Jazz

Yea--that's why I originally said I don't like SOME of the Mosaic boxes...The Bud Powell I have is called "The Complete Blue Note Bud Powell". The other ones that are just album collections are nice. But there are tons of them that just have every take of every track on a certain album. I think there's a Miles Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way box that fetch a pretty penny.
Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood. Yeah I wouldn't want any of those ones either, especially if the alternate takes mess with the flow. Having a bonus disc is one thing, but I would probably only listen to it once and forget about it.

Took a deep dive into this recording and some of the history associated with it and its players and decided it looked like a great choice for the Target sale. There were 4 copies when I ordered it this morning; 1 left now for anyone who might be interested.

Picked up all of these in the target sale along with two AS series preorders and nabbed The Cooker on Amazon Prime Day for $18. This is probably the most well rounded and exciting single jazz haul I’ve gotten. Every single one of these is spectacular. Hard to pick a favorite, I think The Cooker sounds the best (hair rising good) but that Larry Young is something else, I’m a real sucker for a good organ solo, Lee Konitz is perfect for a moody night (Brad Mehldau steals the show here), and I’m in LOVE with the conga playing on ATs Delight, and what can I say about Stanley? He’s quickly becoming one of my favorite players.FE6AE93B-8576-4D68-9A32-DADB161429F3.jpeg

I have this. it's not too bad ,but I would like them to hit out a bit more, it's all a bit laid back for me , but you might Love it !!
Took a deep dive into this recording and some of the history associated with it and its players and decided it looked like a great choice for the Target sale. There were 4 copies when I ordered it this morning; 1 left now for anyone who might be interested.

I was just looking through the list for the RSD Black Friday items and the 3 I am looking forward to are all Resonance Records releases. I really need to find a cheaper shop though as my local has them priced at:

£45 Bill Evans - Live At Ronnie Scott's
£45 Monty Alexander - Love You Madly: Live At Bubba's
£76 Sonny Rollins - Rollins In Holland: The 1967 Studio & Live Recordings

I kind of expected the £45 prices but the £76 is insane. Im really hoping its an error. Even at 3LP's, that's crazy high. So, if anyone does see any of these online cheaper than above (UK and Europe), a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

I was just looking through the list for the RSD Black Friday items and the 3 I am looking forward to are all Resonance Records releases. I really need to find a cheaper shop though as my local has them priced at:

I kind of expected the £45 prices but the £76 is insane. Im really hoping its an error. Even at 3LP's, that's crazy high. So, if anyone does see any of these online cheaper than above (UK and Europe), a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Monty Alexander and Bill Evans are 39€, Sonny Rollins 65€.

Monty Alexander and Bill Evans are 39€, Sonny Rollins 65€.

Let me know if you want to purchase the records from them and need some help.

Let me know if you want to purchase the records from them and need some help.
Cheers buddy, much appreciated! I will wait until closer to the date, there's only 1 or 2 UK shops that I have seen then listed on so far. Im hoping my local was just expensive compared to the others. Great to have the French store as a back up though, I really think these will be great releases.

Cross Post from the J-Jazz thread :

Le Très Jazz Club have two records coming on November 20th. It says only 99 copies are still available.

Akira Miyazawa, Masahiko Sato, Masahiko Togashi, Yasuo Arakawa - Four Units

Four Units is a kind of Japanese jazz "all star". Recorded in Tokyo on April 1969, it was released the same year on Union records.
On the first two long songs that open this album, “Four Units” and “Dull Slumber”, we can feel the influence of the “avant-garde” scene of US jazz (and in particular ESP Disk), without however the music sounding too "free". A whole new vibe on the astonishing cover of "Scarborough Fair", in a modal style, where the shadow of McCoy Tyner seems to hang over the piano. The next two tracks, "Rainbow Trout" and "Black Bass", are still pretty much along the same line, sometimes oscillating towards "hard bop", the album ending in a blaze of glory with a solo by Masahiko Togashi.
While this album had a second pressing in Japan in the 70s, this is the first time it has been reissued with its gatefold cover.

Mabumi Yamaguchi Quartet - Leeward

Leeward opens with "Dawn" a long and slow piece led by a Fender Rhodes played in flanger mode, on which Mabumi Yamaguchi expresses a certain melancholy, which we also find on “Dewdrop”, a duet piece with Ichiro Doi at the piano. The rhythm picks up on "Distant thunder", a kind of jazz-funk samba in which Mabumi Yamaguchi lets each of his musicians take a long chorus before ending by taking up the haunting theme of this superb piece. The beautiful "Leeward" closes the album in a slightly more traditional but equally mastered style. It is not known if the cover of this album contributed to its lack of success when it was released, but it is almost impossible today to find an original pressing of this record.
A reissue was therefore more than necessary !

