Jazz

Afternoon everyone. Just stumbled across this and it looks really interesting.

Appleton Estate rum has selected 4 contemporary jazz musicians to curate a record which is shipped with a small bottle of rum, pre-made mixer, and a copper or ceramic cup. The first release has a copy of Jazzwise included as well. The idea is that the musician chooses a track from their discography and pairs it with a Jamaican track that inspired them. So far they have them from:

Moses Boyd (Axiom) (Black Uhuru -Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
CKTRL (Love Bomb) (I-Roy - Leggo Beast)
Theon Cross (40TUDE) (Dennis Brown - Money in my pocket)
Demae (Basic Love) (tbc)

I think if each release included more music I would probably be a lot more interested. I LOVE the concept of pairing a musicians music with their influences and Jamaica's influence on jazz has long been in the shadows, especially here in the UK (Dizzy Reece, Joe Harriott, etc), so its great to see the current scene paying their respects in this way.

Sadly looks like it’s only available in the UK!

Nice! I’m definitely interested in that. There’s a direct lineage from jazz to ska and beyond in reggae. Listen to some of The Skatalites stuff and tell me it’s not influenced by jazz. Don Drummond and Tommy McCook were straight up jazz players before moving to ska.
Fantastic! Its a brilliant idea for a series for sure, so much to explore!

Sadly looks like it’s only available in the UK!
Ah damn, maybe they will expand it in the future if it sells well over here.

I was meaning to share this here but totally forgot.

Ill Considered has released the pre-orders for their latest release since the behemoth IC10 box set.

Interestingly they have dropped the numbered approach and titled this one 'Liminal Space'. Even more interesting is that it is their first fully produced studio album and features the likes of Tamar Osborn, Sarathy Korwar and Theon Cross. Even MORE interesting is that they also announced a 2-night residency here in London whereby the audience will somehow influence the groups playing in real time, with Vincent De Boer being present to create some artwork based on the music and with Lisa Wormsley videoing it. At the end of the night the performance, artwork, and music video will create a single 'album' that will only be experienced by the people present. It's a really cool sounding idea and I actually talked of the idea of how they would incorporate the visual perspective into their live performances after they released their box set.

Any one know where I can buy Yussef Dayes records that don't cost $100 or more? I discovered him much later than most, and wanna buy some his records.
I've heard that Welcome To The Hills is being reissued. Not too sure if it's true or not though as it was a comment from someone that claimed to have messaged the label about it. I just looked and the 'Yussef Dayes, Alfa Mist Ft Mansur Brown & Rocco Palladino – Love Is The Message (Live At Abbey Road Studios)' which I shared here a while ago is selling for £144 on average and highest of £250. That is INSANE especially as it's a single 10-minute release (more fool me for not getting a copy).

It's crazy how popular he is but I have a theory behind it. I was actually going to post here this morning about a festival I went to last week (I still will I think) and Yussef Dayes was one of the highlights for sure. I went with my fiancee but as it happens her sister, sisters boyfriend, and friends all went as well. It's a tiny festival so we eventually bumped into them and got chatting. We were talking about who we wanted to see/who we had already seen and (bear in mind it was a jazz, funk & soul festival) they didn't know a lot of the people we were mentioning (Nubya Gacia, Comet Is Coming, etc). When I mentioned Yussef Dayes they all immediately got excited and said he was the main reason they were coming.

Now, these guys aren't into jazz really but they are into drum and bass. They are also of the generation/group that are into buying hipster stuff, clothes etc (not that they would admit it). I really think that the reason Yussef's records go for so much is that on top of their limitedness, there's a wide range of people that would buy them. I personally am interested in them for their music, but I can also imagine the people that I mentioned paying a couple hundred just for its limited aspect, despite them not actually having anything to play it on.

Ahhhhh, so it’s their fault!!🤪
I've heard that Welcome To The Hills is being reissued. Not too sure if it's true or not though as it was a comment from someone that claimed to have messaged the label about it. I just looked and the 'Yussef Dayes, Alfa Mist Ft Mansur Brown & Rocco Palladino – Love Is The Message (Live At Abbey Road Studios)' which I shared here a while ago is selling for £144 on average and highest of £250. That is INSANE especially as it's a single 10-minute release (more fool me for not getting a copy).

It's crazy how popular he is but I have a theory behind it. I was actually going to post here this morning about a festival I went to last week (I still will I think) and Yussef Dayes was one of the highlights for sure. I went with my fiancee but as it happens her sister, sisters boyfriend, and friends all went as well. It's a tiny festival so we eventually bumped into them and got chatting. We were talking about who we wanted to see/who we had already seen and (bear in mind it was a jazz, funk & soul festival) they didn't know a lot of the people we were mentioning (Nubya Gacia, Comet Is Coming, etc). When I mentioned Yussef Dayes they all immediately got excited and said he was the main reason they were coming.

