Jazz

Thelonious Monk Palo Alto "Engineers Mix"
v
Thelonious Monk Palo Alto "The Custodian's Mix"

What are jazz peeps preferred version of this one btw ?

Last edited:
If you click on the link and then click the special features drop down, it should list all the extras. A brief glance shows some cool looking supplements
Just as an FYI to everyone, in the Special Features there is a "Performance from 1969 of “Fried Bananas” by Dexter Gordon, directed by Teit Jørgensen". Apart from making me hungry, there is also an album with a later live performance of this that Gearbox released a few years back. Really great pressing and a belter of a performance.

Asked @The Denmarkian Wonder in another thread, also here...opinions on the Miles Bootleg Series anyone ?
Ill echo what others have said here: Bootleg Vol. 1 is an absolute gem. It may even be the best Second Quintet recording, or at least it is up there with the likes of Nefertiti, Miles Smiles and Plugged Nickel. Also, having several shows with a relatively stable setlist really shines a light on how they were able to reinvent those tunes night after night.

I saw that Khan Jamal passed and started looking into his music.

I need some Sounds of Liberation, and of course the vinyl LPs are scarce, even though they were reissued a few years ago.

FYI, Infinity was just re-pressed. I'm hoping Drum Dance to the Motherland gets one soon (Eremite).

Last edited:
shoutout to @keylime_5 for finding this:

the first in the contemporary reissue series.
1642608943632.png

FEATURES​

• Both albums were recorded by Contemporary Records' legendary engineer Roy DuNann and are newly mastered from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman
  • 180-gram vinyl pressed at RTI
  • Lacquers cut directly from original analog tapes to lacquer by legendary mastering engineer Bernie Grundman.
  • 32-page booklet features vintage photos and extensive new liner notes by GRAMMY® Award-winning music historian Ashley Kahn
  • Features collective personnel: Ornette Coleman - alto saxophone, Don Cherry - trumpet, Walter Norris - piano, Don Payne - bass, Percy Heath - bass, Red Mitchell - bass, Billy Higgins - drums, Shelly Manne - drums
  • Box set produced by Nick Phillips

shoutout to @keylime_5 for finding this:

the first in the contemporary reissue series.
View attachment 125586

FEATURES​

• Both albums were recorded by Contemporary Records' legendary engineer Roy DuNann and are newly mastered from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman
  • 180-gram vinyl pressed at RTI
  • Lacquers cut directly from original analog tapes to lacquer by legendary mastering engineer Bernie Grundman.
  • 32-page booklet features vintage photos and extensive new liner notes by GRAMMY® Award-winning music historian Ashley Kahn
  • Features collective personnel: Ornette Coleman - alto saxophone, Don Cherry - trumpet, Walter Norris - piano, Don Payne - bass, Percy Heath - bass, Red Mitchell - bass, Billy Higgins - drums, Shelly Manne - drums
  • Box set produced by Nick Phillips
....$76 for a 2 LP! This is nuts.

It's two Individual albums, AAA, 180G, Craft, pressed at RTI, Grundman, plus booklet and box presentation? I will probbaly pass on the Ornette, but look forward to the Pepper and whgat else they might choose.
i think i'll grab this one instead of the blue note box since i already have a few of the albums in the BN box and need to up my contemporary records count haha.

Ill echo what others have said here: Bootleg Vol. 1 is an absolute gem. It may even be the best Second Quintet recording, or at least it is up there with the likes of Nefertiti, Miles Smiles and Plugged Nickel. Also, having several shows with a relatively stable setlist really shines a light on how they were able to reinvent those tunes night after night.
I'm starting with Vol 1 and Vol 6 in digital. Is Vol 4 mostly Newport / Small sets ? I will try the electric stuff later on.

Last edited:
Just announced by the Criterion Collection...

Such a fantastic film!
Thanks for the link. When I bought my first DVD player, this was the first movie I bought (along with This Is Spinal Tap). This looks exciting.
I subscribe to Criterion Channel streaming service and really hope they add this soon after the dvd release. The streaming service doesn’t have the entire Criterion library available at all times. It seems to be a large rotating subset, although i think there’s a core that’s always available.
Nice article about the background of the story which is loosely based on Bud Powell and Herschel Evans.

Last edited:
I subscribe to Criterion Channel streaming service and really hope they add this soon after the dvd release. The streaming service doesn’t have the entire Criterion library available at all times. It seems to be a large rotating subset, although i think there’s a core that’s always available.
Unimportant but oddly coincidental to Criterion coming up at all in a jazz vinyl thread, I’ve been watching their currently featured series from their French New Wave collection, which has 45 films. I’m watching them in chronological order. My next movie in sequence, a day after Criterion showed up in this thread, is “Vivre sa vie” by Jean-Luc Godard, and the main character happens to work in a record store (Paris ~1961)! There have been records in a few of the previous films, and, of course, the killer Miles soundtrack in Elevator to the Gallows, but no record stores.

1642657368423.png

interesting new speakers corner reissues announced. maybe this is old news but i hadn't seen it! probably cheaper through JPC. sadly looks like SC is raising their prices too.
MD still has the old prices. Did JPC raise theirs too?

Last edited:
Back