Jazz

I canā€™t wait till I get my black editions copy of the Parker, Brotzman, graves album!
I have been reading Parker's biography and he's such an interesting and influential artist. I always thought the Ware Quartet was one of the great jazz supergroups, a true Fantastic Four in NY. It is truly amazing how.much great work Parker has produced. Like Ellington, he certainly merits a Presidential Medal of Freedom and should be recogized at the Kennedy Center Honors.

This one is a stunner! I feel like I recall @Ethos99 posting he had some around the time it came out and I regret not jumping on it.

I need to revisit the Daniel Casimir - I fell asleep checking it out a while back and have forgotten to revisit it since
I didn't fall asleep because of the album, but because I was pushing to hard and been up for many hours too many at that point!
I canā€™t recommend this album enough. Especially for any free jazz/ avant-garde fans.

Yea I remember sort of now that there was a VMP Bethlehem reissue series and I never picked any up because they were pretty lacking of details (i think GZ and no mastering name attached).
The new ones are the same. I pre-ordered the Adams/Byrd - Motor City Scene and Dexter Gordan - Daddy Plays the Horn, hoping they might be KPG remasters like the recent Nina reissues on Bethlehem. Motor City Scene arrived over the weekend, and there's nothing but a GZ matrix in the runout. I think I got lucky--the pressing is fine--and the music is good. But it's a pretty underwhelming release overall, and definitely overpriced at the $29.99 I've seen it listed at a lot of places.

I almost canceled the Dexter Gordon (it's supposed to ship in a couple of weeks), but there aren't really other reissues out there right now, and I got a pretty good price through the Target B2G1 sale. I'd say if you can pick them up for a good price (under $20), it may be worth it, but don't expect an audiophile release.

Just announced by the Criterion Collection...

Such a fantastic film!

Asked @The Denmarkian Wonder in another thread, also here...opinions on the Miles Bootleg Series anyone ?
@Poly-Rythmo is your man for this one I think.

I have Vol. 1 (Europe 1967) and Vol. 5 (Freedom Jazz Dance). Both are great but Vol. 1 is something really special. Fantastic music, a decent booklet and great quality overall. Vol. 5 is still good but there's a lot of false starts and chatting, which is interesting but it struggles to flow as a result.

Asked @The Denmarkian Wonder in another thread, also here...opinions on the Miles Bootleg Series anyone ?
1 is one of the best jazz albums ever. 2 is as far out as Miles went but amazing. 3 is more normal jazz-funk and excellent. 4 is small sets from different periods and is a great primer to the different stages of Miles. 5 is least essential but fun in its own way. 6 is from same tour as the VMP Miles/Coltrane in Paris.

Yeah, this is a good summery, I wouldn't bother with the Record sets, CD's sound great and you get DVD's with a couple of them that aren't included in the Record sets. Vol 1 is a must , 2 if you want some intense electric Miles , #'s good too if you like early 70's Miles ,the others are less interesting for me , Newport has a couple of good things on it.
1 is one of the best jazz albums ever. 2 is as far out as Miles went but amazing. 3 is more normal jazz-funk and excellent. 4 is small sets from different periods and is a great primer to the different stages of Miles. 5 is least essential but fun in its own way. 6 is from same tour as the VMP Miles/Coltrane in Paris.

I just discovered Virginia Genta and her various Jooklo configurations, but it seems much of it isn't available on vinyl or at a low price. Found some releases on bandcamp. Any more seasoned Genta listeners recoomend any particular releases prior to It Is What It Is?

Thanks for the link. When I bought my first DVD player, this was the first movie I bought (along with This Is Spinal Tap). This looks exciting.

It could ceretainly use a freshen up video wise so it will be nice to see the Criterion. Maybe some cool extras ?
I subscribe to Criterion Channel streaming service and really hope they add this soon after the dvd release. The streaming service doesnā€™t have the entire Criterion library available at all times. It seems to be a large rotating subset, although i think thereā€™s a core thatā€™s always available.

Back