Jazz

Ive just bought this deal over on Zavvi

I mean, i have couple of those titles already but for that price, wow!

Looking forward to what i will get in the mystery bundle!
Damn, for that price it's worth a punt. I put an order in. Even if there's just 3-4 that I want its a good deal (plus I can sell the rest for the price I paid / PIF them).

Hey guys,

Looking back to my jazz collection, I realize that I love swing / big bands / brass bands records more that the other sub-genres.

I already got Basie at Birdland (and Atomic Basie on the way), Duke's Blues in Orbit, Preservation Hall Jazz Band's That It ! and a few Dirty Dozen Brass Band records.

Where should I go next ? I guess a little more Ellington would be nice, but what are the best records, there is loads of entries on Discogs it's overwhelming, are there some classics or modern artist I'm overlooking in this subgenre pocket ?

Hey guys,

Looking back to my jazz collection, I realize that I love swing / big bands / brass bands records more that the other sub-genres.

I already got Basie at Birdland (and Atomic Basie on the way), Duke's Blues in Orbit, Preservation Hall Jazz Band's That It ! and a few Dirty Dozen Brass Band records.

Where should I go next ? I guess a little more Ellington would be nice, but what are the best records, there is loads of entries on Discogs it's overwhelming, are there some classics or modern artist I'm overlooking in this subgenre pocket ?
Gil Evans’ Big Band stuff is pretty good. Sam Records recently put out Jef Gilson - A Gaveu which is great too. Not really sure it would class as Big Band (probably at a push), but Seed Ensemble have up to 12 musicians playing at one time for a modern kick.

In terms of Ellington, his music at the cotton club is great, as is his Bethlehem years. Count Basie might be worth looking into as well, especially if you like Ellington.

Hey guys,

Ellington At Newport is really great. Originals are cheap. There is a MoFi, but I'm not sure of the source or quality, it is a silver label.

Hey guys,

Fire! Orchestra/Angles 9 do some really interesting modern big band stuff, but a lot more avant garde than Ellington.

Ive just bought this deal over on Zavvi

I mean, i have couple of those titles already but for that price, wow!

Looking forward to what i will get in the mystery bundle!
Hope that image with so many awesome titles isn't as misleading as their blurb allows for it to be.

Hey guys,

There's an AP pressing of Ellington's Jazz Party, highly recommend it!

Damn, for that price it's worth a punt. I put an order in. Even if there's just 3-4 that I want its a good deal (plus I can sell the rest for the price I paid / PIF them).

And at the risk of sounding ridiculously tight... You can get another 2% off from top cashback 😂

Oh, Pure Pleasure have this one, that's probably my next stop. Does either of you have an opinion on the Duke meets Basie record ?
I actually have heard the Basie/Ellington album (the 'First Time' one) and its a great session. Im pretty sure both of their bands combine. Lots of great back and forth piano-play between them.

My only worry for this would be that they're all DOL/grey market. Possibly almost as bad is BN75 as I've had a few of those in the picture on BN75 and I gave them all back...

My only worry for this would be that they're all DOL/grey market. Possibly almost as bad is BN75 as I've had a few of those in the picture on BN75 and I gave them all back...
Yeah that would definitely be worst case. I've only had a couple of the 75's and they dont sound overly bad to me, although I know they should be avoided as the majority were poor quality. At £3 each though its worth a try, at the worst I would just dump them on ebay for a quick sale to get my money back.

So, I just received my Getz/Gilberto Acoustic Sounds Series 33 rpm Reissue. Looks like a great pressing and nice gatefold tip-on jacket. Anyways, the advertisement insert they include in the record jacket shows the other titles on the reissue list:

The two Coltrane albums for October, the two Nina Simone albums, etc.

But it also shows two Bill Evans albums, that I didn't know were on the list for reissue.

Bill Evans Trio '64 and Bill Evan Trio '65 are the two albums. Which is exciting, because I've been after both of these titles. It says it'll be a 2020 release, but since these have all been pushed back a month, I imagine these Evan's releases will be January 2021 releases.

Anyone see a formal announcement for these Evan's reissues?

So, I just received my Getz/Gilberto Acoustic Sounds Series 33 rpm Reissue. Looks like a great pressing and nice gatefold tip-on jacket. Anyways, the advertisement insert they include in the record jacket shows the other titles on the reissue list:

The two Coltrane albums for October, the two Nina Simone albums, etc.

But it also shows two Bill Evans albums, that I didn't know were on the list for reissue.

Bill Evans Trio '64 and Bill Evan Trio '65 are the two albums. Which is exciting, because I've been after both of these titles. It says it'll be a 2020 release, but since these have all been pushed back a month, I imagine these Evan's releases will be January 2021 releases.

Anyone see a formal announcement for these Evan's reissues?

Nope, only this from @Ghost yesterday.

Found this on Reddit, if it’s legit looks like two Bill Evans titles are slated for the AAA treatment. Not familiar with those two albums in particular, what’s the consensus?View attachment 63336

Back