Jazz

Someone else snagged the Charlie Parker while it was in my basket 👀

(they did me a favour, I've overspent massively this month)
Ah how annoying! That's happened to me a few times with Superfly. Their stuff just flies off the shelves once they send the email alert out.

Muriel is on her way to my House .
I'm slightly nervous as they show as being shipped on the 22nd for me with no updates past "In transport to destination country". 5 days to get to the UK from Europe seems long, I'm just hoping its nothing to do with import fees with the new post-brexit world we now live in.

Yeah, I remember the last time it took a long time for the records to arrive for me, a bit further away than you, but it took ages, I actually sent them an email to see if they could look into it for me, Anyway hopefully they get here in good shape, that's all I ask .
I'm slightly nervous as they show as being shipped on the 22nd for me with no updates past "In transport to destination country". 5 days to get to the UK from Europe seems long, I'm just hoping its nothing to do with import fees with the new post-brexit world we now live in.

Ha! In Norway now, it takes 2-3 weeks to clear customs with normal mail, it seems. So I'm pretty chilled about mine being sent on the 22nd currently (although I was hoping something from Estonia would clear quicker than my normal stuff from France).

I thought it weird that I the same mail as the shipping notice it said 'Estimated to arrive no later than December 4, 2021'. Suspect it could take some time

It's been a great year to be a Mike Taylor fan. We have gone from having no 'new' music of his since 1967 to 2 albums of newly discovered material in the past few months. The first was the RSD Preperation on Sunbeam, a woefully underrated album that really was a highlight for me. That leads me to an hour ago when the latest from Jazz In Britain arrived. I have been streaming the album a lot recently and its fantastic, so to have it in a vinyl format is great.

PS. For those that want to take it a step further, there is a biography available titled 'Out Of Nowhere by Luca Ferrari'. Although the subject is fantastic I do feel like it's a bit of a basic exploration. A lot of the time I got the impression that the author came across as being too pushy during interviews (with some of the greatest British jazz musicians) and as a result a lot of the answers come across as being held back or snappy, ie "As I just said....". Still, its the only book on Taylor as far as I am aware (other than the comprehensive booklet included in Preperation) so worth reading anyway.

IMG_9829.JPG

LITA is doing some limited jazz reissues as part of their 20th anniversary:

tmp_2F1634851210425-7zxs6smz67t-1fdf69e51097d3159dd7399d1637d4dc_2F180GHMVLP01%2BLITA%2Bset%2Bmockup%2B_28gold%2BLP_29.jpg

tmp_2F1630706252919-y8kncu5zwrh-4450b86a9ed9a0d8de05f75efa3c6412_2Fvinyl-fullsize-mockup_v3.jpg

tmp_2F1631225078171-ixrb323sm19-9dc13137cfe9000b778df7e6f7b2cc9d_2FTWM56.lp-babyblue-LITA20.jpg

and some others!

LITA is doing some limited jazz reissues as part of their 20th anniversary:

tmp_2F1634851210425-7zxs6smz67t-1fdf69e51097d3159dd7399d1637d4dc_2F180GHMVLP01%2BLITA%2Bset%2Bmockup%2B_28gold%2BLP_29.jpg

tmp_2F1630706252919-y8kncu5zwrh-4450b86a9ed9a0d8de05f75efa3c6412_2Fvinyl-fullsize-mockup_v3.jpg

tmp_2F1631225078171-ixrb323sm19-9dc13137cfe9000b778df7e6f7b2cc9d_2FTWM56.lp-babyblue-LITA20.jpg

and some others!
(Fwiw, this negativity has nothing to do w/ you posting this!! It’s more about how bummed it makes me that their excellent content is often ruined by crap quality)

I’ve been a LitA customer since at least 2009, and they’ve reissued some seriously good music. Unfortunately, much of that great music also has been some of my worst, noisiest pressings (to name a few of the biggest disappointments among more than a dozen LitA releases in my collection, Szabo’s “Jazz Raga,” their original reissue of TL Barret‘s “Like a Ship,” and my copy of the compilation “I am the Center — New Age in The US“ is an outright, unlistenable disaster).

There was a time when their premium prices made arguable sense when vinyl reissue labels were more scarce, but now I don’t see it given bad qc and how little info they provide on sources material, lacquer, pressing plants, etc.

I know most/all of these will sell out relatively quickly bc that’s just how LitA releases roll, but, if I was in the market for Szabo’s “Dreams,” I’d much prefer to pay an extra premium for a known quantity like VMP’s reissue than LitA’s lower but still premium price for something that has potential to have legit issues.

Last edited:
might be of interest to some of y'all who don't have it already:

might be of interest to some of y'all who don't have it already:
"Hand-Fed"........the hell does that mean??

Back