Reissue of super-rare 1969 free jazz album, from the master tapes:
I’d love this but the $29 shipping nixed it unfortunately. Contacted them to see if there would be international distribution and they said no. If anyone else in the U.K. is interested though, juno do have a placeholder for it but whether they get them or not, who knows.

Reissue of super-rare 1969 free jazz album, from the master tapes:
Well, it may have started with the master tapes, but it's definitely a marketing tactic. Lots of verbal gymnastics here:

"Original Scotch 201 master tape playback was done with a Mike Spitz, ATR Services rebuilt Ampex ATR100 series tape machine equipped with new Flux Magnetics heads using the finest Aria (David Neill – Cranesong) discrete class-A reproduce amplifiers. A Maselec MTC-2 transfer console was used for analog routing and monitor control. Audio was monitored using main ATC SCM-150 and alternate Ocean Way HR4-S tri-amplified monitor speakers. Clicks and hum were fixed using iZotope RX-7 audio restoration software running at 384 kHz sampling rate, 32 bit floating point. New analog cutting master tapes were recorded using the same ATR100 series tape machine precisely calibrated for use with Recording The Masters SM911 low print, high output tape, at 15 IPS, 2-track stereo. Merging Horus digital to analog converters at 384 kHz sampling rate were used to reproduce the restored audio. There is virtually no loss in sound quality from the original analog recording when using this extremely high resolution digital setup for restoration work. The frequency range of 10 Hz – 192 kHz of such a system is even capable of preserving the residual bias signal from the original tapes and is well over twice the audio frequency range that can be recorded onto analog tape. The dynamic range of more than 120 dB is also much greater than the dynamic range of typical analog tape, which is about 90 dB. The new analog master tapes for lacquer cutting retain the warmth of analog audio but with underlying imperfections in the original source corrected."

Regardless, very interested but it is awfully expensive at $39 shipped. I mean, the price is VMP high.

Cross Post from the J-Jazz thread :

Le Très Jazz Club have two records coming on November 20th. It says only 99 copies are still available.

Akira Miyazawa, Masahiko Sato, Masahiko Togashi, Yasuo Arakawa - Four Units

Four Units is a kind of Japanese jazz "all star". Recorded in Tokyo on April 1969, it was released the same year on Union records.
On the first two long songs that open this album, “Four Units” and “Dull Slumber”, we can feel the influence of the “avant-garde” scene of US jazz (and in particular ESP Disk), without however the music sounding too "free". A whole new vibe on the astonishing cover of "Scarborough Fair", in a modal style, where the shadow of McCoy Tyner seems to hang over the piano. The next two tracks, "Rainbow Trout" and "Black Bass", are still pretty much along the same line, sometimes oscillating towards "hard bop", the album ending in a blaze of glory with a solo by Masahiko Togashi.
While this album had a second pressing in Japan in the 70s, this is the first time it has been reissued with its gatefold cover.

Mabumi Yamaguchi Quartet - Leeward

Leeward opens with "Dawn" a long and slow piece led by a Fender Rhodes played in flanger mode, on which Mabumi Yamaguchi expresses a certain melancholy, which we also find on “Dewdrop”, a duet piece with Ichiro Doi at the piano. The rhythm picks up on "Distant thunder", a kind of jazz-funk samba in which Mabumi Yamaguchi lets each of his musicians take a long chorus before ending by taking up the haunting theme of this superb piece. The beautiful "Leeward" closes the album in a slightly more traditional but equally mastered style. It is not known if the cover of this album contributed to its lack of success when it was released, but it is almost impossible today to find an original pressing of this record.
A reissue was therefore more than necessary !

wish I could grab these-- but man, $28 for shipping to the US is rough.

Any Charles Tolliver enthusiasts (has played on albums from Jackie McLean, to Horace Silver, to Max Roach, to Andrew Hill) on this thread? His latest LP, Connect (2020), is now $8 on deepdiscount:

Oh man I wish this was in the UK. Its a killer album and I cant give enough praise to Gearbox Records, they are fantastic.

Any Charles Tolliver enthusiasts (has played on albums from Jackie McLean, to Horace Silver, to Max Roach, to Andrew Hill) on this thread? His latest LP, Connect (2020), is now $8 on deepdiscount:

Use code PLUNGE for 10% off this already rockin' price. Thanks for the heads-up!

Back