Jazz

So I finally got the Lateef One-Step from Craft and listened to it this morning, followed by the OJC repress version.

The Craft version comes in a nice slipcase (though I read online some had damage due to the flag that's used to remove the LP). It has a standard insert. I like that they went with the original stereo Moodsville label and the jacket is well done. It's not thin vinyl but not particularly heavy either.

Most important: the sound is exquisite. Little details and channel separation come out. And not a click or pop on my copy. But that said, when I followed this listen with my OJC press, it's almost as great. Perhaps my living room setup (an orbit U-turn TT, a 1970s Pioneer receiver, and two pairs of decent but not amazing speakers) is not audiophile enough to pick up the noticeable quality difference.

I'm very interested to get reviews from @McGlam, @zdkaiser, and others on this expert thread but that's my initial reaction.

Last edited:
So I finally got the Lateef One-Step from Craft and listened to it this morning, followed by the OJC repress version.

The Craft version comes in a nice slipcase (though I read online some had damage due to the flag that's used to remove the LP). It has a standard insert. I like that they went with the original stereo Moodsville label and the jacket is well done. It's not thin vinyl but not particularly heavy either.

Most important: the sound is exquisite. Little details and channel separation come out. And not a click or pop on my copy. But that said, when I followed this listen with my OJC press, it's almost as great. Perhaps my living room setup (an orbit U-turn TT, a 1970s Pioneer receiver, and two pairs of decent but not amazing speakers) is not audiophile enough to pick up the noticeable quality difference.

I'm very interested to get reviews from @McGlam, @zdkaiser, and others on this expert thread but that's my initial reaction.
Interestingly they didn’t have a high res scan of the original sleeve to hand, so they contacted DJ Pari through Instagram and asked (and presumably paid) for scans of his OG copy.

I agree with your assessment. I’ve had my copy for a few weeks now and have had time to listen quite a few times. I expected my initial surprise at the high sound quality to level out but I’m still amazed everytime I listen, and until this I was firmly in favour of passing up on these one-steps in favour of waiting for originals. My sleeve of copy was unfortunately scratched up (more like rubbed against something) but they have sent me a replacement, so can’t complain.

Also worth noting that I have the VMP craft copy to compare and it’s miles apart. I was more than happy with that copy as well but when you are able to compare with something that sounds this much better, the nuances really come out and are more apparent.

Interestingly they didn’t have a high res scan of the original sleeve to hand, so they contacted DJ Pari through Instagram and asked (and presumably paid) for scans of his OG copy.

I agree with your assessment. I’ve had my copy for a few weeks now and have had time to listen quite a few times. I expected my initial surprise at the high sound quality to level out but I’m still amazed everytime I listen, and until this I was firmly in favour of passing up on these one-steps in favour of waiting for originals. My sleeve of copy was unfortunately scratched up (more like rubbed against something) but they have sent me a replacement, so can’t complain.

Also worth noting that I have the VMP craft copy to compare and it’s miles apart. I was more than happy with that copy as well but when you are able to compare with something that sounds this much better, the nuances really come out and are more apparent.
My copy has a bit more surface noise than I'd like given the pricetag, particularly the first track on Side A. I've wet cleaned it a few times. On the other cleaner tracks, it does sound great, but I question whether my gear (or my slightly damaged hearing) can pick up any subtle nuisances relative to another AAA pressing of this title. I need to spend more time with the pressing, that's for sure.

First time I listened was through my Senn HD650s headphones and I wasn't that impressed, due to being distracted by the surface noise. Through my JBL monitors it sounds much better.

Others were talking about how quiet the Neotek vinyl is, but I havent had this experience. Also, my copy has more of a clear with whispy black "smoke" appearance. My Lush Life was straight translucent, so uncertain if some non Neotek snuck into the puck. Hard to explain.

If anyone fancies listening to something really powerful then Adrian Younge - The American Negro on the Jazz Is Dead label is well worth looking into.

It's purposefully provocative and unapologetically so (that's before we even discuss the cover art). It's a really interesting format as well. 26 tracks long and drenched in funk, but with a spoken word commentary at the end of each track which really reminds me of Gil Scott-Heron's work.

I spun my Eastern Sounds record today, and all I can say is wow. First, it’s dead silent, and it sounds like the players are right there in the room. Second, it was my first time ever hearing the album. I’d heard of Lateef in passing, but that’s really it, so I truly didn’t know what to expect. Man, am I impressed. *chef’s kiss*

I got the latest Acoustic Sounds series titles through yesterday @JohnnyCashFan I haven't cleaned them yet, but given them a first spin.

Gil Evans sounds great, well worth a purchase. The ray Charles sounds mostly great (Moanin' sounds fantastic & there is some great organ sounds) but on the brass on the left channel it's sounding a bit bright /harsh. I'm hoping a clean will sort it out, or some tweaking with my set-up. I've not heard anyone else complaining.

I got the latest Acoustic Sounds series titles through yesterday @JohnnyCashFan I haven't cleaned them yet, but given them a first spin.

Gil Evans sounds great, well worth a purchase. The ray Charles sounds mostly great (Moanin' sounds fantastic & there is some great organ sounds) but on the brass on the left channel it's sounding a bit bright /harsh. I'm hoping a clean will sort it out, or some tweaking with my set-up. I've not heard anyone else complaining.
The Gil Evans is FANTASTIC, one of my favorite records ever. And the Ray Charles sounds better than expected, very loud, on the verge of overloading all the time. Really dynamic and fantastic. Highly recommend them both!!

Cross-post from Pre-order thread. Two J-Jazz reissues by Production Dessinée and Superfly Records.

Huge Strata-East legends reunion to celebrate label's 50th anniversary :

IMG_20210521_102955.jpg
IMG_20210521_103017.jpg

I just got around to spinning the Sarah Vaughan/Clifford Brown acoustic sounds reissue for the first time, even though it's been laying around here for months. It's absolutely stunning. Sadly I found out when I removed the shrink that cover was damaged in multiple places, but not much I can do about it several months later.

Those Live At Slugs albums are fantastic.
Huge Strata-East legends reunion to celebrate label's 50th anniversary :

View attachment 100091
View attachment 100092

Back