Jazz

I'm not hugely familiar with his later work, but I love both versions of Meditations (specially First Meditations) and Transition. The latter may even be my favorite Coltrane record. I've sampled other albums of the era, but I haven't enjoyed them as much, although that may change sometime.
I'm happy this topic got brought up; it inspired me to play "Interstellar Space". It's a pretty fun album.

I agree with you. To add to the others I picked up this a while ago, which I like

Love this Trane/Cherry myself, but it is a bit more accessible than the others mentioned IMHO.

Yeah, but still later period I think
Was actually recorded in 60' for Atlantic, but not released until 66'. The Ertegun's/Atlantic might of thought the world was not quite ready for it (free jazz) in 60' or that it was not up to other standards.

Last edited:
Was actually recorded in 60' for Atlantic, but not released until 66'. Ertegun might of thought the world was not quite ready for it in 60 or that it was not up to other standards. Not sure.

That's the knowledge I didn't have. Makes sense listening to the album, but why hold it back. I wonder if it would have had a different impact if released in 60

That's the knowledge I didn't have. Makes sense listening to the album, but why hold it back. I wonder if it would have had a different impact if released in 60
free jazz was quite a stigmatization at first in the jazz world, much like Dylan going electric in comparison. The Ertegun's may have not felt it was right to release it or just felt it would not sell even with Trane's name on it despite releasing something like Pithecanthropus Erectus from Mingus.

Last edited:
free jazz was quite a stigmatization at first in the jazz world, much like Dylan going electric in comparison. The Etegun's may have not felt it was right to release it or just felt it would not sell even with Trane's name on it despite release something like Pithecanthropus Erectus from Mingus.
Why release it when you are still selling Giant Steps and My Favorite Things like hotcakes? Every time Trane put out a new Impulse record, and the further out they were, the more those two Atlantics sold.

I am a massive fan of so-called late period Coltrane (there is really no such thing, given the very condensed time frame). The band with Alice and Rashied gave him a new freedom, and the very late material, like Stellar Regions, is very structured.

BTW, it is known that the best late Coltrane is still unreleased. Seems like Universal are more interested in packaging the easier listening stuff and reissuing Ballads than really getting unreleased material out there.

Interstellar Space and Expression are two particular favorites of mine from the last era of Coltrane. I think the in-studio later work shines brighter than the live stuff.
they give me a headache unfortunely but I understand and respect why others might like the experimentation. I have a very fine free jazz line but I also hold Trane in this most highest regard.

Last edited:
That’s pretty much all the Trane I listen to now, I do love Ole, Africa/ Brass , Crescent ,The Vanguard stuff pre ALS , but all those post albums are amazing! Quartet Plays, Meditations, Transition, Sun Ship, Interstellar, etc . The Japanese recordings as well- Top Shelf Trane, And not forgetting The Half Note!!
I have been listening to the late period of Coltrane heavily this week. Some folks in my circle really do not enjoy his work post-A Love Supreme, but I firmly disagree. There are some pieces here and there that I do not particularly care for, but in general I can celebrate the entire Coltrane catalog. How do you all feel about the post-great quartet period?

I quite like Interstellar Space since it’s so different and provides so much space for improvisation with just Rashied Ali accompanying on drums. I also have a mono copy of Ascension that I throw on if I want to clear the cobwebs out. I’ve had Om, Sun Ship and Meditations throughout the years but got rid of them. My patience for post ALS Coltrane is pretty low though.

Totally forgot I had this one!
I mean it says “World Pacific Jazz” on it, but the soul label is throwing me off.

I know Buddy Rich via Whiplash, but is this one considered in the Jazz realm?
View attachment 112356
Ah nice! I found a copy of this earlier in the summer. Definitely jazz, yes.

Buddy was somewhat of the 'bad boy' of the jazz world during his prime, he even had a punch up with Sinatra. I have a run of Crescendo magazines from the late 60's where he was a guest columinst. He wrote some really great pieces and never held back. Buddy was one of the musicians from the Big Band old school that continued through the decades and only stopped when he passed away.

