Jazz

Does anyone have any of these Actuel reissues? I can’t seem to find anything about them, They are reasonably priced with fare folds, but no reviews on quality.

I have a couple of the steeplechase reissues and both sound great, I’m hoping this is another reissue series I can dip into over time.

Haven’t got any of them, I saw a few down here a couple weeks ago, but they seemed like grey market pressings, they weren’t ACT , but a different label that I’d never heard of. Some good titles there, I have an OG Of Mu first part and it’s stellar sound.
Does anyone have any of these Actuel reissues? I can’t seem to find anything about them, They are reasonably priced with fare folds, but no reviews on quality.

I have a couple of the steeplechase reissues and both sound great, I’m hoping this is another reissue series I can dip into over time.

Haven’t got any of them, I saw a few down here a couple weeks ago, but they seemed like grey market pressings, they weren’t ACT , but a different label that I’d never heard of. Some good titles there, I have an OG Of Mu first part and it’s stellar sound.
Yeah, these pop up here every now and again at places like honest jons and sounds of the universe and I have a few which are fine for the price but in no means audiophile. I always assumed they were part of the Scorpio reissues from years ago that keep cropping up every now and again.

On Jazzmesengers the only information they have as BYG, which is the parent label of Actual. made me hopeful they were legit, like the Steeplechase series.

Yeah, these pop up here every now and again at places like honest jons and sounds of the universe and I have a few which are fine for the price but in no means audiophile. I always assumed they were part of the Scorpio reissues from years ago that keep cropping up every now and again.

I bought a scorpio blue note a few years back, it was awful. Complete waste of money.

Yeah, these might have been Scorpio's I think, probably not worth it, but if you pick one up let us know if that's the case and how they are .

Just got my Speaker's Corner Shape of Jazz to Come yesterday and spinning it this morning. It sounds seriously unbelievably good. I have the Rhino reissue and the version that came with the Atlantic box set, and this blows them both away, it's not even close. Sounds so immediate and raw. The deadwax and the labels are wrong though, A side and B side were mixed up by accident, but whatever, not a big deal. I'm REALLY happy with this cut. I think it's absolutely essential! If anyone's on the fence, this is the version to get.

Speaking of Speakers Corner, and I know this is a Blues record and not Jazz, but anybody has Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign? I got it recently and was a bit disappointed by the vocals? It is totally buried in the mix on some of the songs, but not in all. So much so that I had to check my interconnects to make sure it wasn't on my front. Interested on any others experience with it.

I got the Keith Jarrett Sun Bear box set in the mail yesterday! It's really amazing, I mean the packaging is fantastic. The first concert sounds perfect and the playing is incredible--

But I had an issue on LP3 side 2. Lots of digital-sounding artifacts. Anyone have the same issue? It might've been no-fill, and if so, it's the absolute worst no-fill I've ever heard. Like multiple places where the artifacting was very loud.

I got the Keith Jarrett Sun Bear box set in the mail yesterday! It's really amazing, I mean the packaging is fantastic. The first concert sounds perfect and the playing is incredible--

But I had an issue on LP3 side 2. Lots of digital-sounding artifacts. Anyone have the same issue? It might've been no-fill, and if so, it's the absolute worst no-fill I've ever heard. Like multiple places where the artifacting was very loud.

I have the set, but I’ve been stuck on the Osaka concert. The whole box is a massive about of music. This may be a strange idea, but I’ve been think about making a journal while listening to it. Kind of like a thought map of my reactions and ideas. If I was any kind of artist may I could get ambitious and draw or paint stuff as well. No I just fold clothes when I listen to it.

I have the set, but I’ve been stuck on the Osaka concert. The whole box is a massive about of music. This may be a strange idea, but I’ve been think about making a journal while listening to it. Kind of like a thought map of my reactions and ideas. If I was any kind of artist may I could get ambitious and draw or paint stuff as well. No I just fold clothes when I listen to it.
In terms of your journal idea, I would definitely go for it.

I have mentioned it here before but a while ago now (almost 2 years!) I started documenting my records on Instagram, 1 post a day. To begin with, I just noted down general info but I'm now at the point where I read up on each one and condense my thoughts into a single post. Its so much fun (for me anyway) and always generates conversations with other music nerds.

I think a journal's a great idea! The set really is amazing, honestly. I love Jarrett's solo concerts and this period in particular seems like it was his peak. I went through the set sort of fast without listening too close, but I noticed lots of recurring themes and ideas played out and shifted in subtle and really fascinating ways. I plan on going through it again a lot slower over the coming weeks!

And let me know if you do notice any issues. There are a few noisy places that might just need a good cleaning, but that LP3 side 2 was really bad. I'm not sure if it's just my copy and I should clean / ask for replacements or not.

Back