Jazz

Bloody hell, this is an expensive week of releases:

The many tentacles of the Ezra Collective are challenging (and expensive) to keep up with.

Really looking forward to the Ronin Arkestra album!

Jesus, I just saw this one too. Sounds heavenly.

Huge fan of Fletcher Moss Park. Good reminder to give it a spin.

Finally got around to picked these bad boys up! I have honestly been searching for one of the books in this series for ages so im really excited to have these at last! I LOVE reading reviews from the time an album was released (especially when the critic slates an album which is now seen as having legendary status - or vice-versa)

These two covers 1960 and 1961. The '60 includes black and white photos (which I didnt expect) and the '61 has sketches on musicians.

IMG_7521.JPG

So I had an interesting one last night. I got home at a ridiculous hour after a heavy drinking session with some work colleagues and the client on a project I am working on. Decided to spin a record before bed and went to listen to a j-jazz record I picked up last week called 'Teru Sakamoto Trio - Farewell My Johnny/Left Alone' on the Solid Records / Project Re:Vinyl label. I was especially excited to hear their version of 'My Favourite Things'. I got it out of the sleeve I looked at the A and B labels side to see where that track was and it wasn't there. In my semi-drunken state I kept flipping back and forth trying to find it until I realised it was the wrong record in the correct sleeve......turns out it was this - Takao Uematsu ‎– Straight Ahead.

So, I emailed the seller expecting to have to put up a bit of a fight (it had been almost 2 weeks since I placed the order but I hadn't got around to checking it until now) but he actually replied to me straight away. Not only was he super apologetic but he also said he had a second copy of the record I wanted, and that he would have it shipped out to me for free, and said to keep the other record. Super nice gesture!

So I had an interesting one last night. I got home at a ridiculous hour after a heavy drinking session with some work colleagues and the client on a project I am working on. Decided to spin a record before bed and went to listen to a j-jazz record I picked up last week called 'Teru Sakamoto Trio - Farewell My Johnny/Left Alone' on the Solid Records / Project Re:Vinyl label. I was especially excited to hear their version of 'My Favourite Things'. I got it out of the sleeve I looked at the A and B labels side to see where that track was and it wasn't there. In my semi-drunken state I kept flipping back and forth trying to find it until I realised it was the wrong record in the correct sleeve......turns out it was this - Takao Uematsu ‎– Straight Ahead.

So, I emailed the seller expecting to have to put up a bit of a fight (it had been almost 2 weeks since I placed the order but I hadn't got around to checking it until now) but he actually replied to me straight away. Not only was he super apologetic but he also said he had a second copy of the record I wanted, and that he would have it shipped out to me for free, and said to keep the other record. Super nice gesture!

Damn, lucky break! There is a killer version of Afro Blue on that album.

You know what would be a nice gesture on your part? If you PiF'ed it to me🙃

Damn, lucky break! There is a killer version of Afro Blue on that album.

You know what would be a nice gesture on your part? If you PiF'ed it to me🙃
Yeah that’s what I thought, I’ve been in situations like that where the seller has tried making out that it was somehow my error.

Haha had the wrong record been something I’m not interested in I would have happily sent it your way, but in this case it’s definitely something I’m keen to listen to and keep.

Yeah that’s what I thought, I’ve been in situations like that where the seller has tried making out that it was somehow my error.

Haha had the wrong record been something I’m not interested in I would have happily sent it your way, but in this case it’s definitely something I’m keen to listen to and keep.

Haha, I was only kidding around. That's a great album to have gotten accidentally. Maybe you can get him to send you the right record in the wrong cover, so you have the correct cover for both albums.

The wife and I have been spending a bit of time spinning records together. She's been taking an interest in jazz. I've just about played through everything in my collection (maybe 15-20 jazz records) for her. Came to Dexter Gordon's Both Sides of Midnight. I don't remember when/where I bought this record, but at that time I knew very little about jazz, labels, pressing details, etc. I check the hype sticker and see its ORG, mastered at Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas. All things I know now to be good signs. And it sounds lovely.

I'm wondering if there are other records people like from ORG that I should add to my want list? I see they have Ben Webster, Johnny Griffin, Duke Ellington, and others. What are some other must-haves?

The wife and I have been spending a bit of time spinning records together. She's been taking an interest in jazz. I've just about played through everything in my collection (maybe 15-20 jazz records) for her. Came to Dexter Gordon's Both Sides of Midnight. I don't remember when/where I bought this record, but at that time I knew very little about jazz, labels, pressing details, etc. I check the hype sticker and see its ORG, mastered at Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas. All things I know now to be good signs. And it sounds lovely.

I'm wondering if there are other records people like from ORG that I should add to my want list? I see they have Ben Webster, Johnny Griffin, Duke Ellington, and others. What are some other must-haves?
The Freddie Hubbard CTI and Ornette Coleman records I have sound pretty great. The Coleman records might be a touch bright but sound great nonetheless. I was pretty ambivalent towards Coltrane’s My Favorite Things though.

I’ve got about 5 Thelonious Monk that are Good, London Sessions Vol 1, 2, and 3 Criss Cross and Underground, a few freer Jazz, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler , Arg Ensemble Of Chicago, that you might want to check out before purchase and s couple if others, they are Hubbard ‘s Straight Life And Coleman live one that is the only one I’d not recommend as it’s a bit bright and has some sibilants on the hi-hats on my copy.

I have their repress of Chet Baker Chet Is Back! and that one is great. The Mingus records are nice from what I remember too. They also have some Coltrane. All their stuff is pressed nicely.

I recently bought Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk on ORG, which you should buy just for the cover alone. It's also a great album
solomonk

Back