Jazz

Thanks guys for the recs, I'm gonna go check a lot of this during the weeks to come. Keep'em coming if you have more. :)
Maybe not the best recommendation if you meant more traditional big band, but of course Mingus made some amazing albums that can be classified as big band.

Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson on first pass sounds great, especially Louis’ horn. The bass at times comes on a bit strong and overpowering, the only part that snapped me out is there seemed to be a pretty consistent cracking/fuzz out of Louis’ voice at his highs which I’m still trying to figure out if that’s a pressing problem or perhaps my gain is too high? I don’t know. Throwing on Getz/Gilberto now

Sorry for the triple post lmfao. Went back to Louis & Oscar and dropped the gain down and the top end vocal distortion has disappeared and left me with one beautttifullll sounding record wow. Anyone who was worried about these not being up there with the Tone Poets, think again, these sound magnificent. My first listen was compromised by my little technical issue and as a result I couldn't fully focus on the entire sound but now that it's gone I'm in heaven.

Sorry for the triple post lmfao. Went back to Louis & Oscar and dropped the gain down and the top end vocal distortion has disappeared and left me with one beautttifullll sounding record wow. Anyone who was worried about these not being up there with the Tone Poets, think again, these sound magnificent. My first listen was compromised by my little technical issue and as a result I couldn't fully focus on the entire sound but now that it's gone I'm in heaven.
Thanks for the reviews! Excited to receive Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme.'

FYI ebi soda got back to me saying there was a problem with the press which is why it has been delayed

Last edited:
I got the same two albums yesterday and have not spun them yet but the packaging is right up there with the tone poets for sure.

Anyone get the Ezra Collective record stay release?Good tunes. Although peak RSD price gouging.
I didn’t get in this morning in store but ordered it this afternoon. Pretty steep for two songs but the run is super small and packaging looks sweet with the comic. Hopefully sounds great.

Can confirm, it is indeed heavenly. Very excited for the rest of this series.

I thought we had an ECM thread, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, I wanted to share with y’all a great album I've been listening to during the weekend: Dave Holland Trio - Triplicate
Jack DeJohnette is my favorite drummer of all time, and I think Dave Holland is the bassist he teams with the best. This is an exciting post bop album where compositions are explored and stretched to the maximum of their possibilities. I'll be in the lookout for a copy on wax.

I thought we had an ECM thread, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, I wanted to share with y’all a great album I've been listening to during the weekend: Dave Holland Trio - Triplicate
Jack DeJohnette is my favorite drummer of all time, and I think Dave Holland is the bassist he teams with the best. This is an exciting post bop album where compositions are explored and stretched to the maximum of their possibilities. I'll be in the lookout for a copy on wax.

Here for more ECM discussion!

20200831_102552.jpg

Finally got my copy of the Getz/Gilberto AS release. I already had the AP 45 version but I was excited for this one as I prefer single LPs, less flipping required during playback.

1st impressions:
- The packaging of the AS series release is pretty good, I would say on par with Tone Poet releases, and not quite as good as 33rpm packaging from MM or AP. The disc itself is flat and super clean.
- My understanding is this version uses the same George Marino master as the AP45 so I expected them to sound very similar if not identical. After doing a playthrough comparison, I'd say they are very close. Maybe its just me but the midrange is slightly more present on the AS, and the AP45 sounds more detailed (more highs). The AS is excellent overall. I prefer either of these over the Mofi version that I sold a few months ago, that one sounds "bloated". That said, I've always preferred the OG mono version as I don't enjoy the hard panning of Astrud Gilberto's vocals in Stereo.
- If you're looking for a keeper version, definitely get this one! If you can spare the extra coin, the AP45 has much better packaging.

Any one pick up any of the 4 Terumasa Hino RSD releases and can cop on quality ?

@Skalap - was it you who picked all of these up last month?

I haven't got any of this year's RSD bunch. I had the Sun Ra box in my basket thrice at different sellers and was defeated by sites crashing and Resident's wank £15 shipping fee so I gave it a pass after half an hour. I'll grab Kawaida at some point though, it's a good album.

Back