Now, these guys aren't into jazz really but they are into drum and bass. They are also of the generation/group that are into buying hipster stuff, clothes etc (not that they would admit it). I really think that the reason Yussef's records go for so much is that on top of their limitedness, there's a wide range of people that would buy them. I personally am interested in them for their music, but I can also imagine the people that I mentioned paying a couple hundred just for its limited aspect, despite them not actually having anything to play it on.

Ahhhhh, so it’s their fault!!🤪
Hahaha one of the reasons maybe. Welcome To The Hills is a fantastic album and the package is certainly great, but it's hard to justify its £150 average unless the limitedness is taken as a justification in itself.

I ended up buying a UK import of Yussef Kamaal for about $31. So that'll,scratch the itch for a bit.

Any one know where I can buy Yussef Dayes records that don't cost $100 or more? I discovered him much later than most, and wanna buy some his records.
Which ones are you looking for aside from Yussef Kamaal or Welcome To The Hills?

Which ones are you looking for aside from Yussef Kamaal or Welcome To The Hills?
Mostly just Welcome to the Hills and then the Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music on Blue Note. I'm not chasing any of those 10 inchers or that 1-track 12 inch that people are trying to sell for $500.

I'm sure the Blue Note title will eventually be repressed. Welcome to the Hills is a loooooooong shot right now, and as a matter of principle, I won't pay flipper prices. So, I'll just stream it until it is repressed (if ever). Or if @Selaws could just remove it from the picture frame on the wall of his friend's house and mail it to me in the US, that'll do too!

I'm content with the Yussef Kamaal album for now.

Mostly just Welcome to the Hills and then the Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music on Blue Note. I'm not chasing any of those 10 inchers or that 1-track 12 inch that people are trying to sell for $500.

I'm sure the Blue Note title will eventually be repressed. Welcome to the Hills is a loooooooong shot right now, and as a matter of principle, I won't pay flipper prices. So, I'll just stream it until it is repressed (if ever). Or if @Selaws could just remove it from the picture frame on the wall of his friend's house and mail it to me in the US, that'll do too!

If I see any represses of those 2 will let ya know! Have you listened to Kamaal Williams at all too? I really like The Return.

I was meaning to share this here but totally forgot.

Ill Considered has released the pre-orders for their latest release since the behemoth IC10 box set.

Interestingly they have dropped the numbered approach and titled this one 'Liminal Space'. Even more interesting is that it is their first fully produced studio album and features the likes of Tamar Osborn, Sarathy Korwar and Theon Cross. Even MORE interesting is that they also announced a 2-night residency here in London whereby the audience will somehow influence the groups playing in real time, with Vincent De Boer being present to create some artwork based on the music and with Lisa Wormsley videoing it. At the end of the night the performance, artwork, and music video will create a single 'album' that will only be experienced by the people present. It's a really cool sounding idea and I actually talked of the idea of how they would incorporate the visual perspective into their live performances after they released their box set.

Bummed that they got a new bassist. I loved their original player. I wonder if he will be out of Wildflower as well.

Those 2 are great. I have the VMP of both of them and the Welcome To The Hills really is a great pressing. I managed to get it in the Swaps otherwise I would have missed out as I wasnt paying the $50 they initially wanted.

Hahaha I would imagine quite a few of them are unplayed and on peoples walls annoyingly.
If I see any represses of those 2 will let ya know! Have you listened to Kamaal Williams at all too? I really like The Return.
Really great, im going to have to dig it out now to play!

Bummed that they got a new bassist. I loved their original player. I wonder if he will be out of Wildflower as well.
Yeah I really don't know what happened. Leon was the founding member and it was he who worked on a lot of the behind the scenes stuff to get the vinyl pressed and sent out. He wasn't on the IC10 either and oddly enough when I saw Wildflower live early last year he wasn't there either, they had Tom Herbert on bass instead. I actually took a white label copy of their album along and had them sign the blank label. Tom jokingly even put "Im not Leon" on there after asking me if it was ok (which I take as being no bad blood between them....hopefully).

IMG_1860.jpeg

WBGO's massive Fall 2021 preview of everything jazz is now out: From Bold Strokes to Fond Returns, Here's Our Guide to Feeling Good This Season

Jazz United pod (with Nate Chinen and Greg Bryant) offer A Fall Preview Six-Pack: Jazz United Picks Some Winner taken from the WBGO's fall preview.

There is some amazing stuff coming coming out/happening this fall. Almost enough to make life feel "normal" again.

I'll be updating the Jazz Reissues (and a few New Releases) spreadsheet today to include some of the titles that have slipped past me.

Last edited:
Back