Jazz

I’m going to co-sign on those Time-Life volumes as well.
I DJ-ed some swing music nights for a few years at some large nightclubs down in Florida. They sounded fantastic on a huge professional nightclub sound system. They were an essential part of my sets!

I'm playing mine this week. I think they cost me $10 at the local Thrift, they were unplayed, I might be missing a few volumes or I gave them away?)

20210421_095801.jpg

Last edited:
Man, this Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders album is really good. The balance between the repetition of chords and Sanders's passionate delivery is *chef's kiss*. Also, the moment Sanders starts his weird humming-singing on Movement 4 is absolutely beautiful. It's like he has explored all the expressive possiblities of his horn, and has fallen short to convey what he intended, thus transitioning to his own voice. AOTY contender fo' sho'.
I've seen a great reception among the greater music community for this album, and I've got mixed feelings about it.

I stand by my opinion that this is a great album, and I'm happy more people are discovering Pharoah Sanders thanks to rave reviews from the likes of Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork. That being said, I feel like many of us are gettin carried away in the excitement of a new album by a jazz legend. In a lesser or greater extent, some are praising the album, a) in order to show they "get" and enjoy "high culture" music; or b) in order to feel like a genre-defining masterwork was released during their lifetime.

Like I said, I think I'm somewhat guilty of this too, and there's nothing wrong with it. It just makes me wonder how we will feel about this album in 5 or 10 years time. Will the hype stand like it has for albums like "The Epic", or will it fade away once the new "cool thing" appears?

I've seen a great reception among the greater music community for this album, and I've got mixed feelings about it.

I stand by my opinion that this is a great album, and I'm happy more people are discovering Pharoah Sanders thanks to rave reviews from the likes of Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork. That being said, I feel like many of us are gettin carried away in the excitement of a new album by a jazz legend. In a lesser or greater extent, some are praising the album, a) in order to show they "get" and enjoy "high culture" music; or b) in order to feel like a genre-defining masterwork was released during their lifetime.

Like I said, I think I'm somewhat guilty of this too, and there's nothing wrong with it. It just makes me wonder how we will feel about this album in 5 or 10 years time. Will the hype stand like it has for albums like "The Epic", or will it fade away once the new "cool thing" appears?
It will still be a boring ass album with a cool cover.

I know there was a few Nat Birchall fans on here, seems to have made some available on vinyl again

Some available at Jazzman, including Live in Larissa at quiet a cheap price

WWOZ is doing their Jazz Festing in Place again this year.

Tune in to WWOZ April 22-25 and April 29-May 2 as we partner with the Archive of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation to bring you "Jazz Festing In Place 2021," featuring rare and historic sets from Jazz Fest's past, on the traditional spring weekends of the festival!

In addition to the music, the broadcast will include interview segments highlighting the food, crafts, and heritage of New Orleans and Louisiana. We will also be sharing recipes for some of your favorite Jazz Fest cuisine, and helping fans connect with favorite local festival food and craft vendors.

Listen worldwide, free, at wwoz.org, or locally at 90.7 FM.

WWOZ is doing their Jazz Festing in Place again this year.

Tune in to WWOZ April 22-25 and April 29-May 2 as we partner with the Archive of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation to bring you "Jazz Festing In Place 2021," featuring rare and historic sets from Jazz Fest's past, on the traditional spring weekends of the festival!

In addition to the music, the broadcast will include interview segments highlighting the food, crafts, and heritage of New Orleans and Louisiana. We will also be sharing recipes for some of your favorite Jazz Fest cuisine, and helping fans connect with favorite local festival food and craft vendors.

Listen worldwide, free, at wwoz.org, or locally at 90.7 FM.

There are some awesome looking shows on the roster. I'm also very interested in the food :)

Updates on the 2021 AS series! They will all be from original master tapes. All RKS except for Ray Charles, which is Boom Boom.

Titles include:
June 2021:
Blues and the Abstract Truth
Sonny Rollins...On Impulse!

July 2021:
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021:
Mingus Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

September 2021:
Ella Wishes You A Swingin Christmas
Ella & Louis (@JohnnyCashFan --I think you were looking for this one)
Ella & Louis Again

October 2021:
Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard
Coltrane - Crescent
Bill Evans - At Town Hall Vol 1

November 2021
Duke Ellington Meets Coeman Hawkins
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests

December 2021
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Roy Haynes - Out of the Afternoon

Updates on the 2021 AS series! They will all be from original master tapes. All RKS except for Ray Charles, which is Boom Boom.

Titles include:
June 2021:

July 2021:
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021:

September 2021:
Ella & Louis Again

October 2021:
Coltrane - Crescent

November 2021

December 2021
No Art Blakey 😭😭😭

Titles include:
June 2021:

July 2021:
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021:

September 2021:
Ella & Louis Again

October 2021:
Coltrane - Crescent

November 2021

December 2021
Some great titles coming for sure Mike. 8-10 "for sure" on my list at least. I know AS will be getting some of my allocated BN funds.
Anyone know how AS preorders work, do they charge your card and then it comes off until it ships ?

Titles include:
June 2021:

July 2021:
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021:

September 2021:
Ella & Louis Again

October 2021:
Coltrane - Crescent

November 2021

December 2021
Wow. Thanks, @MikeH. This will help me plan ahead and possible sell some inferior reissues in advance. The three must-haves IMO are: (1) Bill Evans, Trio '64 (long missing from my otherwise very robust Evans' collection) (2) Mingus, Black Saint (I've almost bought that Superior Viaduct reissue several times, was holding out for an expensive Analogue Productions copy) and (3) Roy Haynes, Out in the Afternoon (have a great Japanese pressing, but this one may top it?)

No shortage of Art Blakey!

Amazon product ASIN B08RH7J8YG
Not a big fan of Witch Doctor. I was hoping they’d do a reissue of Art Blakey !!!Jazz Messengers!!! which is my favorite Blakey impulse album and a bit hard to come by a great copy currently

Back