Jazz

I have a leather mat and didn't really hear any difference. But I will say the felt one that came with my TT had a tendency to stick and I would think felt would trap more dust.

Awesome mat mostly because I can just lift records on and off while it's still spinning (totally unnecessary on my deck but I do it anyway out of sheer laziness sometimes) and because I'm a full on audiophile-nervosa sort.

I do this all the time. I can't see it causing much of a problem. It can't be that much tension on the motor? If your TT is that fragile maybe there is something wrong with the design?

I do this all the time. I can't see it causing much of a problem. It can't be that much tension on the motor? If your TT is that fragile maybe there is something wrong with the design?

So I have a Thorens TD124 that has this clutch mechanism. You hit a switch and it lifts the lighter upper platter off the heavy subplatter stopping the spin so you can just easily switch stuff that way. Then you drop the upper back down and it's instantly at speed. Kinda makes lifting the record off the mat without turning it off unnecessary but I do it anyway sometimes. I also wouldn't do it if I were still using a cork/rubber hyrbid mat since that would scuff the records up, but it would be fine with a felt mat or leather or the Herbie's which is this weird tacky material.

So I have a Thorens TD124 that has this clutch mechanism. You hit a switch and it lifts the lighter upper platter off the heavy subplatter stopping the spin so you can just easily switch stuff that way. Then you drop the upper back down and it's instantly at speed. Kinda makes lifting the record off the mat without turning it off unnecessary but I do it anyway sometimes. I also wouldn't do it if I were still using a cork/rubber hyrbid mat since that would scuff the records up, but it would be fine with a felt mat or leather or the Herbie's which is this weird tacky material.

I'm not much of a gear guy, but this seems like an unnecessary complex process that can simply be done with your hands.

I'm not much of a gear guy, but this seems like an unnecessary complex process that can simply be done with your hands.

Ha, the description sounds more complex than it is. Actually very simple and genius mechanism in practice.

Ha, the description sounds more complex than it is. Actually very simple and genius mechanism in practice.

I meant more the engineering and parts to make this happen. How much could it have saved on the price to not have this and used something that has been worked for millennia, our hands. Granted their may be lots of other things about the TT that are great.

As I said I'm a bit of a gear dummy and find the research that goes into these things tedious.

Is it this one he is referring to? Michael fremer is usally spot on in his reviews and I have been looking to pick this album up at some point. I know its re-mastered ect, but god damn £60 is a lot to drop on one reissue.

Michel Legrand Featuring Miles Davis - Legrand Jazz
Yeah, that appears to be it. I bought it here for $54.98 Michel Legrand-Legrand Jazz-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds , free shipping stateside and I had to think long and hard about it before pulling the trigger. But man, he turned that sound knob to an 11. Thats what got me.

Last edited:
I meant more the engineering and parts to make this happen. How much could it have saved on the price to not have this and used something that has been worked for millennia, our hands. Granted their may be lots of other things about the TT that are great.

As I said I'm a bit of a gear dummy and find the research that goes into these things tedious.

Totally, and there are a few reasons why they made it like that. Its from the 1950s thru the early 60s so it was a product of the design ideas of the time period. If you're interested there's a lot of info out there about the 124, it's actually a very cool machine.

Spiritual Jazz 10 is coming from Jazzman, The Prestige and New Jazz labels.
You got a link bud? Cant seem to find anything online.

I love the Spiritual Jazz series. Wish I could get my hands on some of the earlier ones I'm missing but they are often pretty pricey.
They go for crazy prices now! I have the 2 Blue Notes and the second J-jazz. Wish I discovered them sooner.

You got a link bud? Cant seem to find anything online.

They go for crazy prices now! I have the 2 Blue Notes and the second J-jazz. Wish I discovered them sooner.
You can get 2 for fairly cheap:

And 5 isn't terrible...but the others have one off pressings and are crazy expensive or super hard to find now sadly. I have the same as you plus #2.

Back