Jazz

This is out today: Sage Secrets (EP), by PYJÆN

I'm facebook friends with Dylan Jones and he's had a rollercoaster of a couple of years. His mental health has basically meant he had to stop playing with Ezra Collective and Joe Armon-Jones' band. He's a really talented player and a seemingly lovely guy and so I urge everyone to support him by ordering this EP. Limited to 100 copies!

i love the first record. will this have a regular release or is that all ?

I just picked up Dexter Gordon - Live at the Playboy Jazz Festival. It's a 2018 RSD title that seems to be readily available (though supposedly limited to 2,000 copies). Highly recommended! It's a great set that sounds fantastic--I don't know that I could distinguish it from a Tone Poet title. In fact, there's one track, 'You've Changed,' that alone is worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
Lobbing this here since I'm sure you fine folks will be able to answer and provide advice.

A few questions:
  1. How do you know when / if Analogue Productions does a repress of something that is out of stock?
  2. Is the 45RPM really worth the price and inconvenience for Oliver Nelson - Blues and Abstract Truth?
  3. How is the 33RPM pressing below?

Lobbing this here since I'm sure you fine folks will be able to answer and provide advice.

A few questions:
  1. How do you know when / if Analogue Productions does a repress of something that is out of stock?
  2. Is the 45RPM really worth the price and inconvenience for Oliver Nelson - Blues and Abstract Truth?

I can only answer number 1 -- if the item is backordered you can add to your cart and purchase, then you'll get a notification once it is processed. If it's something that is no longer available at all then they'll usually add a notification for it on the home page if it somehow returns to stock ('Back In stock' with a link to the items), or if you are subscribed to their emails you'll get the Back In stock notice there as well. That's how I found out about recent limited Blue Note restocks and also the Norah Jones collection

Just finished watching Round Midnight for the first time and just wanted to thank you guys who recommended it. Such a fantastic film, it really captures the plight of a jazz musician (or at least what I understand it to be from the books I have read).

Plus Ryo Fukui in New York
I ended up grabbing the bundle of the two. Wish it included digital, but no big deal. I have a feeling I am going to be buying quite a few records today with bandcamp waiving their fees for the day. Plus I just sold $300 of records and that money is just sitting in my Paypal balance right now hah.

A few questions:
Buying now if it's out of stock locks in the price. I believe someone on here backordered the Blue Train AP and it locked in the price at $50 or so when it restocked even though AS bumped the price up to $75 on the restock.

As for #2, I'd say it depends on your setup. I like to think I have a pretty decent setup and don't notice a HUGE difference between 33 and 45 if the mastering is the same. All my jazz AP records do sound phenomenal though. I just picked up Something Else and Midnight Blue AP pressings from the memorial day sale and they sound amazing.

For #3--that's the Vital Vinyl reissue series. I have heard good things about the series but do not own any. They can usually be bought for around $20 so you might be able to find a better deal than AS unless you're bundling and getting free shipping from them.

I've really been digging Galaxies Like Grains of Sand by Hampshire and Foat and was bummed to see that the vinyl has been sold out everywhere. The cheapest discogs copy was $75 US and couldn't find it anywhere else. I contacted the artist and the label/distributor on bandcamp and they said there was no immediate plan to reissue/repress it. Then last night, I got the old discogs "for sale" email last night and there was a copy suddenly available for £22 plus shipping available through the distributor! Immediately went to go buy it and made the mistake of seeing what else the shop had on discogs and when I went to check out...it was sold out. Luckily I checked their website instead and they had more copies available. Also seems like they added one more copy to discogs if anybody is interested:

A few questions:
Oliver Nelson -- I own both the Vital Vinyl release and the AP -- the AP is without question a substantial difference in quality -- enough so where the 45RPM trade-off for me is well worth it.

I've really been digging Galaxies Like Grains of Sand by Hampshire and Foat and was bummed to see that the vinyl has been sold out everywhere. The cheapest discogs copy was $75 US and couldn't find it anywhere else. I contacted the artist and the label/distributor on bandcamp and they said there was no immediate plan to reissue/repress it. Then last night, I got the old discogs "for sale" email last night and there was a copy suddenly available for £22 plus shipping available through the distributor! Immediately went to go buy it and made the mistake of seeing what else the shop had on discogs and when I went to check out...it was sold out. Luckily I checked their website instead and they had more copies available. Also seems like they added one more copy to discogs if anybody is interested:

Love this LP. Thanks for the update - I've been trying to track down a decent priced copy for some time. Which website had some? I'll take a look for one

Love this LP. Thanks for the update - I've been trying to track down a decent priced copy for some time. Which website had some? I'll take a look for one
So funny story. I'm clearly lazy because I've just seen a copy on Amazon of all places. They've really surprised me with some of the vinyl I've found on there recently. @MikeH thanks for reminding me of this one.

So funny story. I'm clearly lazy because I've just seen a copy on Amazon of all places. They've really surprised me with some of the vinyl I've found on there recently. @MikeH thanks for reminding me of this one.
I got it from the Kudos site directly:
Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
Now its out of stock. It was also on their discogs page for £22 plus shipping but that copy is gone too. I don't think they did a repress, I think the label/distributor must have just found a few more copies lying around! I'd like to think my emails to them made them look for more copies haha. I have heard that the vinyl sounds awesome too so I'm excited to get it.

I got it from the Kudos site directly:
Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
Now its out of stock. It was also on their discogs page for £22 plus shipping but that copy is gone too. I don't think they did a repress, I think the label/distributor must have just found a few more copies lying around! I'd like to think my emails to them made them look for more copies haha. I have heard that the vinyl sounds awesome too so I'm excited to get it.

thanks for this. Out of stock everywhere except amazon UK. Managed to order The last copy, hope it arrives.

I‘be been really liking the dreaming jewels (and girl and robot with flowers) but haven’t listened to his collaborations, he seems to have so many at the minute. I also haven’t really explored the Athens of the north catalogue properly yet, there seems like a lot of promising stuff there.

It seems a repress of The Comet is Coming albums appeared on Bandcamp today.

Not that I want to stoke demand but I bought the 'Death To The Planet' blue EP a while ago on eBay not knowing how popular it was (I paid around £10 if I remember correctly) and couldn't believe the prices it goes for on Discogs. Not sure how limited this reissue set is, but I certainly would not sleep on it if you don't have them already!

Back