Jazz

It's a British label run by a jazz DJ from London, Paul Murphy. I haven't heard any of these but have been tempted a few times. I'll probably pick one up at some point, I expect they will be good quality but not audiophile (no idea really). They go for £20 in the Uk, about the same price as Be With Records titles. @jamieanderson1968 $40 plus is Amazon overcharging.

edit - jazz messengers stock them & I think they do reasonable shipping to the US. They'll likely have the Patton in stock at some point soon.

Looks like jpc.de stocks at least some of them as well. US price is 21 Euros with minimal shipping charge (25.40 Euros total for one of these albums). Nothing against Jazz Messengers, it's just nice to have options.

Here is one that came highly recommended to me recently I wanted to pass on. I ordered today.
@Andy has pointed out this may of been available in Europe before NA as he has had his copy for a bit. It seems sold out in some places in NA but Amz, Dusty Grooves, Acoustic Sounds have it.

Willen had a great tone, not sure if I could compare him to Dexter, Hawk, or Bird ? But Sonny Criss seems to be closer ? Feel free to discuss other Wilen albums please.

1641582137871.png1641582415994.png

@The Denmarkian Wonder @RHANDMJ @Andy @Selaws @Poly-Rythmo @keylime_5 @btf1980 @Ghost @stpaulbrowns @avecigrec

Last edited:
Here is one that came highly recommended to me recently I wanted to pass on. I ordered today.
@Andy has pointed out this my of been available in Europe before NA as he has had his copy for a bit. It sems sold out in some places in NA but Amz, Dusty Grooves, Acoustic Sounds have it.

Willen had a great tone, not sure if I could compare him to Dexter, Hawk, or Bird ? So feel free to discuss other Wilen albums please.

View attachment 124106View attachment 124108

@The Denmarkian Wonder @RHANDMJ @Andy @Selaws @Poly-Rythmo @keylime_5 @btf1980 @Ghost @stpaulbrowns

good looks! i'll grab this one.

I was wondering if I should get the new disc of this band. Normally I really despise the ECM "reverby"-sound, but the band here is really good. Do you have the album, and if so, is the soundboard-added-reverb out of control, or tolerable? I'm talking about this album:

I haven’t listened to the album, but the reverb that you talk about is really a hallmark of 70’ and 80’s ECM. Contemporary recording still have a clean sound, but are more present.

Some great recs on this thread the last couple weeks. (Thanks for the Wilen tip, @JohnnyCashFan!)

I know this forum goes pretty quiet on the weekends, but how about a little Friday night callout?

Who is the one jazz artist you wish received more recognition? Doesn't necessarily need to be someone unknown - just someone you think deserves more accolades/notice/exposure.

Here's mine: Allen Toussaint

I know Toussaint could also be considered a rock, R&B, pop and/or funk musician, but I hear jazz in so many of the the songs he wrote and preformed. Toussaint is fairly well known in jazz circles, but I don't think the general public has any idea how many songs he wrote and how many of those songs ended up being recorded by other musicians. Here are just a few:

Southern Nights - Glenn Campbell
Fortune Teller - First by the Stones AND later by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley - Robert Palmer AND Phish
Freedom for the Stallion - Elvis Costello
Ruler of My Heart - Irma Thomas (his frequent collaborator)
Go Tell the People - Dr. John
Life - Dr. John
Working in the Coal Mine - Lee Dorsey AND Devo
A Certain Girl - Warren Zevon
Victim of Darkness
What is Success? Bonnie Raitt
On Your Way Down - Little Feat
Holy Cow - The Band

And there are so many more.

Anyway, I've been long-time Joe Henry fan and he produced the two albums Allen Toussaint recorded before he died. Both are incredible: Allen Toussaint - American Tunes and Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. It's often just Toussaint at the piano and it reminds me of weight of Johnny Cash's work with Rick Rubin toward the end of his life. Toussaint has some mad serious talent on the keys.

There also was a RSD release a few years back - The Allen Toussaint Collection.

