant quality issues, enough so to be considering a new source or stopping. Something to keep an eye on.
Back in April last year I bought a copy of the Billy Harper Quintet from Sam Records and it had a strange mark on the record that continued into the deadwax, something within the vinyl itself (hard to actually see so I'm not surprised it wasn't picked up). It caused a ticking/noise on the last track so I messaged Fred. He got back to me really quickly with a replacement and said that it was the first release where he had reoccurring complaints about the same issue and was switching from Pallas with immediate effect.

The latest release, Donald Byrd & Bobby Jaspar, highlights the switch. I ordered the Wax Buyers version (which im pretty certain has the same pressing info) which arrived this week so I will listen to it at the weekend. Lastest info below:

Cut by kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering.
Plated at Quality Record Pressing (QRP).
180 gr vinyl pressed by Optimal in Germany.

Not sure if anyone is a Steve Grossman fan, but I recently got a few of his albums, and they're AMAZEBALLZ! I've been a fan of Grossman for many years as a member of the Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, but only recently did I look for albums with him as leader. I chose these two albums because one of them has McCoy Tyner, and the other one has Elvin Jones. These albums are not available on vinyl, and probably never will be, but I would check them out if you like "straight-ahead" jazz. Finally, the cover art is ATROCIOUS; however that's not a bad thing, because I've found that the quality of jazz albums is generally inversely proportional to how good the cover art is.

P1019856.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a great 68' African Jazz album I see @Russ I mentioned in the past from the archives. Seems to be getting very good comments, is 1/2 speed remastered at Abbey Road, affordable, and available at shops.

Last edited:
Here is a great 68' African Jazz album I see @Russ I mentioned in the past from the archives. Seems to be getting very good comments, is 1/2 speed remastered at Abbey Road, affordable, and available at shops.

That's some great post-Trane music. Thanks!!

I've got a previous pressing of this. Great album.

That’s a very good list based on the titles I know (there are a bunch I don’t know). Of his recorded work, I’m most familiar w O’Neal’s Porch and Piercing the Veil. I was lucky enough to see the Drake/Parker duo, Drake/Parker/Brotzmann, and the O’Neal’s quartet, which I think is the last time I saw him, now a long time ago.

And, Aqaurium Drunkard just published an interview w/ him this week: William Parker : The Aquarium Drunkard Interview : Aquarium Drunkard

Back