Jazz

Stacy Kent's most recent album Song's From Other Places comes out on vinyl this week. She is a splendid modern jazz vocalist in the style of Blossom Dearie and others. I am ordering my copy from Darkside.

Well, thanks to the horrible influencers on N&G, I finally took a (major) plunge in Japan from Ella Records on Discogs. It started with a desire to find reasonably priced but good quality presses of a couple Dolphy titles, but then the benefit of lower marginal shipping ($5/disc after first) led to a few more items.

All media is NM/M- except EX+ for Dolphy’s “Last Date.” In a few instances, I saved $ with less good sleeve quality or no obi or in the case of Herbie/Dedication, no obi and no poster. I don’t care about obi’s but would have liked the Herbie poster.

Regardless, I’m psyched, and I appreciate the suggestion of Ella Records by a bunch of N&G folks. Here’s what I got:

Eric Dolphy “Last Date” (1984; Nippon; mono)
Anthony Williams ”Spring” (1985; Toshiba)
Herbie Hancock “Dedication” (1974; CBS/Sony)
Eric Dolphy “Outward Bound” (1976; Victor)
David Bowie “Ziggy Stardust” (1982; RVC)
I bought a handful of the early Bill Evans records from Ella many years back and it was one of my wisest vinyl purchases of all time. The dead quiet Japanese pressings really shine for the subtle magic of Evans and co.

I'm pretty new to these forums, so I wanted to know if it's cool to discuss jazz albums that are only out on CD? As I said on an earlier post, soooo many new jazz albums, as well as jazz albums from the the 90s, are not on vinyl, and probably never will be. And yet, many of these are fantabulous. This is the curse of a less-than-popular genre (I mean new jazz, not classic 50s-60s jazz - of which there is tons of vinyl).

All that is kind of a preamble to ask if anyone has heard the new Jim Hall double CD "San Fransisco 1986"? I just got it, and was floored! The two discs are probably some of the best live Jim Hall I've ever heard. If you like him, then this trio album is a must-have. Unfortunately, I would probably rate the sound quality as about a 6 or 7 out of 10.

R-16203553-1605212297-4850.jpeg.jpg

I'm pretty new to these forums, so I wanted to know if it's cool to discuss jazz albums that are only out on CD? As I said on an earlier post, soooo many new jazz albums, as well as jazz albums from the the 90s, are not on vinyl, and probably never will be. And yet, many of these are fantabulous. This is the curse of a less-than-popular genre.

All that is kind of a preamble to ask if anyone has heard the new Jim Hall double CD "San Fransisco 1986"? I just got it, and was floored! The two discs are probably some of the best live Jim Hall I've ever heard. If you like him, then this trio album is a must-have. Unfortunately, I would probably rate the sound quality as about a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Sure! Not a vinyl only forum but I think a lot of people just happen to listen on that format here.

I need to check out this Jim Hall Trio. (Need to check out more of Jim Hall in general!)

Got this from Hoffman's, looks like more lost Coltrane coming down the pipe. This time for the Blue Parrot label ?

Bootlegs, almost certainly taken from a lousy sounding grey market CD, where this material - substandard - floated around for years.

If there is a tape, Universal has it, and will fight to get it as they are the rights holder. The only tapes Universal doesn't have might be with Ravi Coltrane or the family of Naima Grubbs.

YES!! I have a very noisy OG copy of this. Great album, as is this one:
View attachment 112520
Definitely in the top tier. I think i would put that in the top 5. Throw in Red Clay, Sugar, Concierto, and Blue Moses and I think that would be my top 5 CTI records. Jobim’s Stone Flower and Wave are up there too. There’s a lot of good jazz that came out of CTI.

So so good. Given current Discogs prices, I feel quite lucky to have paid retail the ORG/Grundman/Pallas 45rpm press of Red Clay. It’s gorgeous. So so gorgeous.

Wow. I looked for that for a little while, it was when I was starting to get into Audiophile pressings. I got the 33 version, very surprised to see what they are selling for now. Great Album.

and this one:

While I enjoy Red Clay, First Light is IMO the superior Freddie Hubbard CTI record. Like, they were all great, but First Light is on a class of its own to me.

While not CTI, I really like the Freddie Hubbard set released this record day, can still be had for cheap.

While I enjoy Red Clay, First Light is IMO the superior Freddie Hubbard CTI record. Like, they were all great, but First Light is on a class of its own to me.

Wow. I looked for that for a little while, it was when I was starting to get into Audiophile pressings. I got the 33 version, very surprised to see what they are selling for now. Great Album.

and this one:

I came here to post that Straight Life is my favorite CTI Hubbard album, and one of the albums responsible for getting me into jazz.

Back