And some of his older stuff is great as well. I ended up finding an OG copy of his From a Whisper to a Scream in an antiques store. And of course, Southern Nights is great as well. But be warned - vocals are not always his strong suit. Unfortunately, Toussaint also got swept up in the 70s music scene. The Pointer Sisters recorded a couple of his songs at the time - Yes We Can Can and Happiness.

Unfortunately, I only got to see him perform once before he died - a free outdoor show under the stars, sitting on a blanket in the park and sipping a glass of wine with my wife. What a night.

Anyone else have an artist they would like share a little love for?

Some great recs on this thread the last couple weeks. (Thanks for the Wilen tip, @JohnnyCashFan!)

I know this forum goes pretty quiet on the weekends, but how about a little Friday night callout?

Who is the one jazz artist you wish received more recognition? Doesn't necessarily need to be someone unknown - just someone you think deserves more accolades/notice/exposure.

I know Toussaint could also be considered a rock, R&B, pop and/or funk musician, but I hear jazz in so many of the the songs he wrote and preformed. Toussaint is fairly well known in jazz circles, but I don't think the general public has any idea how many songs he wrote and how many of those songs ended up being recorded by other musicians. Here are just a few:

Fortune Teller - First by the Stones AND later by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
Life - Dr. John
Victim of Darkness
Holy Cow - The Band

Anyway, I've been long-time Joe Henry fan and he produced the two albums Allen Toussaint recorded before he died. Both are incredible: Allen Toussaint - American Tunes and Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. It's often just Toussaint at the piano and it reminds me of weight of Johnny Cash's work with Rick Rubin toward the end of his life. Toussaint has some mad serious talent on the keys.

And some of his older stuff is great as well. I ended up finding an OG copy of his From a Whisper to a Scream in an antiques store. And of course, Southern Nights is great as well. But be warned - vocals are not always his strong suit. Unfortunately, Toussaint also got swept up in the 70s music scene. The Pointer Sisters recorded a couple of his songs at the time - Yes We Can Can and Happiness.

Unfortunately, I only got to see him perform once before he died - a free outdoor show under the stars, sitting on a blanket in the park and sipping a glass of wine with my wife. What a night.

I’m sure there are some vinyl copies out there some where. I love my copy

Life - Dr. John
Victim of Darkness
Holy Cow - The Band

Great choice. I’ve been really into Toussaint lately. I need to get that RSD pressing if I can find it…

Speakers corner just did an awesome AAA reissue (cut by BoomBoom) of Life, Love and Faith. I highly recommend if you haven’t picked it up:

Southern nights is probably a top 10 album of all time for me. I’m hoping that the recent SC pressing means that Southern Nights AAA reissue or some of his other items may be on their way.

Life - Dr. John
Victim of Darkness
Holy Cow - The Band

The artist for me would be Walt Dickerson. He’s a crazy talented vibraphone player and composer who doesn’t seem to get as much love these days as other jazz vibraphonists like Hutcherson. Doesn’t have many modern reissues from what I recall. He recorded 4 albums for New Jazz/Prestige then recorded on Steeplechase for awhile. I’m a big fan of the album To My Queen, which was dedicated to his wife. Andrew Hill plays piano on the album.

I need to dig into more of his albums (especially the Steeplechase stuff) but I’ve liked everything I have heard so far

So many names just in jazz, let alone other genre's.

How about this one to start for jazz. One of the best never heard of names, west coast trumpeter Don Sleet who some compared to Miles in elements and style. He recorded one great album on the Jazzland label produced by Orrin Keepnews later reissued by Fantasy/OJC.

Last edited:
Great choice. I’ve been really into Toussaint lately. I need to get that RSD pressing if I can find it…

Speakers corner just did an awesome AAA reissue (cut by BoomBoom) of Life, Love and Faith. I highly recommend if you haven’t picked it up:

Southern nights is probably a top 10 album of all time for me. I’m hoping that the recent SC pressing means that Southern Nights AAA reissue or some of his other items may be on their way.
Completely missed this SC reissue. Thanks!

Back