Jazz

Ryo Fukui In New York​

A Letter From Slowboat​

Anyone have either of these? If so, any thoughts? Considering these but they are pretty expensive at around $40 each from what I've seen.
Listening right now, sounds great in my opinion. Quiet, great separation between instruments and Ryo and his squad are really swinging here. Can even hear Ryo clearly humming along to his own playing which I think is always charming and immersive. I would say Ryo Fukui In New York feels almost like you’re listening to a very lively Bill Evans session whereas A Letter From Slowboat feels like it has an unmistakable Ryo sound that makes Scenery and Mellow Dream so special. It’s an interesting thing to remark on so forgive me if that’s a bit vague. Somehow “... In New York” sounds American while “Letter From Slowboat” has a very J-Jazz sound to it. Both sound great though, in line with the Scenery repress.

Listening right now, sounds great in my opinion. Quiet, great separation between instruments and Ryo and his squad are really swinging here. Can even hear Ryo clearly humming along to his own playing which I think is always charming and immersive. I would say Ryo Fukui In New York feels almost like you’re listening to a very lively Bill Evans session whereas A Letter From Slowboat feels like it has an unmistakably Ryo sound that makes Scenery and Mellow Dream so special. It’s an interesting thing to remark on so forgive me if that’s a bit vague. Somehow “... In New York” sounds American while “Letter From Slowboat” has a very J-Jazz sound to it. Both sound great though, in line with the Scenery repress.
I grabbed both of these (and have Scenery) and haven't even had a chance to open Slowboat and NY yet! Glad to hear they sound good though.

Ryo Fukui In New York​

A Letter From Slowboat​

Anyone have either of these? If so, any thoughts? Considering these but they are pretty expensive at around $40 each from what I've seen.

Got both of them last week and I love them. Think Slowboat is a particularly strong session but each one has a bit of a different flavor. As for sound quality I believe they sounded pretty damn good. I’ll throw on In New York right now for ya and report back with more collected thoughts.

I grabbed both of these (and have Scenery) and haven't even had a chance to open Slowboat and NY yet! Glad to hear they sound good though.

Really love Slowboat - the energy of the session, the accompanying players and the backstory of it are pretty great. Like @Ghost said it just has an unmistakable Ryo Fukui vibe.

Yussef Dayes Trio - Welcome to the Hills

Copying this over from the pre-order thread:

74429-a519c7997799bfce9b28410f3b33d50e.png

Yussef Dayes Trio (ft. Rocco Palladino & Charlie Stacey) - Welcome to the Hills. Recorded live in Copenhagen in 2019. Pressed on 2xLP black smoke vinyl with lenticular cover.

Prices are ridiculous though - £50 / €56 / $ 67USD + shipping. Works out at £55 shipped here in the UK.

Order here: Yussef Dayes Official Online Store : Merch, Music, Downloads & Clothing

VMP variant on black/silver galaxy limited to 500 for $45/50USD - this looks very similar to the pressing for sale on Yussef's site, but VMP claims it is exclusive.

Yussef Dayes Trio (ft. Rocco Palladino & Charlie Stacey) - Welcome to the Hills. Recorded live in Copenhagen in 2019. Pressed on 2xLP black smoke vinyl with lenticular cover.

Prices are ridiculous though - £50 / €56 / $ 67USD + shipping. Works out at £55 shipped here in the UK.

Order here: Yussef Dayes Official Online Store : Merch, Music, Downloads & Clothing

VMP variant on black/silver galaxy limited to 500 for $45/50USD - this looks very similar to the pressing for sale on Yussef's site, but VMP claims it is exclusive.

56€ (+shipping) is just crazy. For less money I had three Blue Note Tone Poet records shipped from the US to France. I get that artists see their exclusive releases going for insane prices on Discogs and others and they want to receive part of it but I am not sure increasing price on these is the right option.

56€ (+shipping) is just crazy. For less money I had three Blue Note Tone Poet records shipped from the US to France. I get that artists see their exclusive releases going for insane prices on Discogs and others and they want to receive part of it but I am not sure increasing price on these is the right option.

This vinyl price gouging in endemic in the hip hop/rap scene at the moment - really don't want this bleeding over into other genres.

While browsing Discogs, I found a seller in UK who is selling test-pressings of future Pure Pleasure / Strata-East reissues. Below are 4 that will be released in the first months of 2021. There is other stuff in his Discogs shop.

View attachment 77799

Noted as OOS on Pure Pleasure website but should be available for pre-order very soon:

1606993296210.png

Ryo Fukui In New York​

A Letter From Slowboat​

Got both of them last week and I love them. Think Slowboat is a particularly strong session but each one has a bit of a different flavor. As for sound quality I believe they sounded pretty damn good. I’ll throw on In New York right now for ya and report back with more collected thoughts.
Listening right now, sounds great in my opinion. Quiet, great separation between instruments and Ryo and his squad are really swinging here. Can even hear Ryo clearly humming along to his own playing which I think is always charming and immersive. I would say Ryo Fukui In New York feels almost like you’re listening to a very lively Bill Evans session whereas A Letter From Slowboat feels like it has an unmistakable Ryo sound that makes Scenery and Mellow Dream so special. It’s an interesting thing to remark on so forgive me if that’s a bit vague. Somehow “... In New York” sounds American while “Letter From Slowboat” has a very J-Jazz sound to it. Both sound great though, in line with the Scenery repress.

There are two recent series of Ryo Fukui reissues, Japanese and European, and both sound really good, pressed on high quality vinyl and I never had any issue with both We Release Jazz or Project Re:Vinyl record. I would recommend going for the European as it will probably be way cheaper than trying to purchase the Japanese (if still available), the quality is the same and there notes in English. I like how @Ghost described the live album and couldn't say it better.

There are two recent series of Ryo Fukui reissues, Japanese and European, and both sound really good, pressed on high quality vinyl and I never had any issue with both We Release Jazz or Project Re:Vinyl record. I would recommend going for the European as it will probably be way cheaper than trying to purchase the Japanese (if still available), the quality is the same and there notes in English. I like how @Ghost described the live album and couldn't say it better.
I grabbed the bundle awhile back from the WRJ bandcamp page on a bandcamp Friday I think. Excited to give them a spin soon!

This vinyl price gouging in endemic in the hip hop/rap scene at the moment - really don't want this bleeding over into other genres.
This is insane. Whats worrying is, as @mutem said, the price hikes becoming standard amongst new releases. The price of recent Nuyba Garcia release was a bitter pill to swallow and this Yussef Dayes is just as bad.

This is insane. Whats worrying is, as @mutem said, the price hikes becoming standard amongst new releases. The price of recent Nuyba Garcia release was a bitter pill to swallow and this Yussef Dayes is just as bad.
I just can’t justify the price for a GZ pressed album. At these prices I’ll just do high res streaming. Really hoping this doesn’t become the norm. With VMP, tons of stuff just sits there without selling out, so I’m hoping they bring their prices down on store exclusives soon. Did they learn nothing from Shabaka’s exclusive??

I set up the Sauce and Dogs releases to spin tomorrow and I just wondered if there's been any more clues as to who the group actually is? I had a quick search online but still shrowded in mystery. Reminds me of the 1000 Kings release, which was a mystery group for a while.

The way the jackets were feels like the Ill considered guys.

No clue either but let me know if you find out.

Not sure what you paid for Nubya, but this Yussef Dayes is double what I paid (both the album and total price with shipping). Hers was a pretty decent £25 for a double album. Just to defend her a little. Anyway, at these prices I'm out. Unless it's my favourite album of the year there's no way I'm paying this much...

Back