Jazz

Damn, shipping is more than the record to the US.
I've had a couple of messages on Instagram about the US shipping after I posted a photo of it. Really crazy price, it's like $60 with shipping right? The only thing I would say is that it says the black pressing will be available in shops, so hopefully, there is a US distributor lined up.

I've had a couple of messages on Instagram about the US shipping after I posted a photo of it. Really crazy price, it's like $60 with shipping right? The only thing I would say is that it says the black pressing will be available in shops, so hopefully, there is a US distributor lined up.
Yep, right around there. I've probably grabbed enough lately, but really enjoyed their first one.

I'm tempted to wait for the black vinyl. £25 in the UK isn't exactly cheap for an ep.

The quality on their previous issues wasn't amazing, is the black vinyl; going to be a premium pressing? I know this says high quality. I'm in two minds.

Just saw this among other titles available for pre-order at Pure Pleasure, not sure that I've seen anyone post it yet.

edit - it links to this:

1619709263968.png

I'm tempted to wait for the black vinyl. £25 in the UK isn't exactly cheap for an ep.

The quality on their previous issues wasn't amazing, is the black vinyl; going to be a premium pressing? I know this says high quality. I'm in two minds.
Looks like they are on a different label for this one so might be better pressings.

I've seen a great reception among the greater music community for this album, and I've got mixed feelings about it.

I stand by my opinion that this is a great album, and I'm happy more people are discovering Pharoah Sanders thanks to rave reviews from the likes of Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork. That being said, I feel like many of us are gettin carried away in the excitement of a new album by a jazz legend. In a lesser or greater extent, some are praising the album, a) in order to show they "get" and enjoy "high culture" music; or b) in order to feel like a genre-defining masterwork was released during their lifetime.

Like I said, I think I'm somewhat guilty of this too, and there's nothing wrong with it. It just makes me wonder how we will feel about this album in 5 or 10 years time. Will the hype stand like it has for albums like "The Epic", or will it fade away once the new "cool thing" appears?

Let’s face it, it’s an accessible album for people who have little experience with PS. Are these the same people who are gonna be into the intensely beautiful excess that is Black Unity? Nah! But who puts that on at a party? 😉

Let’s face it, it’s an accessible album for people who have little experience with PS. Are these the same people who are gonna be into the intensely beautiful excess that is Black Unity? Nah! But who puts that on at a party? 😉
Something that has always amazed me about PS is how wide his spectrum is. His sound can be super harsh and chaotic, or it can be extremely soulful and meditative. It may be his overblowing "squeaks" that first made him stand out when he started playing with Trane, but what always gets me about his music is his BEAUTIFUL tone when playing ballads. Was it Ben Webster who had a reputation of being both a very "hot" and "serene" player? Well, I think Sanders could give him a run for his money.

Last edited:
Not true for me. I think this new album is great, and I dig plenty of "beautiful excess." Maybe the crossover has to do w/ me also enjoying Ambient music?

But point taken in one way, and it's not unique to this album. Fawning by the more mainstream music media miraculously discovering an act that's been around for years/decades as soon as they crossover into pop, country, or anything "accessible" is annoying.

Not true for me. I think this new album is great, and I dig plenty of "beautiful excess." Maybe the crossover has to do w/ me also enjoying Ambient music?

But point taken in one way, and it's not unique to this album. Fawning by the more mainstream music media miraculously discovering an act that's been around for years/decades as soon as they crossover into pop, country, or anything "accessible" is annoying.

For the record I do like the album.

Wow this looks to be a super clean copy, great score!

McGhee appeared on a lot of Charlie Parker's albums, especially for Dial. There's an infamous track where Parker is so wasted that he has to be propped up against a wall. When it got to Parker's part you could hear he was about to stop and McGhee shouts 'Blow' to wake him up and get him to keep playing. They kept it in the track and released it. Parker was so furious when it was released that he threatened to burn down all the record shops that stocked it :ROFLMAO:

Listen to this around 37-38 seconds and you should hear it.

Bethlehem was such a underrated label and pipeline.

If I may add McGhee's couple albums on Contemporary (OJC) are well recorded (Roy DuNann) and very enjoyable as well.

I've not seen this posted before, so wanted to drop it here, (apologies if repost, Hassan Ibn Ali, double vinyl, released Mar 2021)

In 1964, drummer/composer Max Roach convinced Atlantic Records to record him with producer Nusuhi Ertegun at the helm. Sessions were held in December of 1964 and the resulting album, The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan was released three months later. Atlantic invited Ali to record again in August and September of 1965, but before mixing sessions could turn the recorded material into a releasable album, Ali had become incarcerated on a narcotics possession. Atlantic shelved the album. Thirteen years later that tape went up in flames in an Atlantic Records warehouse in Long Branch, New Jersey. For years a rumor circulated, that a copy of the sessions had been made, but attempts to locate it never turned up a source… until now.

Restored and mastered by Grammy® Award-winning engineer, Michael Graves from a tape copy of long-lost reference acetates of the sessions and with notes from producer Alan Sukoenig and author/pianist/teacher, Lewis Porter, Omnivore Recordings is proud to present this long-thought lost piece of jazz history. The project, co-produced by Alan Sukoenig and Grammy® Award-nominated producer, Patrick Milligan, and Grammy® Award-winning producer, Cheryl Pawelski, features the seven surviving tracks from the album sessions along with three surviving alternate takes. Packaging includes photos from December of 1964 by notable photographer Larry Fink, who refers to Ali as, “the Prokofiev of jazz.”

Personnel on the August 23 and September 7, 1965 sessions that took place at Atlantic Studios in New York City were Hasaan Ibn Ali, piano; Odean Pope, tenor sax; Art Davis, bass and Kalil Madi, drums and all are profiled in the liner notes.

Did anyone pick this up? Any thoughts on quality?

Yea! Someone posted this title a little bit ago and it looks rad. I have no experience with Omnivore so haven’t pulled the trigger on this one yet. Not sure what to expect quality-wise!

@MikeH Have you heard anything more about this one?

Its on its way to me from Banquet at the moment. Really excited for it and from what I have read on Instagram its a decent sounding album. Really looking forward it.

You've persuaded me. I was looking at something to get free shipping at Honest Jons & have ended up with £120's worth in the cart (I can't seem to focus on work this week).

Have you bought any of the Outernational Sounds albums? Some appear top be pressed at Pallas, seems like they have some good titles.

Back