Jazz

So many names just in jazz, let alone other genre's.

How about this one to start for jazz. One of the best never heard of names, west coast trumpeter Don Sleet who some compared to Miles in elements and style. He recorded one great album on the Jazzland label produced by Orrin Keepnews later reissued by Fantasy/OJC.

Damn that’s a hell of a lineup!

Looks interesting but very little pressing info on any of Jazz Room's reissues. A couple of discogs entries list GZ. I would take a risk on it for $23 but not at $43. Will keep an eye out for it when i can actually go to TO and go to record stores again.

Very interesting that someone is reissuing the Nilva label - there are some good sessions on drummer Alvin Queen's label. They are all (with one notable and expensive exception) all straight ahead jazz sessions - pressed in France, many can get picked up for song and the ones I have also sound pretty great - these were also direct imported into Japan and you can find them with an obi occasionally. And the retro/cheesy covers just kinda work for this period of jazz. This Patton session is getting hard to find and the Dusko Goykovich side is highly sought after and pricey. The John Hicks title with his wife on flute is one I've been looking for
Fwiw, I picked up a VG+ copy of the Nilva press of this for $10.99 in April 2020 on Discogs [I almost said “last year” haha]. It doesn’t look like there are any for sale on Discogs now but I wouldn’t be surprised if anyother one popped up sometime - it looks like a few copies sold in 2021 in the $30-40 range. Mine has a bit of surface noise but nothing too noticeable.

I would also say John Patton seems underrated to me, not in the sense of people not knowing who he is, but more in the sense that none of his records, or any that he played as a sideman on, have been touched by the BN Tone Poet, 80th, or Classics reissue series. What’s the deal with that?! Glad that streak will be coming to an end with Harold Vick’s “Steppin’ Out”, whenever that actually ends up getting released.

Fwiw, I picked up a VG+ copy of the Nilva press of this for $10.99 in April 2020 on Discogs [I almost said “last year” haha]. It doesn’t look like there are any for sale on Discogs now but I wouldn’t be surprised if anyother one popped up sometime - it looks like a few copies sold in 2021 in the $30-40 range. Mine has a bit of surface noise but nothing too noticeable.

I would also say John Patton seems underrated to me, not in the sense of people not knowing who he is, but more in the sense that none of his records, or any that he played as a sideman on, have been touched by the BN Tone Poet, 80th, or Classics reissue series. What’s the deal with that?! Glad that streak will be coming to an end with Harold Vick’s “Steppin’ Out”, whenever that actually ends up getting released.
The Vick TP Lp w/ Patton is "scheduled" for July 22 now. Definitely on my list.

The Vick TP Lp w/ Patton is "scheduled" for July 22 now. Definitely on my list.

I agree.

Geez, it seems like Art Blakey, Grant Green and Freddie Hubbard titles make up more than half of all TP and Classics releases. I like those guys plenty, but to your point - there are SO many other artists/releases in the BN catalog that deserve some attention.

I agree.

Geez, it seems like Art Blakey, Grant Green and Freddie Hubbard titles make up more than half of all TP and Classics releases. I like those guys plenty, but to your point - there are SO many other artists/releases in the BN catalog that deserve some attention.
I think it's just a case of them knowing they will sell well, but in all honesty I feel like every Tone Poet release will sell well regardless of the popularity of the artist.

The Patton is a good example of this. First pressings of his albums are typically affordable compared to the bigger names, which usually reflects popularity yet I imagine the Tone Poet release will be popular. It's just a case of the organ not being a particularly popular instrument I guess, but perhaps shining a light on them with decent pressings will bump that.

I think it's just a case of them knowing they will sell well, but in all honesty I feel like every Tone Poet release will sell well regardless of the popularity of the artist.

The Patton is a good example of this. First pressings of his albums are typically affordable compared to the bigger names, which usually reflects popularity yet I imagine the Tone Poet release will be popular. It's just a case of the organ not being a particularly popular instrument I guess, but perhaps shining a light on them with decent pressings will bump that.
Thought some of you might enjoy Jim Alfresson's most excellent tribute album to Big John Patton

@Turbo

Last edited:
Some interesting news on the Jazz In Britain front. Matt Parker (co-founder) has left to run his own label "British Progressive Jazz". Hopefully, JIB still runs (they have plenty of pre-orders) which would mean we would have twice the amount of music on offer!!

Matt has recently set up a facebook group for the label which I joined a few days ago (not realising it was a label) and there's been a lot of people (myself included) sharing photos of some killer British Jazz. Its literally the only reason I still use facebook at the moment :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 14.10.52.png

Anyone know if the new label is all digital? Did not see any physical preorder info on those releases.
I imagine the source will differ depending on each release.

In terms of physical orders, Matt commented on a Facebook post that it's digital for the time being but there will be physical releases later in the year. The image for "Indo Jazz Fusions with Larry Adler" is a vinyl render. I also seem to remember being told there would be a physical release for the "Don Rendell Sextet - The Odysseus Suite" as well when they first previewed it through the Jazz In Britain subscription.

I imagine the source will differ depending on each release.

In terms of physical orders, Matt commented on a Facebook post that it's digital for the time being but there will be physical releases later in the year. The image for "Indo Jazz Fusions with Larry Adler" is a vinyl render. I also seem to remember being told there would be a physical release for the "Don Rendell Sextet - The Odysseus Suite" as well when they first previewed it through the Jazz In Britain subscription.
Awesome. Really enjoyed the LPs I have been able to get from JIB so far. Hopefully Dusty Groove picks up this new label for US distro as well.

EDIT: I now see they are saying ordering of the digital copy acts as a vote for physical pressings. I do not care for this method as I am completely disinterested in having digital copies.

Last edited:

This one is a stunner! I feel like I recall @Ethos99 posting he had some around the time it came out and I regret not jumping on it.

I need to revisit the Daniel Casimir - I fell asleep checking it out a while back and have forgotten to revisit it since
I didn't fall asleep because of the album, but because I was pushing to hard and been up for many hours too many at that point!

Here is one that came highly recommended to me recently I wanted to pass on. I ordered today.
@Andy has pointed out this may of been available in Europe before NA as he has had his copy for a bit. It seems sold out in some places in NA but Amz, Dusty Grooves, Acoustic Sounds have it.

Willen had a great tone, not sure if I could compare him to Dexter, Hawk, or Bird ? But Sonny Criss seems to be closer ? Feel free to discuss other Wilen albums please.

View attachment 124106View attachment 124108

@The Denmarkian Wonder @RHANDMJ @Andy @Selaws @Poly-Rythmo @keylime_5 @btf1980 @Ghost @stpaulbrowns @avecigrec

This one sold out pretty damn quick, still seems to be in stock here

Back