If you like this then check out 'Mercy Mercy'. Its another live date recorded the year before this one and certainly packs a punch. I also like his Live At Ronnie Scotts releases as well.

That’s pretty much all the Trane I listen to now, I do love Ole, Africa/ Brass , Crescent ,The Vanguard stuff pre ALS , but all those post albums are amazing! Quartet Plays, Meditations, Transition, Sun Ship, Interstellar, etc . The Japanese recordings as well- Top Shelf Trane, And not forgetting The Half Note!!
I was waiting for you to drop in on this!

I really like Live In Seattle, such a killer combo with Pharoah Sanders. Sun Ship is one that I have been meaning to get, it's been a while since I listened to it as well so might have to stream it tomorrow.

Ah nice! I found a copy of this earlier in the summer. Definitely jazz, yes.

Buddy was somewhat of the 'bad boy' of the jazz world during his prime, he even had a punch up with Sinatra. I have a run of Crescendo magazines from the late 60's where he was a guest columinst. He wrote some really great pieces and never held back. Buddy was one of the musicians from the Big Band old school that continued through the decades and only stopped when he passed away.

If you like this then check out 'Mercy Mercy'. Its another live date recorded the year before this one and certainly packs a punch. I also like his Live At Ronnie Scotts releases as well.
I found mine for $1 at the thrift store and despite it being in a paper sleeve it’s pretty good looking if you ask me! Some minor scratches but they don’t look to be detrimental to playing.

It’s been cleaned once, but I haven’t gotten to listening yet.

Guess that’s gonna change here soon!
71D27C5C-C0FE-4EA0-AC3D-3C516C58CCA2.jpeg52A0A8FB-E6C1-49E3-B05A-47D9DD152657.jpeg

Buddy is definitely jazz, Swings like a MF and has incredible technique . Jus a natural talent . He started playing very young . Here he is at 12 . ,
Totally forgot I had this one!
I mean it says “World Pacific Jazz” on it, but the soul label is throwing me off.

I know Buddy Rich via Whiplash, but is this one considered in the Jazz realm?
View attachment 112356

Well, thanks to the horrible influencers on N&G, I finally took a (major) plunge in Japan from Ella Records on Discogs. It started with a desire to find reasonably priced but good quality presses of a couple Dolphy titles, but then the benefit of lower marginal shipping ($5/disc after first) led to a few more items.

All media is NM/M- except EX+ for Dolphy’s “Last Date.” In a few instances, I saved $ with less good sleeve quality or no obi or in the case of Herbie/Dedication, no obi and no poster. I don’t care about obi’s but would have liked the Herbie poster.

Regardless, I’m psyched, and I appreciate the suggestion of Ella Records by a bunch of N&G folks. Here’s what I got:

Eric Dolphy “Last Date” (1984; Nippon; mono)
Anthony Williams ”Spring” (1985; Toshiba)
Herbie Hancock “Dedication” (1974; CBS/Sony)
Eric Dolphy “Outward Bound” (1976; Victor)
David Bowie “Ziggy Stardust” (1982; RVC)

Gutted to say this but I just found out that the legendary Peter Ind passed away at the end of August.

Ind was a bassist, producer, venue operator, author, the list goes on. I have shared stories on here before about him as he really was a fascinating character. He was a session musician that appeared on albums by Jutta Hipp, Lee Konitz, Paul Bley, etc. He actually created his own label, Wave, in the late 1950’s after producing sessions in his loft for the likes of Zoot Sims, Gerry Mulligan, and Booker Little. In addition to this, he also worked as a sound engineer for labels that included Atlantic, Verve and Bethlehem and recorded albums such as Booker Ervin’s ‘The Book Cooks’. Plus he authored a fantastic book on Lennie Tristano, it makes you wonder if there is anything he couldnt turn his hand to really!

In recent years he set up a youtube channel and instagram account and posted some really interesting bits that looked at his music and art. He actually messaged me through his Instagram once to thank me for highlighting one of his albums (the stellar 1960 'Looking Out').

Heres a few articles that highlight his impressive career.

Back