Jazz

FYI, here are the jazz titles in Rough Trade's sale section (US Store):

Any recommendations, especially from the Black Jazz label reissues? I also see Tubby Hayes for a nice price.
Gene Russell is a solid entry in the series if you haven't already grabbed it.

Unfortunately, it looks like only the color variant of Chester Thompson was on sale, and that's sold out. The black vinyl is listed at full price.

I picked up the two Henry Franklin albums. Broadly speaking, I'd say the first is more jazzy while the second is more funky. Both are really good. You can sample them here:

Likely the same price. But I can pair with another album to avoid shipping charges, and PR doesn't charge me sales tax either.

Edit: Scratch that, talked to Plaidroom and it sounds like they don't have a connection with a distributor for Impex releases (yet; they are working on it).
Can’t you do the same with AS once it gets in stock? I’d be a bit surprised if 5k copies sold out in the next month or so but crazier things have happened I suppose

Looks like a really interesting new Jazz In Britain release might be coming soon. Matt Parker posted this link on Facebook.

Larry Adler was a jazz harmonica player which is certainly unusual. One of his tracks appears in the 8LP Django Reinhart box set that I acquired last year.

If Calvin Keys - Proceed with Caution is available I’d grab it: just picked it up yesterday and it’s a lot of fun, lots of energy through out and the album art is some of my favorite
I think I’d pick up any Black Jazz reissues to be honest on sale. They all offer something different and it’s such a solid catalogue of music to pick from even if you go in blind. So happy they reissued the whole catalogue.

Good news for those who missed Superfly's reissue of Bobby Hamilton Quintet Unlimited – Dream Queen or don't want to spend, minimum, 150€ on it. It is listed on HMV Japan and should be reissued on April 16th (RSD release maybe?) by Japanese label P-Vine Records.

Good news for those who missed Superfly's reissue of Bobby Hamilton Quintet Unlimited – Dream Queen or don't want to spend, minimum, 150€ on it. It is listed on HMV Japan and should be reissued on April 16th (RSD release maybe?) by Japanese label P-Vine Records.

anybody have any of the P-Vine releases and can comment on quality?

Anyone familiar with Jazz Room Records? I stumbled across this listing on Amazon for a John Patton reissue (1983).
Amazon product ASIN B09K26CBVS
Not familiar with the label but the session looks interesting. Here is what Disty Grooves says
"An obscure session by John Patton, and a great one too! The set was recorded sometime between the end of Patton's successful run at Blue Note, and before he was rediscovered, and brought back out into the light by John Zorn and other younger players who appreciated his skill. The style of the album's in a mode that really recalls the farther-reaching organ work of Pattons' later Blue Note years, With Grachan Moncur & Acid Jazz Guitar Hero Melvin Sparks,"

Not familiar with the label but the session looks interesting. Here is what Disty Grooves says
"An obscure session by John Patton, and a great one too! The set was recorded sometime between the end of Patton's successful run at Blue Note, and before he was rediscovered, and brought back out into the light by John Zorn and other younger players who appreciated his skill. The style of the album's in a mode that really recalls the farther-reaching organ work of Pattons' later Blue Note years, With Grachan Moncur & Acid Jazz Guitar Hero Melvin Sparks,"
Looks interesting but very little pressing info on any of Jazz Room's reissues. A couple of discogs entries list GZ. I would take a risk on it for $23 but not at $43. Will keep an eye out for it when i can actually go to TO and go to record stores again.

Looks interesting but very little pressing info on any of Jazz Room's reissues. A couple of discogs entries list GZ. I would take a risk on it for $23 but not at $43. Will keep an eye out for it when i can actually go to TO and go to record stores again.
I'm not into paying high prices for more obscure sessions either. Maybe you could ask Doung if he has access to it for PBC ? I think you would be wiser to search out some of the more well known Patton sessions.

Has there been a tentative schedule for the release dates on all the new MoFi one-steps? I preordered the Cannonball Adderley and was curious if this will drop in 2022 or 2024.

I'm not into paying high prices for more obscure sessions either. Maybe you could ask Doung if he has access to it for PBC ? I think you would be wiser to search out some of the more well known Patton sessions.
Not sure I agree, friend! Alfred Lion generally considered organ jazz to be grease, and pushed it often into lighter, sometimes cheesy territory. Patton is a prime example. His Blue Note records range from good to cheese, with titles like That Certain Feeling which is excellent continually being passed over for reissue.

Patton was rediscovered by John Zorn in the 90's, and did two killer records as a result for DIW in Japan. Those two records are blazing hot, and show Patton as a very advanced player - far more so that BN allowed him. In fact, I would say this is really prime Patton period - not the BN years.

I would take Soul Connection over any of the 60's stuff. I find it sad that American tastes are continually stuck on the supposed warhorses and labels, while neglecting very superior sessions. Because it is better known (in America, but not necessarily elsewhere) doesn't mean it is better.

Very interesting that someone is reissuing the Nilva label - there are some good sessions on drummer Alvin Queen's label. They are all (with one notable and expensive exception) all straight ahead jazz sessions - pressed in France, many can get picked up for song and the ones I have also sound pretty great - these were also direct imported into Japan and you can find them with an obi occasionally. And the retro/cheesy covers just kinda work for this period of jazz. This Patton session is getting hard to find and the Dusko Goykovich side is highly sought after and pricey. The John Hicks title with his wife on flute is one I've been looking for

Not sure I agree, friend! Alfred Lion generally considered organ jazz to be grease, and pushed it often into lighter, sometimes cheesy territory. Patton is a prime example. His Blue Note records range from good to cheese, with titles like That Certain Feeling which is excellent continually being passed over for reissue.

Patton was rediscovered by John Zorn in the 90's, and did two killer records as a result for DIW in Japan. Those two records are blazing hot, and show Patton as a very advanced player - far more so that BN allowed him. In fact, I would say this is really prime Patton period - not the BN years.

I would take Soul Connection over any of the 60's stuff. I find it sad that American tastes are continually stuck on the supposed warhorses and labels, while neglecting very superior sessions. Because it is better known (in America, but not necessarily elsewhere) doesn't mean it is better.
I'm very comfortable in my warm Greasy / Trainspotting cocoon 😊
1641498642925.png

Last edited:
It's a British label run by a jazz DJ from London, Paul Murphy. I haven't heard any of these but have been tempted a few times. I'll probably pick one up at some point, I expect they will be good quality but not audiophile (no idea really). They go for £20 in the Uk, about the same price as Be With Records titles. @jamieanderson1968 $40 plus is Amazon overcharging.

edit - jazz messengers stock them & I think they do reasonable shipping to the US. They'll likely have the Patton in stock at some point soon.

Back